Third Man Document Records Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scoogs, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoogs

Scoogs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Third man:

2. Harty_88

Harty_88 Forum Resident

Been waiting a while for this series and love all things TMR. Preordered the regular black copies that are in the store just now, no idea when they'll release details on the coloured ones but I'd prefer to have black.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Interesting idea. What's the consensus on Document releases with respect to mastering?

4. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I'm interested to know that and if they have done any touching up or fiddling as well. It's peculiar when they mention nothing of the sound or mastering and only new artwork and liner notes. Not that average music fans care as much, but you would think there would be some remark about the state of the recordings considering how old they are.

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

VERY cool idea & news , they do have sound samples within each listing , not that it will tell anyone source/Mastering ...... but a very cool idea .

6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

"Remastered by Gary atkinson" here is a video on the lp's

7. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Heh. I was wondering why they hadn't branched out into reissues yet. Aside from the roster acts, I mean.

8. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

"Most importantly these records will remain in print and available on vinyl as long as Third Man Records exists."

9. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Kind of wish they had a subscription service just for old blues reissues. I'm going to wait for some reviews before ordering.

10. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

God bless you Third Man Records! I have been collecting the Lead Belly CDs and they're Awesome :). Will be Happy to pick up these new vinyls, especially the Charlie Patton LP.

11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

There is Leadbelly CD"s on TMR?

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Actually, I picked up a TMR reissue of Flat Duo Jets' classic Go Go Harlem Baby last year. Surprisingly, the pressing wasn't half bad.

goldwax likes this.
  13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

This is indeed wonderful news.

BTW, I'm sure this thread would get more attention if the thread title would be more specific and mentioned Charley Patton or Blind Willie McTell.

14. Scoogs

Scoogs Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're probably right, but I left it vague to allow for future artist additions to the series.
    I'm looking forward to these and can't wait to see who else they add to the line.

15. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

No. There currently on Document. But i cant imagine it being that long until there put out by TMR

16. Gary Atkinson

Gary Atkinson New Member

It’s late here in the U.K.. So, a little bit of browsing before lights out. Came across this forum and thought that I would give some info on the sound quality. I don’t usually do this but was inspired by the genuine interest, here. As part of the team project between Document Records and Third Man it was agreed that rather than just hand over copies of the tracks, as they have already appeared on Document, we would revisit all of the masters in the vault and go over them again, from the start, and make improvements on the sound restoration. In a few cases we have managed to get hold of better copies of the original 78s!

A tremendous amount of time has been spent on the restoration. So much so, that the releases were probably delayed by several months until everyone, including ourselves and Jack, where happy with the result. I might also add that we have also worked on thirteen albums, so far, which are now finished and will make up the rest of the volumes for these first three artists.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

18. matt79rome89

Not sure what the state of this thread is seeing as J.A.W has posts in both threads pointing to the other threads, but Gary thanks for the post and welcome. I'm sure everyone here that is interested in these releases is eager to hear more.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Gary, will you have Skip James and Blind Lemon Jefferson available on Third Man Records?

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The other thread was closed, so this is currently the only active thread about this. And not everyone is interested in these releases; I can only speak for myself, of course, but my Yazoo and Blues Images CDs sound great and I don't need this material again, the more so since to my ears the sound on Yazoo and Blues Images is so much better than the sound of the same material on Document.

21. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I'd like to get a couple of these. Are these going to be available at places other than through Third Man Records itself? When will they be available? Any price info on the colored vs. black vinyl?

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

They will also be sold at the usual vinyl retailers as well.

23. matt79rome89

Thanks for keeping everything on one thread. To clarify, I did not say everyone is interested. I said everyone that is interested would probably like to hear more from Gary. Sounds like the mastering will not be the same as prior Document releases.

24. matt79rome89

They will be available at your local record store January 29th. List price is $16 each. You can also buy the bundle of all three at www.thirdmanstore.com for $40 plus shipping which comes out pretty affordable. As for the colored version, they will release more info later, but it will most likely be extremely limited and hard to find knowing Third Man. Also more expensive.

25. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

I've got much of this material as well (in one form or another), but I went ahead and ordered the bundle anyway. I'm encouraged to see that they will be using different masters. I hope Son House and Skip James aren't far behind!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.