Third Man Records and Revenant Records to co release Paramount box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by malfano, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malfano

malfano Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm new here and haven't seen a thread about this yet...
    "The collection features 800 songs (the imminent volume two, slated for a November 2014 release, will include the same number), 200 restored original ads and images, two books – one a history of Paramount, the other a field guide to the artists and recordings – and six 180-gram vinyl LPs, all of which come in a hand-crafted oak case modeled after those that caried phonographs in the 1920s. With so much music to explore, The Rise and Fall will also include a special USB drive containing a unique music and image app with myriad indexes that will let you easily explore the humongous collection."
    I for one can't wait.
    Micky
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-paramount-records-set-20130924#ixzz2fw2nEKVh

JulesDassin likes this.
  2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Lots of controversy in blues circles about this box.

1: the pricetag: $469!!!

2: there are indications the USB will contain mp3s, rather than lossless tracks

3: there are concerns that Third Man/Revenant have sought to avoid licensing these tracks from the owners. They are not public domain.

At $469, this isn't some loss-leader labor of love. Let's hope someone at Third Man or Revenant will address forthrightly the issues in points 2 and 3. I hope they aren't true, but if they are, the potential buyer should be forewarned.

3. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

edit ... us sound recording copyright is 70 years after death. who knows how that works if the label owns it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't know much about U.S. copyright laws, but it seems that some very old recordings are still copyrighted.

5. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Here is what TMR had to say when I asked them about the price of this...

We do not have a price point for the paramount set yet - everything we know now is in the press release, and we'll be sure to update soon.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

interesting...

7. signothetimes53

Other music vendors have reported that $469 is the suggested list.

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I saw this on their facebook page last night , no way will I be able to afford this , That much I do know .. looks way cool though.

9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

If recordings from 1927 aren't Public Domain by now, it just serves to demonstrate the absurdity of the current copyright laws.

10. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I want it,but looks like it's gonna be EXPENSIVE....

11. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

I don't understand... are the majority of the 800 songs only available on the USB?

12. signothetimes53

Correct.

There are six vinyl albums , but no CD or DVD physical media, just USB

13. ruben lopez

if physically it's only the books and 6 vinyl albums i't cant be that expensive!(i hope)

14. signothetimes53

You can hope, but the expensive price tag is very real. This is intended to appeal at least in part to the collectors market.

15. ruben lopez

I've been waiting for this project since last year news of the revamped revenant. i own all of their releases but 400 in a month's notice is way too much
    for my pockets,let's keep dreaming....

16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Let's hope those records get a slighly less expensive release. I've been really enjoying the TMR's Document Records blues reissues, particuarly the Mississippi Sheiks.

17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

No CDs, I am out.

USB my ***

Timmy84, Marc Marlowe, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

~$450 for a USB? I'm out . . .

19. ruben lopez

I don't know much about the quality of third man records,but i know for sure that Revenant delivers.
    Let's not make rushed judgements...

20. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

6LPs for $450 better be delivered with gold.

Hey Vinyl Man and One Louder like this.
  21. ruben lopez

number two worries me BECAUSE I HATE MP3.
    number three doesn't because being Dean Blackwood a lawyer i guess he knows how to deal with this issue.

22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Are you referring to the John Fahey box as the revamp? I didn't know it was going to continue past that release, but glad it has new life.

I own almost all the Revenant releases, and would love another one. Yes, price is a factor, but they make the best boxed sets of all time, so you know it'll be special. As for the mp3s, those sound like a bonus, how else do you put out 800 songs in one set? I know some people prefer lossless, but I can't see them selling something that most consumers wouldn't know how to play.

23. ruben lopez

Do you know for sure they are mp3's?

Their website (revenantrecords.com)doesn't say nothing new,but they have been issuing little nuggets of info in facebook.
    Price is a MAJOR factor to me now,but i'm really biased towards them in my judgement and i want this release.they started talking about it in august of 2012,since then i've been checking the net about it.

24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I don't know, was just repeating what was stated here. But reading the FB page (didn't realize there was one until now), it does says newly digitally remastered, so if they put money into restoring the tracks, maybe they will be lossless. It says app, so maybe it's a program for your PC, tablet, what have you, to listen to the music. I think the price might be high due to the packaging and two books included.

25. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I'm a blues fan and can afford this, but I'm not going any where near it after hearing a digital skip on my Revenant Doc Boggs vinyl.

It is a pretty set - too precious for me

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.