Third Man Records and Revenant Records to co release Paramount box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by malfano, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Do we think the price of the vol. 2 set will be about the same as vol. 1? (Might it possibly be *more* expensive?) Can't imagine there's any chance it'll be less.....

Did not have the cash for the first set but this one is mighty tempting.

2. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Wow:bigeek:

Yesterday i was looking for news about it,i checked third man,revenant,blues forums etc...:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

3. ruben lopez

I hope the price is less since it looks smaller.
    The Charlie Patton picture is not included:D

4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Do you know that for a fact? If so, it would be a signal that Third Man chose not to obtain a license to use the photo...but using it in the promo materials without a license also seems unlikely.

5. ruben lopez

Revenant used the photo before...and third man too:whistle:

6. signothetimes53

Okay, but you didn't answer my question. Do you know for a fact that no Patton photo is included in the box? And just to be clear, the headshot-only version of Patton has been used for 50 years after it was found in a catalogue. The full body shot with guitar is owned/copyrighted by John Tefteller. Its use or non-use in this new box would reveal much.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  7. ruben lopez

Sorry i was joking about the big poster!
    I know next to nothing about what's included.
    [​IMG]

Scope J, eddiel and Mr Bass like this.
  8. signothetimes53

Fair enough. I couldn't tell if you were joking, or if you knew some inside information.

9. ruben lopez

No problem,i know you as the one with some inside information:)
    Got any to share?

10. signothetimes53

I never have had any inside info, I just monitor various blues boards and discussions there. Thus far, Vol. 2 has generated very little dialogue, but it is early yet.

11. ruben lopez

:righton:

12. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I hope they just send it to me for free like the U2 album :D

13. signothetimes53

The question about the rights to the best Paramount transfers of Charlie Patton's recordings was put to John Tefteller today (who owns those rights, and those of the full body Patton photo and the various Paramount ads he publishes in his yearly calendars), at the "Real Blues Forum" Facebook site, and this was his response:

"No, they have not dealt with me and are not allowed to use any of the remastered records that Nevins has done for me--or the Patton full body photo--or any of the restored advertisements that I have used in my Calendar series. And I have no confirmation that they have resolved their licensing "issues." but I hope they do!"

And when asked directly about whether he knows the source of the Patton Paramounts, he replied:

"It is my understanding, from Alex van dur Tuuk, who I consider a friend and a stand-up guy, that they did not use any of Nevins transfers in the project. I applaud them for that!"

And he lastly says that it is his understanding that the box does not use the super-rare Son House "Mississippi County Farm Blues"/"Clarksdale Moan" recordings, of which Mr. Tefteller is the owner of the only known/discovered copy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  14. ruben lopez

IIRC on the PATTON box they used the small picture of only Patton's head.
    And since the mastering was done with the same team of Christopher King and David Glasser my guess is the Patton songs and others of his orbit
    will sound exactly the same on this new project.
    But let's remember that Patton it's not what this box is all about.:)

15. signothetimes53

And yet their promo for it places Patton's face front-and-center on a mantle. They certainly understand that Patton is the star of their second box, though not the whole focus.

16. Having just blown a few grand on a new headphone/amp/dac setup I was quite smugly sure that I could resist spending any more money on records for the rest of the year. Looks like that resolution isn't going to last long, but the price will be the final determination.

17. ruben lopez

There's no point in doing another Patton box.

18. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

Basement Tapes, Beatles Mono. Paramount I and II. 2014 is going to go down as the all time budget buster for sure.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  19. signothetimes53

If someone ever discovers Patton's unissued Vocalion masters, there would be...but it is almost certain they were scrapped back in 1938.

It was also announced this week by John Tefteller that he has found another copy of Patton's "Heart Like Railroad Steel"/"Mean Black Moan", only the 2nd copy ever found. He says the sound quality for MBM is dramatically better than the one that's been circulating for 40+ years. He is also hopeful that Richard Nevins can get a better quality transfer of Steel, though he says an improved transfer isn't yet a certainty. Both should be released a year from now on the CD that will accompany his 2016 calendar.

20. ruben lopez

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't know too much about this story. What's the background i.e. almost certain they were scrapped?

22. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

How could you skip the George Harrison and Monty Python box sets?

Vinyl_Blues and Okonrad like this.
  23. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

Cause I did :)
    But yes if those are in your wheelhouse, than the pain just grows and grows...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  24. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I almost pulled the trigger on part I last night. I was signed up, had it in my cart, checked paypal to see I had the funds...which I did.

But I don't know...the USB format to me was kind of not what I'd really be looking for. I loved the idea of the 8LPs but say another 600-800 tracks of MP3s.....it's just going to get lost in the shuffle of a lot of my other stuff I think....just have this huge digital library...and I am not a fan of PDF magazines or books. I am not old school and anti computer...quite the opposite....but I am trying to get OFF my computer more and more and enjoy music and books more analog you might say.

:)

I want to look up a lot of the music and listen though....so I will be seeking it out. I am sure a lot of this can't be found elsewhere...but maybe my deeper exploration of the blues can be done with a slightly different path.

The book and field guide idea I think is very cool though too!

anything collection people would suggest with a lower price point that might be a fun listen without all the frills? Preferably LPs.

thanks!

25. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Honestly, I see the MP3 tracks as a bonus to the set, and not the main selling point. I believe the idea was to have a simple format that was accessible to many people, and easy to use. I haven't bought it yet, I was kind of hoping they would do a bundle of the 2 volumes for one price. Seeing how they still have copies for sale, I don't think it was a hot seller. That being said, they were costing them almost as much to produce as they were retailing for, mostly because of the packaging.

I doubt any other label would put together such an amazing product for such a forgotten (by the general public) company, so once these are sold out, I doubt we will see something of this calibre again.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.