Third Man Records Vault #36 (Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Wanted to get it but decided not to I'll stick to my original vinyl and 1989 cd. Maybe I'll get it? I'll see what the responses here are.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Phaneronic likes this.
  2. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Bet it's a lot of people who forgot to cancel after the Jack White package. Not to mention the people who think all TMR-related stuff is collectible, when that bubble has pretty much burst. There are also a lot of folks who have multiple Vault accounts and resell as a matter of habit. Think of it this way: If you have two and sell one for double your money, your Vault membership is free and you still get your package.

ex_mixer and Phaneronic like this.
  3. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Forum Resident

I think it's that last one because there's always a lot of reselling of Vault packages, though there seems to perhaps be a high turnout this time. If anything, I'm hoping that last one will result in a few affordable copies for people who couldn't manage it during the sign-up period…

4. Champagne Boot

It's a pretty badly-kept secret these days that if you miss out on a Vault package, you can pretty much always get one for the subscription price if you wait about a month, even less.

Phaneronic likes this.
  5. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

I can't comment on the SQ because my turntable is inaccessible. But the package is stunning.

The cover photo is brilliant -- if you have only seen it on a CD, this is a treat. The lyric sheet is heavy stock. I never realized it's rare because both my LP and CD have one, but this is surely better quality than what's in my LP (which is in storage).

The replica trout mask is a hoot. I know what I'm doing this Halloween -- I can't believe I never thought of it before. I'll need a stove pipe hat and a shuttlecock, but that's easy. And I can use the tote bag that night too, though I'm sure I'll use it for groceries etc. before then.

The epitaph is wonderful. I'm not a big Jack White fan, but this is spot on. The dust blows forward but to dust he has returned back. Beautiful.

Does anyone know if the versions/mixes on the single are the same as the album? I assume they are.

So if you're a big Trout Mask fan and are considering eBay, I'd recommend going for it if the price is reasonable. If the SQ of the LP is good, that's even more reason to pull the trigger.

danner, asdf35, Phaneronic and 2 others like this.
  6. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Finally home and able to open my package. Agreed with everyone on the packaging, just stellar. only see the album cover on my cassette and it looks magnificent on the LP cover. Thick tip on gatefold jacket feels really nice and the extras are all quality. I think my only "complaint" is the Pachuco Cadaver 7" isn't in a flip-back sleeve like the original, a choice which I find particularly irritating on reissues when the ability to recreate them is still available and this is a pricey collectors set. Other than that I personally don't like the Third Man Records logo being everywhere (feels like it doesn't belong on this vault release more than any other) but these are very minor qualms and I really have to give this set and Jack White props for getting this album the attention it deserves.

RandelPink, Larry L and Phaneronic like this.
  7. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

The packaging is stunning, as someone who worked for various musical retail establishments including Virgin and the original Fopp chain for 17 years which ended in 2007.

I've seen this sleeve more times than I care to mentioning doing the A-Z or putting out stock and it's certainly one of those you are never likely to forget, it's one of those where the content more than lives up to the title and the image on the sleeve.

I can't really say what I think yet it's a first listen, my Wife is having hysterics at times while we listen to it and she heard it many years ago before we met likely under the influence of the herb.

I must say I was prepared for something that on first listen wasn't going to click with me but I'm willing to give it another few more goes before accept that it's just not for me.

My copy is pristine and after a run through my Project RCM sounds fantastic, barely any surface noise and I can't recall any surface noise.

I can imagine those that are familiar to this and hold it in high regard are going to be delighted with this presentation.

RandelPink, Larry L and Phaneronic like this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You worked in record stores for 17 years and never listened to this album?

AZRunner and Phaneronic like this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

10. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Played side one and two....side one not a single blemish, side 2 starts with a few slight ticks then disappears after a few revolutions.
    A Stellar presentation by Third Man for this gigantic record. Hard to add to all the comments, maybe add this book to read as you listen to the music.
    [​IMG]windows screenshot

RandelPink, asdf35 and Phaneronic like this.
  11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Damn. I didn't see confirmation in the promos that it would have a lyric sheet. That would have been the only reason for me to buy this. Tried to score an original many times w/ a lyric sheet, was too expensive.

Phaneronic likes this.

12. Years ago, on eBay I paid a pretty penny just for the lyric insert

Phaneronic and asdf35 like this.
  13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I would often search ebay for that exact auction. Saw it once - TMR lyric insert from the estate of Herb Cohen! I slept on it, was sold by the time I woke up. (Was it you? ha)

Phaneronic and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I spy a copy of Sheet Music by 10cc in the corner. Now imagine if Third Man put an equally in-depth reissue of that out.

ex_mixer and Phaneronic like this.
  15. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

It might have been attempted to have been put on by a member of staff at some point although I don't recall but even a indie like Fopp was it wouldn't have lasted long and as far as a major like Virgin are you kidding???

For the most part the music that got played was stuff that would bring people in or catch peoples ear, I know TMR is held in high regard but your most likely to clear a store putting it on than have them queueing up to buy it, sorry!

Also even when the store was closed I don't recall anyone I worked with would have tolerated such an album, sorry to disappoint but working in a music store is not always like High Fidelity.

16. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

My bad, I honesty thought the same and spread the fire that the lyrics were NOT included. Normally TMR will mention everythingggg they put into these VPs, all they way down to tip on covers and small extras. They even felt the need to mention the photo graph being hi Rez in the promo blurb, where’s the mention of the lyrics sheet? Especially when no other reissues have included it?? It was honestly a big surprise and shame on TMR, they could of have had a lot more subscribers had it simply been photographed or a quick mentioning

17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

No worries! I was looking for a reason to avoid spending money, and the lack of product detail helped. Although I agree Third Man should have mentioned this and known it was more a rarity than the record itself!

I just hope all the Jack White fans realize how lucky they are to get a lyric sheet as they take instagram selfies with this new kewl record they got (before flipping it).

RandelPink and Phaneronic like this.
  18. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

That's all we can do is hope lol, but after reading some FB comments on all the 'check out my new vinyl's' posts, there will be plenty of flipping I can assure you. Discog already had one for sale for $65, my guess is these will even drop to around $50 if a month or two.

Phaneronic and asdf35 like this.
  19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Waiting for mine. I’m new new to tmrv. Do you get shipment info/tracking via email or your dashboard or do you just have to be patient?

Phaneronic likes this.
  20. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Forum Resident

You're supposed to get a tracking number. Double check your e-mail and if there's nothing there I would e-mail customer service. I've not found a way to check tracking numbers on the account dashboard, unfortunately. Most people should've gotten theirs by now.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  21. Champagne Boot

If you use gmail, my TMR tracking emails usually go to the Promotions tab. It isn't unheard of, however, for people not to get tracking numbers, yet have the package show up anyway. TMR has asked people with tracking issues to wait until July 5th to contact them. They tend to want to deal with things after they've sent out all the packages rather than deal with a pile of emails while the process is still ongoing. You're going to get your package either way.

Phaneronic and ceddy10165 like this.
  22. danner

danner Forum Resident

When do they announce the next vault release? This was my first vault outing, so I’m not quite sure how this whole thing works. Since I’m not a huge Jack White guy, I’m probably not going to stay on board, but I’d like to see what’s next before pulling the plug.

Phaneronic and Echoes Myron like this.
  23. Champagne Boot

Should be soon, wouldn't be surprised if it was sometime this week. 36 got announced on April 1st, usually it would fall right about now. 29 was announced on June 30th, 33 on June 19th.

Phaneronic, SBegonias17 and danner like this.
  24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Got mine today. Packaging is gorgeous. Really nice. The vinyl looks awesome too...I agree with upthread, the original promo pictures made it look pretty blah. I am psyched.

Looking forward to giving this a spin!!

25. Champagne Boot

FWIW I was at the Cass Corridor store today and the TMR Pressing chalkboard still listed both LPs and the 45 on the pressing schedule. Not sure if they've left them camped out until the packages are shipped or if they're indeed still pressing for unsent packages, but the stampers are still on the machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.