This is Us : New NBC drama starring Mandy Moore etc.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Just watched the last couple episodes and am all caught up. Really like where the storylines and back stories are going. Wished there was more for William to do though as he was one of my favorite characters.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

i LOVE Mandy Moore but I just can't get into this show.

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The good thing is that the way they develop the back stories we still might see a good bit of William in future episodes.

jriems likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Ron Cephas Jones is still in the credits every week. Bodes well for more William.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

She is so pretty.

6. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I've been enjoying this season, but the introduction of what we assume is Jack's deceased brother seemed rather forced and tacked on. Almost like the writers at the last minute said "what new character can we introduce". In all the flashbacks of Jack's younger days, there was absolutely no mention or hint of a brother.

7. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^Agreed. That's the danger of using dual timeframes as part of the normal storytelling. The flashback sequences can become a crutch for the writers to introduce a whole variety of storylines. Too often it expands the width of the story-verse, but does little to delve into the depths.

8. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Maybe he was always asleep in the back seat :D

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, like maybe he lived there, hoping their Dad wouldn't notice him...

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Sam Anderson was incredible tonight as William’s judge. Wow.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Wow. No reaction to the post Super Bowl show? Are you all in shock?
    This show is such a major button pusher. I often turn to it as a palate cleanser from watching things like Ray Donovan or You're The Worst.
    As many suspected Jack didn't actually die in the fire, and there were many clues that pointed to that. I thought Mandy Moore's reaction was well played, and I think combined with the rest of the season so far should get her an Emmy nomination. It's hard for this cast to get any notice when you've got Sterling K. Brown around. This show is expert at twists, and the Tess reveal at the end had me yelling at the screen (something no other show makes me do). I do wonder long term how you cope with a major character dying so early in the series, especially with a show that doesn't give up dead characters very easily. The show takes place in many different time spaces, so we've already seen dead Jack in flashback mode for a long time-so I wonder why even show him dying when it probably won't affect anything we're going to see going forward. What's the point of that? Maybe other than to show the motivation for the actions of present Kate and Kevin.

Silken likes this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I haven't watched it yet, maybe it ran a bit late for those who had to get up & go to work this morning. I guess it started 15 minutes later than expected and some folks who DVR'd it didn't get to see the end. I'm running sick bay for a granddaughter today, I'll watch it later tonight.

13. Splungeworthy

The DVR ratings for this episode will probably be the highest ever recorded.

forthlin likes this.
  14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Spoilers about Jack dying so stop reading now if you don't want to know.

Which is weird because we already knew how he died, mostly. Honestly I'm pretty disappointed that he didn't directly die in the fire (an odd sentence to read I'll grant you!). I think that would be the worst way to die and obviously brutal but I thought they way played it was too softball.

It did make me wonder, when Toby had his heart problem, was there any clues in that episode about a heart attack being Jack's end? Because if not it would suggest they didn't know at that point or else poorly wrote it. Kate is massively affected on super bowl sunday because that's the day her Dad died, it would obviously be extra hard to have your man suffer with heart troubles when that's what killed your father.

Did anyone else find it really bizarre that the doctor says (after Jack is dead) that heart attacks are a risk when you have suffered smoke inhalation, but Jack didn't seem to be hooked up to any monitors or anything? Or that they said they were going to send him home right away?

I was really disappointed with the acting job by Kevin when he was at his father's tree in present day. I mean, he gave absolutely the flattest performance ever while we're being told it's the first time he's been there in 20 years and confronting his demons and emotions. I felt the same way previously when he talked to his old girlfriend outside her apartment when he was making amends and she said 'goodbye forever'. Obviously the previous times when he's mustered up some red eyes/tears it's been unnaturally done. Honestly I'm getting to feel like it's enough already with Randall (even though he's my favorite character along with Rebecca) but every time a tear comes rolling out of his eyes it gets you right in the heart.

They did well in the casting and performance of Toby because he's really propping up the Kate character who is all but unwatchable. When she said "it's the one day of the year I beat myself up" I thought they were going to have Toby say "seriously? just one day a year" because it would have been accurate, obvious and he could have pulled it off in his own way.

I'm going to beat a dead horse and say this could have been an epic two season story, one for the ages. It'll be interesting to see the ratings going forward.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2018
  15. Splungeworthy

Can somebody tell me the origin of the Jack "tree"? What is it's significance? Where do we first see it?
    Also this bit of story serendipity:
    In episode one, the firefighter offers Jack a cigarette and says "Smoke?" And how did he die? Smoke.

Silken likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

It was in the episode where Randall takes William back to his home town. They stop and pay their respects on the way. Since Jack was cremated, it is the closest thing they have to a grave to visit (they had spread some of the ashes there). Not sure if that was the first time it was mentioned as I still haven't seen the earliest episodes.

17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well that was powerful. In a time when so much network tv is given over to some sort of competition/game show, what a treat to see something this well done--you know, writers that can write, actors that can act.:)

Silken likes this.
  18. Splungeworthy

I remember this episode but I don't remember any mention of spreading Jack's ashes there, but that would explain it.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Folks....if you are going to include spoiler information, please use the text code that will add a "SPOILER" button into your post.

At the start of the text you want to hide, type:
    Screen shot 2018-02-05 at 8.35.23 PM.png

OR....on the menu that appears while you are typing your post, find the little icon that somewhat resembles a USA flag, click on it, and drag down to SPOILER after you've highlighted the text you want to hide.

Thanks. Carry on.

20. Dillydipper

In shock about what? The handwriting was on the wall in the previous episode. And, in the kitchen outlet, and, doodling on the floor.

I only hope that nice couple with the garage full of stuff find out what they did to them all...and why nobody's gonna cast them in any nice family programming again until the target demographic settles down a bit.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I love the show but I think that this was the most maudlin episode so far.

22. AKA

AKA Senior Member

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my wife loves this show, raves about it and constantly tells me i just have to watch it.

well, i watched it after the super bowl.

gotta tell you, reminded me very very much of a daytime soap opera, acting and writing.

i doubt i ever watch again.

24. Dillydipper

I love it...it's like Arby's fighting back Jon Stewart with free food for the staff! "#CrockPotIsInnocent!" :laugh:

1: Label on video attributes it as a, This Is Us promo, as oppsed to Sunbeam, or Rival, West Bend, etc...so, why does he say, "The Big Game"? His network kinda has the rights to it for this year. If Jimmy Fallon can say "Super Bowl", why can't Milo?
    2. Up until the end, I kept thinking, "Okay, Peacock, you're getting a little full of yourself, crocodile-tearing a politics message for YOUR exclusive event...this should have aired back in Thanksgiving..." Yeah, timing was right here, but still I think it's a more appropriate message for a real holiday, when family are all sitting down looking at each other instead of eyes glued forward in one direction. Hell, Will & Grace coulda knocked that idea out of the park in November.
    3. Then Jack dips him a bowl of chili...from...;) !

All-in-all a well-"executed"* viral!

*Sorry!

25. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The promo for tonight’s episode shows Jack and Rebecca talking by the tree, so maybe we’ll finally get the backstory on it.

Splungeworthy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.