This week's DVD viewing list...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todd Fredericks, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

This weeks DVD vewing list...

Okie-dokie, I've watched a few DVD's this week. I thought I'd post a list. Maybe I'll make it a weekly thing (if I can remember)...

Thursday: 'North By Northwest'

Friday: Disc 1 of the Full Bean Box (damn funny stuff, needed those laughs!!), Disc 1 'All Creatures Great & Small: Series 1'

Saturday: 'O Brother Where Art Though'

Sunday: 'Dr. Zhivago'

Monday: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Tuesday: 'As Good As It Gets' (can't get any better)

Wednesday: Nada (went out)...

Todd

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cool idea Todd!

An Action Adventure week...and a light touch thrown in...

Sunday-Ice Age-Cute!

Monday-Kiss Of The Dragon-Action Packed! Wow...

Tuesday-XXX-Vin Diesel-Great Job Vin...I remember Vin from the days when he hung out at Sounds Records on St. Marks Place, NYC!!! I'm happy he's so successful! He deserves all of it!

Wednesday- Gone In 60 Seconds...fluffy.

Thurday (Tonight) Black Mask

Friday-Knockaround Guy's

Saturday-Mr Deeds-The Adam Sandler Version...Nothing in my book can come close to the original version, I'm looking forward to veiwing this though...

This is going to be a great thread!

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Re: This weeks DVD vewing list...

Todd, my friend, it's spelt Nauga. :nauga:

It's really nice of you to take a Nauga out. You've a great heart. More forum members should follow your lead.

Thanks for sharing, Todd. :love:

4. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Sunday- Miller's Crossing
    Monday- Barton Fink
    Tuesday- Catch Me If You Can

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sunday night: Double Indemnity/Help!
    Monday night: Stardust Memories/A Hard Day's Night
    Tuesday night: The Lady From Shanghai
    Wednesday night: Stardust Memories encore :rolleyes:
    Tonight: (for the 20th time) Sunset Blvd.

6. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Steve, you don't watch much in color do ya, pal?

7. Michael

Hmmm,
    Millers and Barton are due out on May 29th! Did they get an earlier release? Really looking forward to those two! Love the Coen Brothers! How are they?

8. Todd Fredericks

Michael, tell us more about Vin Diesel hanging out at Sounds Records. I love that place. Ya, 'Gone In 60 Seconds' is a bit on the fluff side...

Steve, it seems like you've been in a Wilder, Lester, Welles, & Allen Festival. Those are great films. Which 'A Hard Days Night' DVD did you watch, MPI or Miramax?

I had a fun time tonight. I went to the Tribeca Film Festival (a friend gave me a comp) and saw Al Pacino's film 'Chinese Coffee'. He gave a nice introduction before the film (a "preamble") and he was joined on stage with Robert De Niro (incredible to see the two of them together joking around) and afterwards he did a Q&A. I thought the film was very well done and the performances were wonderful, funny and very touching....

Todd

9. Todd Fredericks

Right on, Gary!! Next week I'll take my friend :nauga: to a nice Indian restaurant... :)

10. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I think they got moved up to the 20th now, but I'll let you in on something. Fox accidentally shipped some copies to some Sam's Clubs around the US. If you look for a display of Fox titles (the bottom of the display is in red) you might find a copy of each. They didn't ship many copies to these stores, though.

The transfers are great. I forgot how much I loved Miller's Crossing. I really enjoyed the interview with Barry Sonnenfeld on Miller's Crossing. He pointed out that Albert Finney enjoyed working on the movie so much that he wouldn't leave, so on the last day of shooting they dressed him up in drag and stuck him in another scene. They show the shot in slow motion and highlight Albert Finney. Hilarious. I also enjoyed Sonnenfeld's discussion of his choice of wide angle lenses as campared to Kubrick.

Speaking of POE/OPE, the remastered clips of Raising Arizona had me drooling.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Monday- The Family Guy Season 1/ Scrubs Season 1
    Tuesday- The Family Guy Season 2
    Wednesday- Scrubs Season 2
    Thursday- Mad About You Season 1
    Tomorrow- Catch Me If You Can (is it any good?)

(Can you tell my girlfriend is out of town?)

12. Michael

Are they re-releasing Raising Arizona!?! What a neat Movie! Thanks for the info...

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Actually, what happened is that some Sam's clubs (unwittingly, I'm sure) broke the street date. Miller's Crossing is one of my favorite movies. It would be at the top of my best films of the 90s list without hesitation (sorry Goodfellas).

Let's see, this week, it has been

Monday: No movies, IIRC
    Tuesday: Winchester '73/Bend of the River
    Wednesday: Stuart Little 2, Angel Season One Pilot (in Spanish with subtitles)
    Thursday: Funny Face/Road to Perdition

I also managed to watch the Pistons/Sixers games on Tuesday and Thursday. It's been a rainy week in Michigan.

Regards,

14. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Great film! :thumbsup: I really enjoyed the extras on the new DVD too, including the morgue opening and the interactive map of locations. Talk about evoking old time Hollywood.

Ere

15. Ken_McAlinden

I decided to enter each poster's list of watched films into Amazon's little AI brain and see what "Featured Items" and "Quick Picks" they would recommend based on enjoying the listed films, here's what it came up with:

Todd: Casablanca, Good Will Hunting, A Clockwork Orange, Bridge on the River Kwai, 2010: The Year We Make Contact

Michael: Black Mask 2, Bourne Identity, Sum of All Fears, Minority Report, Blade II

Robert : About Schmidt, Road to Perdition, The Pianist, Gangs of New York, Blood Simple

Steve: Yellow Submarine, The Thin Man, Mildred Pierce, All About Eve, Beatles Anthology

Jamie: Cheers - The 1st Season, Two Weeks Notice, Gangs of New York, Road to Perdition, The Bourne Identity

Ken: The Far Country, Destry Rides Again, Rio Lobo, Shenandoah, Night Passage

Observations:

1) Catch Me if You Can seems to be hard-wired to create recommendations for Gangs of New York and Road to Perdition.

2) There is a definite slant towards recent releases, which makes sense for a retail site, I guess

3) Only 2 of the 5 titles recommended for Robert have been released to date.

4) Other than the Cheers box, Jamie's list is nothing like I would have guessed it would turn out.

5) I like my recommendations, but I think I would rather watch Todd's recommendations. :)

Regards,

16. Michael

If I had my choice i'd be watching DVD's of movie's most wouldn't even consider!
    The above list I posted was DVD's brought over by friends! Nothing I'd even consider purchasing...Possible Knockaround Guys and XXX...Like Vin...If I had my choice I'd be watching ALL of James Cagney's Movies!, Jack Palance (House Of Numbers), The Next Voice You Hear, Magic, Tortilla Flat, Ride Beyond Vengence, 80Steps To Jonah, Fastest Gun Alive, The Gazebo, and thousands of others not released yet on DVD!
    Someday....

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I completely enjoyed it. It kept me interested through the whole movie. Great performances also. Do a little internet search after you watch it, you'll see they employed a couple of artistic licenses, but nothing too drastic.
    enjoy.

:thumbsup:

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, "Help" is in color (green).

19. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I've not been in DVD viewing mode this week - so I have only watched (for the nth time :) ) Ice AGE And Pi plus another viewing of laurel and Hardy Way Out West - I received Treasure Planet today so I might give that a spin.

All the best - Andrew

20. Ken_McAlinden

The Help! DVD is a substantial improvement from any of the laserdiscs as it reflects the Paul Rutan restoration efforts, but it will never look pristine due to mishandling of the elements over the years. :(

Regards,

21. Todd Fredericks

Ken,

Thanks for the list from Amazon. The only film I didn't see on it (for shame) is 'Good Will Hunting'. I plan to watch that soon.

Michael, I love Jame Cagney films too. Did you read 'Cagney By Cagney'?

I saw 'Catch Me If You Can' in the theatre and I thought it was fun but not superb. It's good entertainment...

I think I'll watch some Michael Powell films this weekend. I also need to rent 'Super Troopers' because a friend of mine is in it and I still haven't watched it. He gave me some crap about it last night (in jest)....

Todd

22. Ken_McAlinden

It's an OK film, but I'm not sure how it was recommended based on your other titles. The Amazon brain works in mysterious ways. :) Maybe it was the shared idea of the psychologically troubled but gifted protaganist from "As Good as it Gets"?

Regards,

23. Michael

I sure did read "Cagney By Cagney" and every other available publication pertaining to him! One of my all time favorites! A travesty he's not represented on DVD yet! I can discuss him forever...LOL...I was thrilled when I found out "Kiss Tomorrow Good-Bye" was on DVD!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.