This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

A gracious good Friday to one and all.

Ok, I have to admit last week's chart did not go anywhere near as I expected. I was thinking that there might be some discussion of the Blackout, a few recommendations or condemnations of boomboxes, and more importantly, I was expecting a mention or two of Woodstock. Instead things deteriorated into a sort of bubblegum food fight and a lesson in forum etiquette. Boy, was I off the mark! On the other hand it got probably the most his and surely the most responses of any chart post yet. Just like in the tabloids controversy builds readership.

In deference to our host, I will ask that in the future all posts end with the following disclaimer:
    "The oppinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Steve Hoffman or the Steve Hoffman forum"

Seriously, I think most everyone knows that when someone disses a song or artist in any discussion it's purely opinion. I think what upsets folks is when you make it seem like an attack on their intelligence or dismiss an entire genre without factual backing.
    Personally, I'm not going to change my mind about the stuff I like no matter what I read here.

That said, I want to encourage one and all to keep posting your views, memories and opinions of these songs and charts. I look forward to Ed's post on this week's chart.

This week's charts are from August 24, 1959

Code:

1. The Three Bells.......................[B]The Browns[/B]
     2. Sea Of Love...........................[B]Phil Phillips With Twilights[/B]
     3. Lavender-Blue.........................[B]Sammy Turner[/B]
     4. A Big Hunk O' Love....................[B]Elvis Presley[/B] 
     5. My Heart Is An Open Book..............[B]Carl Dobkins, Jr.[/B]
     6. What'd I Say (Part I).................[B]Ray Charles[/B]
     7. There Goes My Baby....................[B]The Drifters[/B]
     8. Sleep Walk............................[B]Santo & Johnny[/B]
     9. What A Differnce A Day Makes..........[B]Dinah Washington[/B]
    10. I Want To Walk You Home...............[B]Fats Domino[/B]

This Week's Top 10 Album Chart

There is no Top Album Chart this week. 
    (The charts begin August 17, 1963)

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

A pretty nice chart. #2, 6, 7 and 8 are all-time classics, #3 and 9 are classy adult-standards entries, and #4 and 5 are lost rockabilly gems. #10 isn't my favorite Fats song, and I have to confess I've never heard #1, but all in all this was a pretty solid week for pop.

3. billh

billh Senior Member

As a nine year old little kid I thought #'s 3 & 5 were pretty wimpy and still do. I liked #1 although now I don't know why. I liked everything else and still do, my favorites being #'s 6 & 7. My tastes haven't changed much in over 40 years.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Love #8! Jeff Beck does a great version too!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A long time ago.

I can sing every song though, which is kind of scary.

I vaguely remember "Lavender Blue" when it was out because I thought it was weird that the guy said "Dilly dilly" a lot in the song. It sounded like one of my kiddie records to me.

I didn't realize that "The Three Bells" was a number one Pop record. What a depressing song (imo); it was originally a French record that went on a lot longer so they say, but I've never heard it.

6. guy incognito

It's really scary if you can sing #8!!!

;)

7. Steve Hoffman

(Sings): "Sleep-walk, doing nothing but Sleep-walk..."

8. guy incognito

Well, I was referring to the version on Dave's chart, natch. :D

9. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, me too. The singing is on there; you just have to play the disc backwards.

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Not a bad week at all. A lot of classic recording that week. Although I was only 5 at the time of this chart. I know and like most of the songs on there. "The Three Bells" by The Browns I am not familiar with. What I have heard over the years of Dinah Washington I like, great talent, but I'm not familiar with "What A Differnce A Day Makes" either.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I was minus 5!
    :D

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And a gracious good Friday to you, Dave.

Yes, the previous TT was interesting, wasn't it? I do love the way you phrased that: "Bubblegum food fight"!:laugh: Yes, well.....no point beating that one to death.

Well, can't see how this chart can get me in much trouble, it's one of the best and most consistent ever presented here:

1. B+
    2. A+
    3. B
    4. B+
    5. B+
    6. A+
    7. A+
    8. A+
    9. A
    10. A

a 10.5....from A- to near A level. Great!

All I can say is WOW, just loaded with classics....Phil Phillips, with that offkey bass singer and all; Ray Charles at his absolute best during his Atlantic tenure, which is saying something(but of course who could resist spinning Part II?); the Drifters, after Clyde, come into their own; Santo & Johnny's instrumental is still almost beyond category; Dinah is around her peak, Fats takes a surprising side street here, the sound not normally associated with him(the guitar licks, for one thing). The Browns' classic rendition remains a strange mix of upbeat sound but depressing subject matter--a life distilled to birth, marriage and death in three minutes, as if nothing much had gone on beyond that; but for all that, very melodic and hard to resist(Chet Atkins' influence, maybe?) Elvis isn't at his peak, but this one really cooks; Dobkins' biggest hit might have gotten lumped in with the teen idols, but it's smoother, well produced(by Owen Bradley?)and the kind of teen record anyone could like. That leaves only Sammy Turner, and while it's a good performance, it's the least memorable entry here, maybe because the song itself isn't anything to brag about.

But a wonderful chart that makes me wish I had a time machine.:)

ED:cool:

13. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dave & Friends,

Another great chart. No Tommy Roe?:laugh:

I like everyone of these hits. I will admit that #3 is my least favorite but it is a part of history. Sure wish we had the 'DJ 45' of #6 on CD! I love the full-length version as mastered by Steve but, I'd like the 'hit' single version as well. #4 is one of the 'Elvis in the service' hits that just seemed like 'a bit' lessor material to me. Steve, The Browns were popular on both the Country and Pop charts and they followed this hit up with 'The Old Lamplighter'. Can you sing that?:laugh: I believe that #'s 1 and 5 were recorded in Nashville and I prefer # 5 in MONO. #9 is timeless and I still hear it often today usually at restaurants on their background music programs. #7 was the first song I heard on Radio (played as an oldie), the day that JFK was assassinated. That is something I will never forget. Every time that I hear this track I am reminded of that fateful day in November 1963.

Bob:)

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Based on #2, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10, I would put this chart up against any Top Ten in the last 40 years (with the exception perhaps of that week in 1964 when the Beatles were the Top 5). Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with #1, 3, 5 and 9. Gonna have to get myself educated!

Jim W.

15. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Well, somebody had to be...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I am familiar with all but #1 & #3. I never even heard of those two until this thread.

I was -3 at the time.

That's all for me this week.

17. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Good chart ... Dave ... thanks. :)

The reason that it sounds like a kid's song is that it is a kid's song ... it is from the '49 Disney movie So Dear to My Heart ... sung by Burl Ives ... nominated for an Academy Award (Gene Autry & The Cass Country Boys sang it on Oscar night) ... 4 different versions of the song made the top 20 in '49 (Sammy Kaye - #4, Dinah Shore - #9, Burl Ives with Captain Stubby & The Buccaneers - #16 and Jack Smith & The Clark Sisters - #17).

... and BTW ... I like Sammy Turner's version ... even more than Tommy Roe's "Dizzy". :D

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

Like Grant, I was -3 years old. I also know all of these off the top of my head except for #1, 3, and 5 (though I expect I'd recognize 5 at least).

My favorite on the list would have to be the Drifters tune, followed closely by "What'd I Say." "Sleep Walk" is positively sublime, as is the Dinah Washington, though I much prefer her jazz and blues recordings. I believe "What a Difference" was her breakout pop vocal for Mercury.

19. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Mike,

Ya want REALLY scary.............. listen to Ed sing it! :D

-Jeffrey

20. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

... there are lyrics ...

"Sleep walk
    Instead of dreaming
    I sleep walk
    'Cause I lost you
    And now what am I to do
    What to do
    Can't believe that we're through
    I don't care how much you tell me

Sleep talk
    'Cause I miss you
    I sleep talk
    While the memory of you
    Lingers like a song
    Darling, I was so wrong
    But I'll be right someday

The night
    Fills my lonely place
    I see your face
    Spinning through my brain
    I know
    I miss you so
    I still love you
    And it drives me insane

Sleep walk
    Every night
    I just sleep walk
    And when you
    Walk inside the door
    I will sleep walk no more

Sleep walk
    Every night
    I just sleep walk
    And when you
    Walk inside the door
    I will sleep walk no more"

... and there is a 45 (Betsey Brye on Can-Am 106 from '59) ... that can be found on a Canadian CD of questionable heritage.

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Cool Cat, interesting!

mud-

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'm surprised too that there was no discussion of the blackout. I was thinking of starting a thread along the lines of "What were you listening to when the lights went out?" (For me, it was My Generation Deluxe Edition). Was it a Woodstock anniversary last week?

Anyway 6 great songs in this chart (although I haven't heard some of the others) and the Elvis Presley song is my least favourite among those six! Sleep Walk is a great instrumental. I really like the way it was used in the Buddy Holly movie. Sea of Love was immortalized for me on the Guess Who "Rockin'" album, What'd I Say, well what more can you say, it's Ray Charles at pretty well his peak, There Goes My Baby has been described as the first soul song as opposed to R&B, due at least in part to its "sophisticated" string arrangement and Fats just rocks and rolls steadily with that New Orleans beat.

23. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I do a pretty mean Screamin' Jay Hawkins-meets-Arthur Brown bit that'll bring down the house....perhaps literally.....:eek:

ED:cool:

24. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh: :D :laugh:

-Jeffrey

25. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I remember my older brother playing the hell out of "What I'd Say". It's still a great song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.