This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Jun 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

There's something about late spring, early summer that always makes me nostalgic.
    School's out, girls are driving around with the top down and the sound of music is in the air. Ahh... Summer, it turns me upside down.

This week's chart is from June 15, 1963

Code:

1. Sukiyaki.......................[B]Kyu Sakamoto[/B]
      2. It's My Party..................[B]Leslie Gore[/B]
      3. You Can't Sit Down.............[B]The Dovells[/B]
      4. Da Doo Ron Ron.................[B]The Crystals[/B]
      5. I Love You Because.............[B]Al Monroe[/B]
      6. Blue On Blue...................[B]Bobby Vinton[/B]
      7. Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer
         ...............................[B]Nat "King" Cole[/B]
      8. Still..........................[B]Bill Anderson[/B]
      9. Hello Stranger.................[B]Barbara Lewis[/B]
     10. 18 Yellow Roses................[B]Bobby Darin[/B]

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wasn't that such a great time? And just think the Beatles Invasion was just around the corner!

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It is incredible to look at that chart and then look at a chart 5 years later. The British Invasion (and then the Psychedelic Era) are "just around the corner", as Michael so rightly noted. I surely remember, as that was my teens (born in 1950).

What a paradigm shift was about to occur. There's no inkling of it in that '63 chart - pretty soppy, boy-meets-girl stuff that's about to get shafted.

We all remember The Stones of course, but in 1964 Eric Burdon and The Animals hit with "House or the Rising Sun", followed a year later by the all-time classic "We Gotta Get Out of This Place". We just loved to sing that song at the top of our lungs as we rolled out of school for the summer holidays. Another great Animals song - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood". It really said it all. No wonder our parents were staggered and hated The Animals.

Regards,
    Metralla

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

An absolutely wonderful incredible time in my life! I'm getting teary eyed. Excuse me.
    LOL.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Boy, looking at this chart tells me that top forty radio was ripe for the pickins' Soppy is the right word for this stuff.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Soppy? Nah, ya had to be there. As a little kid, I LOVED some of those loopy songs. Heck the #1 song was sung in Japanese for God's sake. Truly trippy!!

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dave & Friends,

I was 12 at the time.

Sukiyaki was recently superbly mixed to Stereo for the first time. It's My Party was produced and arranged by Quincy Jones. You Can't Sit Down, a very fun, upbeat record is not available on CD because it is part of the Cameo-Parkway catalog (Allan Klein). Da Doo Ron Ron is a true classic. Still was a Country cross-over hit. Hello Stranger by Barabara Lewis is a song that still sounds fresh today. I will forever associate Those Lazy, Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer with backyard cook outs and family get togethers. The rest...well, they show that America was ready for something new!

Bob :)

8. Steve Hoffman

Where can I hear Sukiyaki in stereo?

By the way, the singer died in a tragic manner when that crippled airplane crashed in Mt. Fuji some years ago. A pity.

9. Bob Lovely

Steve,

It is on an Eric Records comp #11513, released in 2001, so it should be readily available. Yes, in the liner notes on that CD, his untimely death in a plane crash is explained.

10. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Bob.

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well - I was all of 7 years old when this was the current chart - but The Dovells song was my first musical "rush" (at 7, I guess it was my first rush of any kind). It was the FIRST one - ya know what I mean???

Ya can't sit down... Ya can't sit down
    Ya gotta move, move, move around and round....

Here comes the sax.... aahhhhhhhhh... still does it for me.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was just a kid back then, and I agree some of these songs are fun. I do remember da doo ron ron and it's my party. I don't remember the Japanese song. I am sorry but I still think these songs are soppy.

However, as a father I wish the kids were still listening to more good old soppy music. Some of the music today is too serious, dark or has too much sexual content.

13. Steve Hoffman

My Dad bought me that record ("You Can't Sit Down"). I wore that sucker out!

The part where Len Barry sings: "Ya gotta flip flop, zip zop, clip clop, etc. (or whatever he sings) used to just lay me out!

Loved that song. That orange and yellow Parkway label, right?

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I love that record!!! I looked around for the longest time for a copy and finally found a mint original with a picture sleeve!!! Burned a copy of it to CD-R so I don't wear it out. I can't believe how much low end is on that record. That song sounds like one big party. I love the part toward the end of the song where you can actually hear somebody bump into one of the vocal mics!!!

15. Steve Hoffman

16. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I'm glad that this chart has brought back some memories. I too look at this list and think, "what a change is right around the corner". Next week's chart will be from as close to one year and one week from this one as I can get. That way we'll get a real taste of the Britich Invasion. Some early sixties artists manage to hold on but others are never to be heard from again. See you next week.

17. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I have VERY good sounding needle drop on CD, quite astonishing really. It has the power of that 45!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.