This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Jun 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Grant,

Why are you bringing in the Gay thing? I have many friends who are. It started in the Gay community, way before you knew about it! It was going on for a while before it was picked up by the rest of the country. It start in NYC way far from AZ. How do you know my musical knowledge? You should not assume anything.
    If I choose not to speak of a certain genre, it doesn't mean I know nothing about it. I do know about it and own/enjoy much of it! You are a character! LOL! I enjoy our time together here. It's fun! :D

Michael

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

It was never popular with a lot of people. The soulsters didn't like it, the rockers didn't like it, the jazz people didn't like it...I look at it this way, it's just music. It's music you can dance to like many others. I cannot dance to save my life, but I still like to listen to it.
    Again, i'm black and I cannot dance. Another stereotype I have had to put up with...
    Soooo, if it hadn't been for the label, and the lifestyle associated with many of it's audience, you would like some of it? So, is it fair to say that it isn't disco music you don't like, but the image? You can dance to soul music but it doesn't make it disco. You can dance to Elvis Presley's "Jailhouse Rock" but it ain't disco...
    Yes, it is VERY unfortunate. How people lump in artists like Earth, Wind & Fire, Cameo, Parliament, Johnnie Taylor, and others as disco is unbelievable! They are clearly people who never really listened to soul and disco and learned to tell the differences.

I like some music of almost every type, except opera. There are types I am so unfamiliar with that I cannot comment on them. I just hate it when a forum member (not you, Gary) who doesn't know a lot about a genre, and then claims to absolutly know his facts!

3. Grant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Just like Magic Alex on the "Pledge of Alligence" thread, I did not single out a certain group or thing. They were in context of a point I was trying to get across. And, if you would have read the whole post before reacting, you would have seen that I wrote that I "can't say for sure". The reason I stated that is because I was not talking about the discotech, or the style, I was referring to the music only! That music has R&B roots. I think Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, tow Muslims, BTW, would take great offense to your suggesting that they are gay.Again, Michael, if you knew the history of the music, you would not have made the statement that it started with "THe Hustle". Go back and listen to some O'Jays, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, First Choice, Gorgio Moroder, Barry White, and Spinners, and tell me that stuff isn't disco! Could it be that you don't want it to be disco because you like it?

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

And who cares if they are? This isn't what this thread is about. That period was when I was discovering music, so I remember disco real well. For me, as for others, I do not care for dance music, so most of it did not appeal to me(although I remembering marveling at the sound of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" because synthesizer music was still relatively new at the time; I also remember hearing "Miss You" and thinking the Stones had sold out....).

5. Michael

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

There you go again...I really think you have a hard time grasping? Where did I mention that the above people you mentioned were gay? Geez, Grant you twist things around to fit your needs."GAY COMMUNITY" I don't see any names in those words? "STARTED IN" none there either. Oh yea, My wife said she'll give you dance lessons. LOL!:)

6. Grant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

You have a hard time grasping things! I see you totally sidestepped my point that "The Hustle" was not the record that started it all.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

First disco record? I don't know, but the first record I can remember that would qualify as disco was "Rock The Boat" in 1974.......

8. Michael

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

LOL:D Hmmm, "Side Step". Isn't that a move in the "Hustle"? It started With the "Hustle" while your brain was baking in the Arizona sun...You must have missed it...as it was playing in the dance clubs in NYC. No wait, Grant wasn't there so It could not have happened. I guess your passing on the dance lessons?:D XXXOOO It's been real...

9. Grant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

I heard the same music you did in the summer of 1975. I am also older than you are.:rolleyes: You crack me up!:D

BTW, many people have tried to teach me how to dance. None have succeeded! My father can't dance either! It's probably hereditary. But, I have rhythm! I'm a drummer!;)

10. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

Gee, the dutch top 10 of that week was completely "non american"so i've listed also some more known songs in the top 40.

1 rubettes sugar baby love 3 1
    2 andre van duin de tamme boerenzoon 3 2
    3 ivan heylen de wilde boerndochtere 7 1
    4 george baker selection (fly away) little paraguayo 7 2
    5 hot chocolate emma 6 3
    6 sparks this town ain't big enough for the ... 5 5
    7 earth & fire love of life 2 7
    8 american gypsy angel eyes 5 8
    9 jackpot one and one is two 4 9
    10 us music in the air 2 10

Interesting is that the song on position 2 is more or less the "weird Al Jankovics" version of the song on postition 3

Some more internationally known songs....

14 three degrees year of decision 5 7
    16 stylistics you make me feel brand new 2 16
    20 o'jays for the love of money 4 20
    21 steely dan rikki don't lose that number 2 21
    23 stevie wonder don't you worry 'bout a thing 3 22
    25 wings band on the run 1 25
    27 love unlimited orchestra rhapsody in white 1 27
    31 abba waterloo 12 2
    38 three dog night the show must go on 8 7
    39 fortunes you've got your troubles 31 3

The Hues Corporation (my favourite, I still sing out loud and get chicken skin when it's on the radio) had not entered the charts at that time, and George McCrea would be the best selling single in the netherlands in 1974. Anyone want to know where George is hanging out at the moment....
    He lives about 5 miles from my home in Munstergeleen, in the Netherlands.

11. Michael

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

LOL! How do you know my age? You are not older than me. This I know for sure. Your 40 right? How old do you think I am? Hey, maybe someday we can jam! :D

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Grant said: "Soooo, if it hadn't been for the label, and the lifestyle associated with many of it's audience, you would like some of it? "

Oh but I secretly *did* like some of it! I liked most of what I heard of Donna Summer, for instance. And what I saw of her.... ;) I liked just about all the disco type songs before the disco label was attached to this new dance type music.

Lifestyle associated with many of it's audience? You mean dancing fools, filling up the clubs at night, buying drugs in the washroom, being blasted by crappy music and blinded by mirror balls? Yes. Personal lifestyle? No.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is just about my favorite band. You can dance to most of Skynyrd's original line up's music. It's not disco either. I love Skynyrd!

Perhaps another reason why I hated disco: A lot of bands 'sold out' and went with the disco craze. Bee Gees, Rare Earth and the Rolling Stones come immediately to mind. The BG's and RS were successful. Did not work for Rare Earth.

13. Grant

Hmmm, the Bee Gees have steadfastly insisted they did not do disco. They say it is blue-eyed soul, or R&B. It's just a coincidince that their music was dancable and very popular in the discos. My opinion? Their music was always closer to R&B, not Europe.

I maintain that most of the really objectionable disco was European-influenced, not R&B influenced.

For some reason, I don't really consider Silver Convention's "Fly Robin Fly" or "Get Up And Boogie (That's Right!)" disco. The first one is a bit too slow, and the latter has too much of a funk groove.

14. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

As I have always understood it, the national disco movement was officially launched into the mainstream with "The Hustle" - the first disco record to sell millions all over the world.

Many consider the very first disco record to be either the Spinner's "I'll Be Around" or the O'Jay's "Love Train." - which I believe charted higher.

In 1974, the very first disco chart was started - with Gloria Gaynor's "Never Can Say Goodbye" as its first number one song. Incidentally, disco was rabidly popular in NYC during that time.

Josh

15. Grant

Some say that it's "Rock The Boat" by the Hues Corporation. What It incorporated was the latin hustle. "Rock The Boat was on the charts one full year before "The Hustle", is what i've always heard and read. The same summer of 1974, Barry White's "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" was at the top of the pop charts. Later, that year, it was " Gloria Gaynor's cover of "Never Can Say Goodbye" and Carole Douglas' "Doctor's Orders".

But, if you really go back to the early 70s and LISTEN, you will clearly see that the Spinners, the O'Jays, and all the others i've mentioned, were part of the disco movement.

I don't pay attention to what some stuffy, pompous, rock critic says! They usually can't get their facts strait and are full of the brown, smelly stuff.

16. Michael

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Grant,
    When are you going to answer my question?
    and..."It's The "Hustle" :p :p Did'nt we have fun on that one?

17. Grant

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

First, I recalled a "top 10" thread where you mentioned that you were born around the late 60s or early 70s.

If you do a poll, you will get several answers of what the first disco record was. Those who may not be that familiar with the genre may cite very memorable hits, Like "The Hustle". Those who don't want to recognize many of their favorites as being disco will pick the first disco song they don't like. Knowing that the majority of this crowd (by MY estimation) leans more towards classic album rock, the cards may be stacked in YOUR favor, which will be inaccurate. It would be the same as asking the forum what the first rap hit record was. I think only Bob Lovely or Jeff H. could come close to the correct answer.

18. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

I would say that only the O'Jay's "Love Train" has the distinction of being the highest charting single to have have a pure steady disco beat. (Just looked it up - it was released February 9, 1973.)

However, it was just another song, while "The Hustle" was a prominent movement.

What are we all doing up this early? :)

Josh

19. Michael

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This Week's Top 10 Chart

Hey Grant,
    LOL! You are a pisser! Just Love Ya! Let's just leave it at that! You admitting semi defeat! Just kidding, No I'm not! I guess in the long run were both kind of right...I'm right just a bit more. Whew!

20. Grant

First, "Love Train" is NOT the ONLY highest charting disco record to have a steady beat. It came out in the summer of 1972 as the last track on the album you see shown as my avitar. It was released as a single on the date you cite. Don't forget the "disco" records that preceeded it, like "Son Of My Father" by Georgio Moroder and Chicory, and Donnie Elbert's cover of "Where Did Our Love Go", whic served as the basis of Soft Cell"s version.

The highest charting disco record EVER is "Le Freak" by Chic in 1978. It was also Atlantic record's highest selling single in the history of the company! Oh, and BTW, "Le Freak" may be considered "disco" by most, but the track isn't even close! It's straight up R&B! The lyrics were about a disco, Studio 54, or more exactly, about Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards not being able to get in one night.

The "Hustle" was THE track of a prominent dance step, but it was "Rock The Boat" one year earlier that was the hit that popularized it first. Again, I don't take my information from rock music "experts".

21. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

The O'Jay's album in which the single was from - "Back Stabbers" - was released in August 1972. The single "Love Train" itself was released in February 1973.

Oh, for greater clarity my sentence should read, "I would say that only the O'Jay's "Love Train" has the distinction of being the *first* high charting single to have a pure steady disco beat." Sorry, it is early. :)

Josh

22. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

Cool. Your avitar really is of the O'Jay's "Back Stabbers." Sorry, my monitor was set too small to at first truly see the picture, until I turned down the resolution.

Josh

23. Grant

Which I already basically stated once...

24. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

Sorry. I wrote out the order of progression to be more concise for the benefit of anyone else reading it.

25. Grant

Since your post got there before mine it looks like mine is a bit antagonistic. The posts should be switched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.