This Week's Top 10 Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm insanely busy at work these days (that'll teach me to take vacation!), so I'm not really able to spend much time here. Still, I wanted to get my weekly post up.

I hope those of you hit by the storm in the south dry out this weekend.

This week's chart is from September 30, 1972

Code:

1. Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me.........[B]Mac Davis[/B]
     2. Black & White.......................[B]Three Dog Night[/B]
     3. Saturday In The Park................[B]Chicago[/B]
     4. Back Stabbers.......................[B]O'Jays[/B]
     5. Ben.................................[B]Michael Jackson[/B]
     6. Everybody Plays The Fool............[B]The Main Ingredient[/B] 	
     7. Go All The Way......................[B]Raspberries[/B]
     8. Use Me..............................[B]Bill Withers[/B]
     9. Burning Love........................[B]Elvis Presley[/B]
    10. Popcorn.............................[B]Hot Butter[/B]

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Once again the UK charts seem to differ quite significantly

David Bowie..............John I'm Only Dancing
    Lieutenant Pigeon........Mouldy Old Dough
    10CC.....................Donna
    Python Lee Jackson.......In A Broken Dream
    Gary Glitter.............I Didn't Know I Loved You (Til I Saw You Rock 'N' Roll) 
    Donny Osmond.............Too Young
    Peter Skellern...........You're A Lady
    Elvis Presley............Burning Love    
    Carpenters...............I Won't Last A Day Without You / Goodbye To Love
    Family...................Burlesque

All the best - Andrew

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Not bad, although nothing revelatory here.

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dave & Friends,

This chart brings back pleasant memories of an easier time in my life. I was 21 and in college when the hits on this chart were popular. Some good straight forward Pop and Soul influenced tracks here. I rememder my old Gray label Columbia 45 of Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me. By the time Three Dog Night released Black & White they were becoming more of a Pop singles act. Saturday In The Park was huge Top 40 hit for Chicago. Back Stabbers was an instant, catchy hit. Ben was more pre-teen oriented as was Go All The Way. Use Me definitely had a more Adult theme and was a great sounding track as well. Burning Love was, for many of us, Elvis' last great record. Five years later he was gone. Popcorn was simply a fun track. I recall Everybody Plays the Fool was a big juke box hit in all the bars when I was in college, it was everywhere.

Bob:)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I always thought Three Dog Night WAS a singles act. At least, that's what the band always concentrated on, singles.

Except for the irritating "Popcorn". I like all the songs on the list. At the time, I didn't like "Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me", but it has grown on me over the years.

At the time, the two songs that I listened to a lot was "Go All The Way" and "Backstabbers". I didn't really get into "Ben" and "Everybody Plays The Fool" until the Christmas season of that year. Those two songs had long chart runs.

It was a fun time for me. School had recently started, I was in the fifth grade, had a cool set of friends, and was crazy about a girl; named Darla.

6. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Interesting to hear your rememberances of that era. Three Dog Night had more of an album, harder edge orientation during early the part of their career, especially in 68' and 69' when tracks from their albums were widely-played on FM album rock stations. By 71', 72' they had lost a somewhat harder edge. I saw them in concert twice: once in 70' in Chicago and once at my college in Illinois, in 72'. There played and sounded great with outstanding live vocals.

Do you know what ever happened to Darla?

Bob

7. Grant

No, but I was just browsing my old class pictures and she is still the most interesting one. She looked way older than the rest of us, like she should have been in high school.

If you read up on TDN's bio, you will see that they always had the top ten in mind.

8. Bob Lovely

Grant,

Yes, well aware of that and their history. It is interesting to note their transition from 68' to 75'. I pulled out that Bill Inglot mastered anthology, just the other evening--great memories for me. I was 17 and in high school for their first hit and 23, married and working in my first job out of college when Sure As I'm Sittin' Here was popular. Not too long ago, I saw a long interview on TV with Chuck Negron were he shared his the difficult recovery from serious drug addiction.

Bob

9. Grant

Notice how on their "Hard Labor" LP, the version of "Sure As I'm Sitting Here" has a toilet flushing during the instrumental break, where this version is no where to fe found on CD?

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I do not even remember that! I have the LP, packed away but with no TT.....maybe a Christmas present to myself this year.

Bob

11. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Ugh, what an awful top 10. Fortunately I was too excited about starting life at the University to be paying attention.

12. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Share with us what music DID excite you in 72'?

Regards,

Bob

13. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

it's funny, the sixties lists are more vivid to me..1972 I think I was driving around in a volkswagon bug with a 8-track stereo listening to Lou Reed Transformer, David Bowie Ziggy Stardust, the jeff beck album with the orange on it, ignoring the radio.
    Love the Raspberries, tho!

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1. Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me.........Mac Davis
    2. Black & White.......................Three Dog Night
    3. Saturday In The Park................Chicago
    4. Back Stabbers.......................O'Jays
    5. Ben.................................Michael Jackson
    6. Everybody Plays The Fool............The Main Ingredient
    7. Go All The Way......................Raspberries
    8. Use Me..............................Bill Withers
    9. Burning Love........................Elvis Presley
    10. Popcorn.............................Hot Butter

Great chart list. I couldn't stand song #1, and "Black & White" was a carbon copy of a Reggae song, swiped, down to the exact arrangement by those whacky white boys Three Dog Night, so I always pushed the button when that one came on (same as I did when I heard Clapton's "I Shot The Sheriff").

But (other than "Ben"), I liked all the songs, even though I was fully an FM radio guy by then. I even liked "Popcorn", it had nice snare drum whacks in it.

I can remember my buddy and I hitchhiking to Tower Sunset and buying #4, #7, #8, #9 and #10 right there on the spot, and playing the heck out of them for the next week or so. I loved the synth sound on "Use Me".

15. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Go All the Way - think there's any hope of a nonhypercompressed mix of that - man, that thing was smooshed to explode outta an AM radio!

16. The UK chart better suits my musical tastes from those days which included early 10CC, Family, the Python Lee Jackson song with Rod Stewart on vocals and Bowie. John I'm Only Dancing is still one of Bowie's best singles IMHO but was never released here at the time. I had to buy it on import. :rolleyes:

Quote from the Sound and Vision box set booklet; "On September 1st (1972) Bowie released a new single from the Ziggy sessions called 'John I'm Only Dancing.' It went to number one in England, but was adjudged too lyrically alarming by RCA in America; the company held back until 1976, when the song turned up on the ChangesOneBowie compilation album."

Attached Files:

17. Grant

I played the hell out of #6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.