Thorens TD 125.. check it out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I snapped this a couple days back - and I just had to post it somewhere
    [​IMG]

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You're using an old counterweight for a clamping/damping device?

3. Damián

Uh.. :rolleyes: yes. At some point I thought I heard a difference, now I'm not sure. It might be damping the LP just a little bit.

I also need to give the new armboard a couple coats of semi-matte black finish (so it looks like what was there before) and drill a proper-size hole for the arm stand.

Edit: and replace the tatty cabinet at some point, and fit a dustcover, and..

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Looks very nice! :)

Some people have a record clamp - the counter weight could act like a clamp in a pinch!

5. Damián

Exactly. What use is it hanging in the back of the arm anyway?

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I love that table, Damian! One of the legendary tables along with the 124 and the Garrard 301 and 401. Your original is a bit better than the later Mk II. The build quality of the Mk II isn't as good.

Is that the original mat under Mr Hendrix and company? A Herbie's Way Excellent mat might be a nice step up. Lotsa raves for that mat.

BTW, your avatar is freaking me out. ;)

7. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

:laugh: :laugh:

8. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

I have the same table!!

With what appears to be the same arm-Grace 707. :righton:

Hope it's treating you right. ;)

paul

9. Damián

Hah! Hope I'M treating IT right. ;)

So how do you like it? What cartridge are you using on it? Any tweaks you could recommend?

Mine is still very much 'as found' - needs work, mostly cosmetical. Fortunately the innards esem to be in good shape, .. knocking on wood right now :sigh:.

I can't really judge the sound right now, since my system is boxed up (painting the room), so I hooked it up to my bedroom stereo just to be able to spin LPs.

10. Danny

Danny Senior Member

That looks nice. I have a few quick questions that I hope you don't mind answering. Where did you buy this from? Was it a Garage Sale or Estate Sale? Just curious.

Also, if it sounds good, will this be part of your main system or do you have a secondary system you are planning to use it in?

11. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

There's a far bit of info on the Thorens 125 on the web - Google is your friend!

TryThe Analog Department's 125 page or Hi-Fi World's look at the 125.

12. Damián

Sure, I don't mind. I love talking this stuff :). I found the TD125 on a local auctions site, some time after my 'comeback' turntable started giving in (it was a Sansui and it actually fared quite well). I paid the equivalent of $120 for it (very roughly).

Turntable had probably spent the last 20 years or a couple less sitting in a closet or something- fortunately dry. I used it for some 4 months or a couple more with the stock TP-14 tonearm, with the Shure M55E cart on the picture (came with the 'table - needless to say the stylus is new, and it actually sounds very good to these ears).

Some time after a very kind fellow over at the Asylum sent me the Grace 707 arm (I'll be sending him some LPs as soon as I'm done CDRing them but :shh:.. he doesn't know).

I spent some time doing the hack mounting job you seen in the picture, and that's basically it- these last days I've just been spinning, no tweaking.

The guy I bought it from was this fellow in his mid-50s in a rather cluttered apartment- he told me he used to have a rather large jazz collection (he also said he used to play trumpet and had a box full of tape reels he wanted to CDR), but that a box or boxes full of LPs had 'vanished' during a move :shake:.

He was selling off the Thorens 'cause he didn't think he'd have a chance to re-build such a collection too soon.

About the table, he sounded like he knew he had something good, but he was not a crazed audiophile by any means, or I'd have never gotten it for that price (I've seen them going for about $400 lately, although the $400 one had an SME arm on it).

That's about it, I guess. If there's anything else, post back and I'll try to answer.

This is my main turntable. I still have the Sansui stashed away, but it has a tired motor and speed is a bit on the saggy side. I might be able to fix it though, then I could use it for a bedroom system- I'm missing a preamp though.

Off to work! :rolleyes:

13. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

I like mine quite a bit.
    I am using a Shure V15xMrV on mine which seems to work well.

I don't have any good tweaks for you but will second the analog dept. as a good source for Thorens info.

Enjoy!! :righton:
    paul

14. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Brings back memories. I used to have a 125 back in the '70s. It had a stock Thorens arm and I think I had a Stanton 681EEE on it at the time.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.