Thorens TD 240 2 likely to be any good solely for playing 78 rpm records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oxenholme, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

If so, what cartridge - preferably MM - would go well?

Open to suggestions for other turntables, but solely for 78 rpm.

I already have a fully upgraded Linn Sondek for playing LPs, EPs, and singles.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

What's your budget? If you are going to be playing pre-war 78s then you may want variable pitch, as you are in the UK I'd say keep your eyes open for a Goldring GL-75, they can still be found cheaply if you are lucky and can play any speed you need plus they respond really well to a solid plinth and better arms. There are 78 styli available for many popular carts such as Ortofons from around £50, (less for a generic version), or if you want to get really serious there's a Miyajima 78 cart.

Here's a previous thread: Best 78 rpm cartridge?

3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I agree. So fine even expert transfer engineers and archivists used them, and variable speed friendly. The stock arm in good order is suitable for 78 RPM discs and vintage disc playback needs.

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

You will definitely need variable pitch. I believe the new Technics turntables will play at 78 RPM and thankfully they kept the sliders. I would recommend that, plus a selection of styli from the Expert Stylus Company. I normally use the 2.5 ET and find the 2.3 and 2.8 handy to have around. I rarely use the conical ones. These are mounted on Shure M44-7 cartridges. The Vadlyd MD12 MK4 is out now and should cover all your equalisation needs.

McLover likes this.
  6. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

The nature of the exercise has changed. I had forgotten that I have a spare Linn Ekos tonearm. So I am looking for a turntable compatible with it.

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What is your budget? Which labels do you have in your collection? Are they predominantly European or American? How many do you have? Do you have many acoustic discs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.