Thorens TD-320 opinions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

Anybody have experience with a Thorens TD-320 turntable? Any opinions to share? I've got a line on one and I'm kind of smitten with it. Seems like kind of an underdog. Nice feature set, and not going for the crazy prices of the 124, 125, etc.

No info about it on this forum, and very little on the interwebs in general.

Thanks.

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I have the TD-145 with a Denon DL-160 HOMC, love it. Would a ... (whatever) sound better? maybe. But these are 'basic' excellent platforms in many folks' opinions, I haven't read where any of them sound like crap compared to new/modern lower cost machines. I'd say go for it if it's a 'reasonable' price and you like it.

Maybe some day I'll get a Music Hall MMF-5.1SE or something ... but for now just enjoying the music (and like the end of side auto-lift!). I don't know that I'd want to give that up, but there aren't many TTs that have this any more. I don't know if the -320 has it, but if so it's pretty cool. There's an inexpensive aftermarket device that apparently works well too that one can add to about any manual TT.

3. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

If the price is right I think you will like it. Other than their rebadged Dual products, their own designs are well received at their price points.

4. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

I bought a TD320 brand new back in 1990. I really liked mine, very well built, no issues at all. I also had a TD160 & a 124...I'd pick it up if the price is right!

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have owned a TD320 MkIII since 1996. I bought it new probably near the end of its production(?). It is heavy duty and built like a tank-old school Thorens. Has a simple no frills highly adjustable stock tonearm and seems to take a variety of cartridges. It is plain looking but very functional and performs reliably and sounds just fine to me-I did not think it was really substantially out-classed by my VPI Aries. I would go for it if you want a suspended chassis type table with minimum tweaking requirements. Basically plug and play after cartridge install

6. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Does your turntable have the TP90 arm? Can you recommend a cartridge?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like the TD 320 family of Thorens a great lot. It's as good as relatively unfussy 3 point suspended belt drive ever gets. Excellent all the way! Reliable and consistent.

8. Lebowski

It does have it, and that's one of the reasons I like it. I'm replacing a Technics with an auto return function that has spoiled me.

Rick58 likes this.
  9. Lebowski

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to buy it. $475 with an AT15SA.

Would love to hear more feedback from those who have owned one or had firsthand experience with one.

10. Lebowski

Haha, I respectfully disagree; I think it is quite attractive. The rosewood veneer and matte black tonearm make for an elegant combination.

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have one but only used it for about a week before the Denon 160 cart didn't work anymore. It sounded very nice, better than the Technics 1200 which I don't have anymore. Mine came with the TP90 tonearm which is supposed to be one of Thorens' better arms but the TP95 headshell go for quite a bit of money and isn't easy to find. I need to find a suitable cartridge for it and get it running again.

12. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

You can't go wrong with a vintage Thorens, if it's been taken care of and the price is right. All you'll maybe need is a new belt and off you go.

13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I had one (MkII) in the 90's and was very happy with it. I remember borrowing a friends Micro Seiki mounted with a RB300. Initially I liked the tightness of the MS but when I got the Thorens back I clearly recall preferring it's softer more lucid sound.

14. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Bummer! if it had the Denon DL-160 (IIUC), that's what I have and it's very well regarded sonically. I wonder if Denon can repair them? may be worth an email/call to the US Denon rep ... assuming there is one that knows what the cartridge is!

It's discontinued, but ... I thought the DL-110 (HOMC like the -160) was its "little brother" but that now costs $299! dang! Maybe cart prices have gone way up recently (esp. Denon)?

I bet an Ortofon 2M Blue ($236) would be an excellent cart for this TT/arm. I haven't checked resonance etc. tho ... may be less expensive since you're on that side of the pond. Ortofons are made in Germany, correct? Whoops, I see they're made right down the block from you! Walk down and get one of those babies! :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The AT15Sa looks like a very nice cart too ('nude' Shibata stylus). Hopefully it's all set up nicely etc. and the cart/stylus are in good shape. IIRC this is the same stylus type that's used in the $700 Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, I saw a comment about setup of these may be a little more finicky than a more common elliptical stylus (for absolute best performance, of course - I imagine if things are 'close' it'll still sound great).

from http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ll-edition-turntables-tonearms-cartridges-etc :
    Ortofon 2M Black: $719 ★
    Partnered with the budget-priced Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3 phono preamp, the "ridiculously good" Ortofon 2M Black produced a bright, open sound with "surprising heft and slam." Because its Shibata stylus is sensitive to rake angle, the 2M Black should be used only with tonearms that permit adjustment of VTA and SRA, Mikey advised. (Vol.32 No.12)

I don't know that the Thorens arms are set up to precisely dial in those things (I hardly know what they are ...) and I've never tried to really look at them ... but assuming things are pretty 'normal' in the geometry it'll probably be just fine.

16. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

I bought a Thorens TD 320 six months ago and love it. Like the OP I could not find much info on this site or others before I decided to pull the trigger.

Put a Denon DL 110 on it. Match made in heaven. Listening to it right now.

Too bad prices shot up on the DL 110. I got mine for $139. Great cart and a steal at the old price level.

Rick58 likes this.
  17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yes it has stock arm. I have used several different cartridges but I think a good partner might be one of the Nagioka cartridges as per your preference. They are easy to mount and set up, track well and have good sound with the Thorens arm. A good variety of prices and stated sound objectives with them as well. Good luck.

ClausH likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Can I ask what you paid for yours, where you got it, and its condition? Had any particular problems?

Anything in particular that made you choose this model?

Thanks.

19. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

My local hi-fi shop in Chicago has a nice exchange /upgrade program for used equipment. If you buy a used piece of equipment from them you can exchange for another piece and they will give the full price you paid towards your next purchase.

I went through several turntables in a years time slowly upgrading each time. During this process of swapping tables I got a lower end Thorens TD 115 with a Grado cart and loved it. Unfortunately it broke down and was beyond repair. Exchanged for a Technics SL-1300. Nice table, real workhorse. But near 6 months was ready to try something different.

When I went to trade in the Technics I saw the TD 320. I was asking the guys at the store about it and they weren't very familiar with that particular Thorens model. They suggested using my trade in for a new Project or Music Hall TT. As we were talking the repair tech walked up and was listening to our conversation. He said go with the Thorens. He has been working on TTs over 30 years and said there is some kind of magic in those Thorens. I took his advice and couldn't be happier. I let my six month exchange period lapse and will be sticking with this one a while.

I paid $419 without a cart. Two issues with the table. Right channel goes out every once in a while and have to jiggle the cable and then it's fine. Store will fix for free, just haven't got around to it. Hasn't happened in a long time. Other issue is auto stop feature doesn't work but doesn't really bother me. That way I can still listen to Sgt. Pepper locked groove at end of side 2.

Enjoy your Thorens. I think you will be very happy with it. How do like it so far? I would be interested in how it sounds with the AT15SA. Please give us some feedback when you get a chance.

Rick58 likes this.
  20. Lebowski

Awesome.

I've only just mailed payment to the seller. Hope to get it in early December. Will post more info/pics after I receive it.

Rick58 and ChadL72 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.