Thorens TD150 MKII Vs modern entry level TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ishmaelk, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

Can anyone tell me what modern entry level TT I'd have to buy that could sound more or less like a Thorens TD150 MKII?
    I mean a Thorens in good working order, with original cartridge and tonearm, etc. What modern TT could sound like that Thorens? Again, without any improvements, just as it is new from the shop.

Thanks.

2. johnvitw

johnvitw Active Member

Dear ishmaelk,

There will be little, if any, modern entry level TT that will sound more or less like a Thorens TD150MKII. A turntable is a mechanical device and quality engineering does not come cheap.

The standard of Swiss engineering this turntable epitomizes from the late 1960s to early 1970s is extremely high, and modern standards at entry level are totally different.

Quality engineering also lasts, and though the Thorens may be 40 years old, a well looked after model is an extremely good buy today. You will be better off buying a Thorens TD150MKII in good order, and it will last you many years to come.

I use one and have no need to buy another turntable (I am an ex Linn LP12 owner).

All the best.

Johnvitw

3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

George Merrill, who's a turntable legend, serviced my TD-150mkii (he did put on better isolation feet and rca jacks) and said I would have to spend over a grand on a Thorens TD 295 MK IV to even get close to the TD150mkii. I originally had an AT95e on it, which is the same cart the new model uses, but now upgraded to a AT125 and, holy cow, what an awesome setup.

Mezeno, ishmaelk and McLover like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am in agreement, it would take $1000 or more to even approach the old TD 15o in correct working order.

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Depends upon the arm on the TD150. "correct working order" can also be an obstacle.
    -Bill

6. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

The original TP13A tonearm is no slouch. Is it as good as some modern, higher end tonearms? No, of course not. But it does the job well. I originally had the AT125 mounted on a SL-1200mk5 and with the same gear, the Thorens is way more detailed and throws out a wider sound stage. Now the tonearm on the Technics is also much maligned, so perhaps that is not a fair comparison. But I stand by my grand statement: I've heard a lot of Projects, Regas, Music Halls in the $400-1000 range and they do not come close to my Thorens (but again, mine was modded a bit).

Mezeno likes this.
  7. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.