Those LP sized CD box sets from the early days...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Are any of these things considered rare?

You know them, the Layla, Biograph, Springsteen, Bowie (w/CDV), Bee Gees, Carpenters, Who, Yes, and on and on. There were a bunch of these 3-4+ CD sets released.

Any of them serious collectables?

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Was the recalled Dylan Biograph set released in an LP-sized box? I believe it was. Otherwise, I don't think many of them are considered rare. I suppose the serious collector would place a value on them since most of these sets have been reissued in smaller packages, such as CD-sized slipcases.

I remember years ago having to read the boxes carefully to determine which copies were LPs, CDs, and cassettes since the boxes were all the same size. As I recall, the different formats for the Springsteen Live 1975-1985 set were distinguished by the color of the text on the front of the box.

3. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Keith, no. It was in the 6x6 cube package.

mud-:D

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I know that until it was reissued a couple years ago, the Elton John To Be Continued box set was considered quite a collectible.

The recalled Dylan Biograph came about when Columbia reduced the size from oversize packaging. It hadn't been remastered since it first came out, so they remastered it -- and used the wrong versions in some cases.

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Some boxed sets are still made this way...the Pete Townshend Lifehouse Chronicles box, for example.

--MK

6. KeithH

Tim and mud, thanks. I stand corrected. :o I admit not being up on the recalled version of Biograph, and I had just assumed that this version was the first one released, as recalled items are often the first ones.

7. KeithH

It is a shame that the LP-sized boxes aren't being used too much nowadays. With those, you usually got the discs in jewel cases. I don't like the book-style boxes that have the disc trays adhered inside. With those sets, I always put the discs in jewel cases and make my own inserts since the boxes don't fit on my shelves.

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Just FYI, the Townshend set has the discs in thin card sleeves that are prone to falling out of their pockets...so nothing's perfect :)

9. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

There was/is a Chuck Berry 3cd set 'LP' sized box from the mid 80s. Musta been a bazillion produced though, so I doubt they would be worth mega-bucks. It was my first 'cd box-set' purchase. Gee, that's been nearly 20 years now! :eek:

10. tradergoatee

tradergoatee Forum Resident

Sorry but first issue of Biograph WAS in LP shaped box.
    Youre thinking of Bootleg 1-3 perhaps?

11. tradergoatee

tradergoatee Forum Resident

Bear Family Boxes still come in this shape.

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

TG, he was asking about the re-issued Biograph not the 1st issue. Yes, the first issue was 12x12 but the 2nd issue (the screwed up one) was 6x6.

13. JonUrban

Is there a way to identify the recalled Biograph 6x6 set if it is still sealed?

14. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

jon, there's a SLIGHT difference in the coloring.

Look up member bob-rare (Alan) here. In his profile is a link to his EXCELLENT Dylan webpage. Look for Biograph. It's all explained there.

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

16. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

17. JonUrban

Thanks Guys. I think I have one,

I bought it as soon as I heard about the recall, and I stashed it away. Since the timing was so tight, I am pretty sure I have one of the 5000.

18. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Agreed. I really liked those bigger sized boxes as well. I never know what to do with the book-style ones. They don't fit with the other individual CDs, of course, and kinda get lost where I have the bigger boxes stacked.

19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

If a boxset doesn't come with jewel cases I put the cds in slim line jewel cases and file them with my other cds. The thought of opening a boxset (after I find it) and searching for a cd to listen too kinda turns me off. I put the boxes in LP bags and store them.

20. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Recalled Biograph

FYI - I happen to have an extra sealed copy of the recalled "Biograph" - I've posted for trade in the classified section) feel free to e-mail or send a Private Message if interested.

Biograph" - recalled 3CD jewel case edition, Columbia C3K 65298 (USA), Aug 1997:

This edition, which had to be recalled because of the mistakes listed below, was released in the USA only, reportedly in a run of 5,000 copies. The first run of the Oct 1997 corrected edition has the same catalogue number, C3K 65298. Apparently the recalled Biograph can be identified from the corrected reissue without breaking the seal, because the grey on the cover is a true grey, whereas the corrected release has a reddish tinge to the grey. This is not true of the UK release, Columbia 488099 2 (see International Albums (Regular)), which was the corrected version from the outset, and where the grey on the cover is definitely a true grey, so I can't personally confirm this.

Columbia C3K 65298 (USA) - front of slipcase
    The number at the bottom of the round front sticker titled "The Ultimate Bob Dylan Album!" is 65298-S1 (see right). On the corrected edition it's reported to be 65298-S1A, but I have no confirmation of this (the UK release has a completely different sticker).

There are typos on the back of the slipcase, but they are on both editions:
    - Missing spaces in the descriptions of the tracks "Like a Rolling Stone," "Baby I'm In The Mood For You," "Gotta Serve Somebody," and "Knockin on Heaven's Door" - for these tracks the description is "(release information -0/0/00)" rather than "(release information - 0/0/00)".
    - "Ureleased" for "Unreleased" in the sentence "Unreleased material mixed by Thom Panunzio..."
    Thanks to Sean Murdock for this information.

Columbia C3K 65298 (USA) - serial number "65298-S1" - is there a release with serial number "65298-S1A"?

Columbia C3K 65298 (USA) - rear of slipcase
    R-0255 Baby, Let Me Follow You Down (Rev Gary Davies, arr. Eric von Schmidt) - truncated introduction to Bob Dylan version, an error which required correction. The track length on the recalled version is 2:13, whereas it is 2:35 on the corrected version.

R-0256 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (unfaded John Wesley Harding version) - sadly the faded edit was restored in Oct 1997. The track length on the recalled version is 2:46, whereas it is 2:38 on the corrected version.

R-0257 I Don't Believe You (live with the Hawks, Manchester Free Trade Hall, 17 May 1966) - this performance replaced the otherwise unreleased version from Belfast, 6 May 1966 on the original Biograph. The Belfast version was restored in Oct 1997.
    This remains a rarity, as it is the only officially released track from the unreleased 1994 Columbia master bootlegged as Guitars Kissing & The Contemporary Fix. The concert was completely remixed for The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Live 1966 - The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert (information from Rob van Estrik).

Mixed Up Confusion on this edition of Biograph is the original single in a newly discovered stereo version. This replaced the alternate take on the 1978 Australian release Masterpieces (R-0145, see 1978) and the speed-corrected version of it on the 1985 Biograph (R-0280, see 1985). The original single has a harmonica solo immediately after Bob's spoken introduction "I've got mixed up confusion, and it's a-killin' me!", the alternate take doesn't. This change was then retained in the "corrected" reissue so this is not now a rarity!

:cool:

21. JonUrban

22. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

rare or not, I can't imagine the book and liner notes in the slimmed down versions of Biograph (or the Springsteen Live set for that matter). the LP-sized versions are terrific.

23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The only one of those that I get requests for is "20 Years Of Jethro Tull".

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The ELO Afterglow box set had a great line up of songs, but the sound sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.