Thoughts on Beatles 2009 Remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Jan 3, 2018.

1. 'Their great. They sold. They're the bloody Beatles 09/09/09 remasters. Shut up!'

:angel:

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

9 year anniversary coming up. It’s time to put out a collectors disc of lip smacks, toggle switches, bum notes, and ending-Ks that they took away from us....with plenty of mid range.

3. nano nano

nano nano Forum Resident

Somebody's quote from earlier in the thread (the bolds are mine): "I used to think the Stereo remasters 2009 were the best things since time began. But then after taking a step back and looking at thing objectively and reading some truths on this forum, I realized I was completely brainwashed by a marketing campaign that pulled me in like a sucker."

This sentiment sums up the whimsical ebb/flow of these kind of issues on the forum and the distorted definition of objective it sometimes engenders. After the 2009 releases were hailed on this board as a triumph, someone(s) wrote "...now I can't wait until the 1987 CDs become the forum favorite again in the future..." As soon as something is out-of-print, or old, or unreleased or somehow made more scarce, its stock eventually rises. A few people weigh in, many dozens more read it and take it as gospel truth, lather/rinse/repeat for a few years and suddenly, as predicted, the 1987 stereo remasters are back on top!

bherbert, Gila, Keith V and 1 other person like this.
  4. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I dug out the mono vinyls the other day after a Beatles hiatus. Without being conscious of SQ (i.e. just listening for pleasure) I was struck by how great The White Album sounds - at low and high levels. The bass sounds superb. And if memory serves it's not even the best sounding of the reissues.

5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. It’s 9 years since 9/9/09.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The tube cuts are bass shy

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Happy 09/09! :cheers:

Keith V likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, not really. There were a handful that people liked, the rest were trashed.

DennisF likes this.
  9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

More than a handful if you include the CD Singles and CD EP Collections, that's almost half of the catalog already.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not including them

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just wanted to share this.

Buddhahat likes this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love my 2009 Beatle remastered cds.

13. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Hooray! Also, Beatles Rockband game was released, which allowed to peek a bit more into isolated parts of the songs.

Bring on the remixes! :evil:

Keith V likes this.
  14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

As do I, I just wish Abbey Road was done differently. The bass in some of the songs hurt my ears.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'll spin 2009 Abbey cd by tonight or tomorrow. Haven't listened to that cd in awhile.

16. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Every lip smack from 1964 is precious to me. 1965? Not so much. :p

Also happy 9th anniversary of the 9th day of the 9th month of the 2009th year Beatles remasters!

Keith V and mmars982 like this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

HAPPY 9TH BIRTHDAY BEATLES 2009 CD REMASTERS.!!

:cop: ;) :D:yikes::bdance::laugh:

Colocally and mmars982 like this.
  18. erocky

erocky Senior Member

There is a diversity of songs styles in the White Album that is pretty hard for any other Beatles album to top.

I would also argue that the Beatles playing alone on side 2 of Abbey Road is light years better than the playing on Rubber Soul and Revolver. Those two albums are masterpieces too.

19. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Looking back, the remasters were really good and tastfully done. Were they way better than the cd's of 87-88? They were better. The White Album and Abbey Road from the original cds were good.

David Campbell likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Compressed or not I'm glad the 2009 cds have some umph in them. IMHO

Keith V likes this.
  21. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

"Compressed" seems to be a huge no-no around these parts. Along it's tastefully done i see no problem with it.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  22. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I like the stereo remasters of the first 4, particularly Beatles For Sale

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It’s hard to explain the excitement that went on on 9/9/9. Still really like these CDs. Finally got the mono box last year. Didn’t get the Stereo box just the individual CDs. For all the complaints I’m very happy with what they did.

Keith V and John Buchanan like this.
  24. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I enjoy them immensely and often. I'm not set up for vinyl, so I can't comment on how the digital stacks up vs the analog. These days, for stereo mixes, I mostly go to the flac files on the apple USB.

I'm also happy I own the EP box set, the mono box set, and both Capitol boxes. Can't have too much Beatles!

25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It was exciting. I didn’t buy them right away but after awhile my wife started buying them for me for birthdays and holidays.
    I remember making my own cassette “remasters” for the car I had at the time. I also remember putting 1 and Songtrack on shuffle at home because that was the closest I had to remasters. It was a joyous week as my youngest son was born about 2 weeks before.

Oh. And two years later I got the Mono box at Best Buy for $99 because of a misprint.

Colocally and Clonesteak like this.