Thoughts on Jethro tull-This was?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Metalrob, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi forumers...For some reason the music of Jethro tull never entered my stereo and home although i always new of the band! But last month i bought the SW remix Lp-Aqualung and just cant stop listening because it is so amazingly GREAT! Whenever i found a "new" band like this i always love to go back to the first album in the discography and work myself through the albums...(how they evolved as musicians,how the sound change...etc.) So i wonder if i can stick to the new SW LPs of the albums,do they sound ok in dynamic and mixing or do ihave to go crazy about finding originals? Lp is my only consideration here.Then i saw that the first album-This was- is not part of the SW rereleases,is that right?But there is a 2014 Lp re-release using a 2008 stereo mix.Have anyone heard this and do it sound ok? And how do you fans rate this album for the music on it?

2. You are correct in that Steve Wilson has not remixed This Was in stereo or 5.1. There is a "Collector's Edition" CD set that includes a new stereo mix by Peter Mew and the original '68 mono mix. The new remix is generally well regarded from the comments I have read and the mono mix also seems pretty popular around here. The deluxe set is worth picking up too for the extra songs from '68.
    https://www.amazon.com/This-Was-Col...9&sr=8-1&keywords=jethro+tull+this+was+deluxe

I like the music, but it really just starts to show what they would be capable of playing. Their take on the blues doesn't excite me much, but Beggar's Farm, Serenade To a Cuckoo, My Sunday Feeling are top shelf Tull songs IMO.

3. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

It is one of the greatest albums ever made. It's the only Jethro Tull album with guitarist Mick Abrahams who was a big part of the original band, especially the blues element. He was replaced by Martin Barre and they went on to do loads more good stuff and some great stuff. Enjoy the journey.

4. Metalrob

Thanks man....have a good feeling about this journey!:D

qwerty likes this.
  5. This Was and the corresponding BBC sessions is all of the Tull I own, or ever will. To me, the blues stuff is where it's at for me and I've always found it extremely interesting.

mikmcmee, andy749, bobc and 2 others like this.
  6. Metalrob

Thanks for your informative answer but i am not that interested in extra songs.And only in vinyl hence my question about the sound quality of the 2014 LP release:)

7. Metalrob

Lp or CD?

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The 2014 LP is just the new stereo mix of the ten songs from the original This Was album. The CD is a double set with a new stereo mix, original mono mix, BBC tracks and singles from the period.

9. The original CD. A buddy of mine made me a tape of the This Was BBC Tracks, some 20 years ago. I still need to get the afore mentioned 2 CD set, plus I think the BBC sessions have been upgraded, I need those as well. With the endless parade of stuff from my favourite groups/performers, one finds themselves never getting around to getting upgrades, etc. of stuff that's further down the list, and then you are left wondering where all the years go by!

dougb222 likes this.
  10. Metalrob

haha...i know,it feels like when you are about to order something you find ten new releases you want and you end up with nothing.

11. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I began my Tull journey with This Was and I still love it. The band did develop and improve in my view peaking with Thick as a Brick but the first album is still a very fine piece of work and very different from what was to follow.
    If you do like This Was then I would recommend the first two albums from Blodwyn Pig the band Mick Abrahams formed after leaving Tull.
    Ahead Rings Out is in my view particularly good though many prefer the follow up, Getting To This.
    Enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  12. Metalrob

Thanks...have you heard the new stereo mix LP or CD?

13. Sorry, I miss-read your question. Since I have no interest in vinyl I'll wish you well and be off. :wave:

jsayers and Metalrob like this.
  14. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

This Was is one of my favorites. I bought the LP in '68 and have the Collector's Edition CD set. That's all I need. The bonus tracks are outstanding. Don't forget to check out Blodwyn Pig.

15. Metalrob

I might end up buying the cd too incase it sounds better and what i gather people seems to really enjoy the extras!!

16. Metalrob

For me the songwriting is of course the most important thing on a record but considering i am eager to push the buy button on this one and start my journey...do anyone have an input on the sound quality?
    Maybe - original cd VS 2008 new mix cd
    original LP VS 2014 new mix LP
    2008 cd VS 2014 LP
    I can of course buy them all and find out myself ;)

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm going to be honest. This Was was (at the time) the last Tull album I bought when I started collecting. I did Stand Up through to Broadsword and then went back to This Was, and to be honest, initially it didn't rock my socks off the way their other albums had, however it's a grower and today I will play it as frequently as Aqualung or TAAB.

18. Metalrob

Yes the debut albums of the 70s prog bands usually is not that good from my experiance though i really like Gentle Giants debut a lot.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Tull could have been one of the best UK blues bands, right up there with the Mac.
    2 singers, two lead instruments. And the flute was no gimmick.
    I still listen to This Was more than the any other Tull lp.
    The fact that there's no live shows from this band is a travesty.

mikmcmee, Tuco, recklessczar and 3 others like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yes, but don't start with the second lp, look for the one with the pig and the fattie.

21. Metalrob

? Bloodwyn pig,is that an album? The pig and the fattie? I am so lost!:(

22. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

This Was is a stripped down blues and blues-folk record. It's in some ways their best album if you prefer that sound over progressive rock....which I do. I like some later Tull but it ends for me at Benefit. I dig Aqualung and some later albums too but they were their best before they went rock-prog.

23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Their best album.

mikmcmee, paulieb00, bobc and 2 others like this.
  24. Metalrob

I am quite surprised of the praising of this album i read here. I really thought that this record was one i just had to listen through and get an idea of before quickly moving on to the next one! Now i am really looking forward listening to this.
    And i do like Blues rock and folk and prog so this journey is looking more and more exiting:goodie:

Tuco likes this.
  25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

The 1987 UK Chrysalis Swindon CD very good (CDP 32 1041 2)

Analyzed folder: /Jethro Tull/This Was (CDP 32 1041 2)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR15 -0.23 dB -17.12 dB 01 Jethro Tull - My Sunday Feeling.aiff
    DR13 -7.67 dB -24.63 dB 02 Jethro Tull - Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You.aiff
    DR14 -0.44 dB -19.05 dB 03 Jethro Tull - Beggar's Farm.aiff
    DR13 -1.67 dB -18.71 dB 04 Jethro Tull - Move On Alone.aiff
    DR15 -0.00 dB -19.43 dB 05 Jethro Tull - Serenade To A Cuckoo.aiff
    DR14 -2.22 dB -18.75 dB 06 Jethro Tull - Dharma For One.aiff
    DR15 -1.04 dB -18.96 dB 07 Jethro Tull - It's Breaking Me Up.aiff
    DR15 -0.93 dB -18.29 dB 08 Jethro Tull - Cat's Squirrel.aiff
    DR14 -3.13 dB -21.04 dB 09 Jethro Tull - A Song For Jeffrey.aiff
    DR12 -10.11 dB -27.72 dB 10 Jethro Tull - Round.aiff
    Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR14

Scope J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.