Thoughts on Jethro tull-This was?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Metalrob, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

The debut album is different as most have already pointed out and while, in a lot of ways, I'm kinda glad that Ian took full control, per se, with the leadership of the band and its musical direction, tracks like "Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You", "Move on Alone", "It's Breaking Me Up" and "Cat's Squirrel" are certainly an indication of Abrahams' influence and input; it gave a glimpse of how varied they could be at that point in time. I don't play This Was as much as other Tull titles, but I do get a "kick" out of it from time to time.

Metalrob and ParloFax like this.
  2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

This Was always sounded a bit too bright and with reduced bottom end on CD. The remix sounds really nice. Bring on a This Was book edition (10 years after the Collector's Edition) as well as Benefit redone in book format and TAAB re-released minus Peter Mew's mastering. I would be suspicious that the increased bottom end of the remix has reduced the DR score, barring seeing waveforms.

Metalrob likes this.
  3. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums of all time. Clive Bunkers drumming is great everywhere on every song. I was pulled in when My Sunday Feeling appeared on FM radio. The end section of Beggars Farm is just about my favorite moment in Rock music.

4. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Agreed! Clive is an absolute BEAST on This Was.

5. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have decided to pull the trigger on both the new mix double cd from 08 and the 2014 remastered LP.Will put an order in tomorrow:D.And if SW decide to do a new mix of this in near future i buy that one too.
    As usual i will give this one a lot of spins to really grab it before moving on too STAND UP but thats for another thread.Good times ahead!!!

SirMarc and Tuco like this.
  6. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

My favorite Tull album, although I listened to "Stand Up" the other day and still enjoy that as well. As well as random tracks from other albums.

Hope Wilson gets around to "This Was," would love a definitive version.

7. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Essential

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  8. Metalrob

As i understand a lot of people think the 08 mixes sound really good and would be difficult to better!

PsychGuy likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

like it, but I prefer the Benefit/ Aqualung albums...

Metalrob likes this.
  10. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident

Dusted off my 2008 reissue. Bought this at age 20, never knowing the true value of mono. Tonight I've plugged in my HD600s, popped the disc in my Cambridge and hit the mono switch on my Marantz. Nothing but the album and a bottle of french red to keep me company.

Dharma for One! Glory be!!

I've never known an album to be as simultaneously trashy yet sophisticated.

ParloFax and Metalrob like this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Bought it when it first came out and have always loved it.

mikmcmee, recklessczar and Metralla like this.
  12. Love the original UK cover, with no band name nor title on the front. I wonder if they were the first hip group to disguise as old men on their album cover. Ian does look like an old man here... and he's barely 21!

[​IMG]

joepepitone, FritzL and jerrygene like this.
  13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Me too. I would definitely rate it lower than Aqualung Benefit and Stand Up. Plus it has one of the worst album covers ever. Though I do like this photo and the inside photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Metalrob likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Abrahams told a UK magazine years ago they used to play the old blues chestnut Rock Me Baby live.
    wow, to have heard that
    Interestingly, he resurrected it for Blodwyn Pig near the end of the band

15. "This Was" is not among the best albums; it's exciting but uneven in spots. Yet it remains fascinating to me because it represents a Jethro Tull that will never return again after just one album and one stand-alone single. A Jethro Tull with two frontmen! Martin Barre gracefully said once in an interview, I believe in the late 90s, that he still thought of Mick Abrahams as Jethro Tull' s guitar player!

Metalrob likes this.
  16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I have a remastered 180gm from 2008 or so and love it. If the 2014 is a repress, you are good.

ParloFax likes this.
  17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I recommend both the 2008 remaster and all the Steven Wilson remixes on vinyl except Thick as a Brick. Find a nice older pressing of that one.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Ditto

recklessczar likes this.
  19. Metalrob

Thanks for the info Sir Marc:)

20. Metalrob

Thanks....but looking at discogs the only remastered Lp of this came in 2014?2008 was only cd.Maybe discogs is wrong?

21. Metalrob

Bad mastering or did SW not succed with the mixing on this one?

22. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Jeffrey plays the claghorn. I've been loving This Was since I bought it in 1971. Linear notes that were a great reflection of Ian's personality.

23. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

....oh, and I love that LP cover....

notesofachord and Dennis Metz like this.
  24. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I only like early Tull, and I think This Was is one of their best albums.

mikmcmee, recklessczar and Metalrob like this.
  25. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I was mistaken, the version I own is the EMI Millenium 180gm analog cut from 1999.
    Here’s a link:
    Jethro Tull - This Was

Alan2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.