Thoughts on Living Colour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JosephRose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love this band!

Vivid is great, Time's Up is probably my favorite, and Stain is pretty damn solid too.

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Honestly, I have their first Vivid and what a great debut it was. Also, the video was extremely cool for Cult of Personality with the Kennedy and Roosevelt quotes. Huge MTV song and hit. I saw them at my college in a fairly small gym just as they were breaking huge. It was a great show. I never had gotten anything else by them. Maybe I will go back and explore through your recommendations.

Booyaa73, Greenalishi and squittolo like this.
  3. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Saw them once live, it was a great concert. I used to love their music.

squittolo likes this.
  4. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Great band in their day. Sound a little dated today but huge respect!

squittolo likes this.
  5. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

(Reid = One of the best guitarists) + (Glover = One of the best vocalists) = Living Colour is underrated.

6. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Wasn't the biggest fan when they were around - liked a few tunes on each album (thinking maybe Stain was my favorite). That being said the one time I saw them I thought they were absolutely fantastic.

Bananas&blow and squittolo like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I played Stain a lot when it first came out but neglected it later, shame on me . Vernon Reid knew how to play heavy.

8. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Great band that put out a classic album (Vivid). Got caught up in racial politics (Times Up) and trying to hook into the alternative crowd (Stain), and never managed to find their way back to popular consciousness. Criminally overlooked band.

Jim Fixx, mikmcmee, pexie and 6 others like this.
  9. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

The first two records are classic. The musicianship on display there is at an extremely high level.

10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

11. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Black Metal > White Rap

12. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Great band, a real shot in the arm at the time..visceral...great songs...after Stain, I am not sure what happened.

squittolo likes this.
  13. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

squittolo, GodShifter and c-eling like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Terrible band IMO...saw them open for the Stones...people were booing.
    Vernon is one of the sloppiest players I've ever heard in a "professional" band.

I'll give him credit for good taste; back in 1992 he named Curve's Doppelganger in his top 5 for the year...

15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

LOL

Lands End Drums and bmoc79 like this.
  16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Vivid was great at the time. Really loved that album in '88.
    Time's Up was far less great -- though with a couple of their best songs -- overall bloated and probably too ambitious.
    Stain had a few OK tunes on it, but it seemed like they were running out of steam and were short on ideas.

I tried to stay with them after they reformed, but literally everything they've released since has been a massive disappointment. I finally gave up a few years back. These days I view them as a band who managed to put out one really enjoyable debut, and failed to follow it up with anything solid.

17. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I also saw them open for the Rolling Stones years ago and was very disappointed. I think it was probably a bad fit for them, as well as that they were not ready for stadiums. I have the first three albums and enjoy them, particularly the first and third. I agree that Vernon is a particularly noisy guitarist, but I enjoy the dissonance.

I did have the opportunity to see them recently on their anniversary tour for Vivid. Corey Glover was astoundingly good, and the band sounded fantastic overall. Hearing them in a club with the capacity of about 1100 was definitely the right environment. I didn't go expecting much but walked away pleasantly surprised and thoroughly entertained.

Westindieman, altaeria, pexie and 3 others like this.
  18. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

The one who never gets his due is Will Calhoun. Before Calhoun and Living Colour, you primarily heard bass drum, hi hat and snare drum on most commercial records at the time. Calhoun played a lot of cymbals and toms, and those elements weren't frequently heard on commercially successful records at that time. Besides being a terrific drummer, Calhoun opened the door for busier players on commercial records at that time.

19. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

A Stones audience booing an opening act? Well, colour me peach and black...

progrocker, somnar, Thwacko and 25 others like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

They didn't boo the Foo Fighters...

:D

21. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

They threw things at Prince. :rolleyes:

somnar, bmoc79, SG47 and 12 others like this.
  22. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Vernon Reid is a monster. LOVE these guys. For those of you who don't know, Reid has a background in avant-garde jazz, hence the dissonance and "sloppiness"...both things which I personally love. And Muzz Skillings...what a friggin great bass player. I know they've had Doug Wimbish for many years now, but I love me some Muzz.

23. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

This band is too underrated. Yeah everyone knows Cult Of Personality but there are a lot of great songs on their first two albums. Glamour Boys is a favorite, and Love Rears Its Ugly Head is an INCREDIBLE song. Honestly surprised it wasn't a big hit here, though the song reached number 12 on the UK charts.

mikmcmee, JSKC, bmoc79 and 5 others like this.
  24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

All covered in that other thread for the poor little petals that get upset when it's not a pentatonic scale ;)

SG47, Matthew Tate, Mychkine and 2 others like this.
  25. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I don't know about sloppy, but he has no taste. Horrible guitar player.

Jimmy B., showtaper and GodShifter like this.