Thoughts on Living Colour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JosephRose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

One of my favorite bands back in the day. I think Time's Up is a very underrated album. They lost something when Muzz left (other than a great bassist, of course) and have gone in a direction that's decent, but isn't exactly my cup of tea. I see quite a few people saying Shade is a return to form. Perhaps I will give it another listen.

2. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Anyone pick up Live at CBGB’s at Record Store Day? Hows the quality of performance/sound?

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Yes -

It sounds pretty damn good. Not the quitest pressing, but there's not really any quiet passages for that to matter.

It sounds better than it did on the floor, that's for sure!
    Will is tight (always), Muzz is thumping and Vernon and Corey both wail away on one of those great, early Colour set lists.
    Fun show then and so happy to have it in my vinyl collection, now.

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

5. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Original sound
    One hit wonder. Here and gone

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they actually had 2 top 40 hits

7. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

They had at least six hits. And they are not gone.

8. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

One of favorite bands and the one band I have seen more than anyone else! Love them and they still bring it live.

ytserush likes this.
  9. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Great band, saw them loads of times. One time, they covered Dancing Days. Awesome.

Back in 88, I think only the narrowest-minded of rock fans would've disliked them. I think they would be much more successful if they were starting out in 2018. More enlightened times, innit.

10. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

They were one of those bands that could have remained relevant, but Stain was a terrible album. I don't know what happened, if it was just Muzz's departure, but their songwriting just fell off a cliff.

mikmcmee likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

huh? I enjyed these tunes on stain
    go away
    ignorance is bliss
    leave it alone
    bi
    nothingness
    auslander

probably 1-2 others. that's not terrible. I think the planned 4th album would have been better but it was scrapped. 4 tunes are available on pride. I wonder how many more songs are in the can for the unreleased 4th album? I heard the music to a few of these tunes appeared on reids solo album mistake identity

12. I'd LOVE a nicely curated 3 or even 4 CD box set of material by the band -- something similar to The Pretender's Pirate Radio, in terms of the number of rarities vs. standard album tracks (plus they could include a DVD, or not, that I wouldn't care about so much).

It seems like there's been a ton of different 1CD compilations -- some more hits focused, others really some oddly-configured comps with more rarities.

But -- QUESTION -- has there ever been any Living Colour comps that were even 2 discs?

(Even a good 2-disc comp wouldn't be a bad idea either, though I'd still rather have a full 3-4 CD box.)

ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

the band has tons of remixes , soundtrack tunes, b-sides, etc

14. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Wasn't there a 2-disc version of Pride? If I remember right (and I'm not home to go to the closet and see!) there was a second disc of seven or so rarities (Burning the Midnight Lamp/Final Solution, etc.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. You said it. I think I've got 3 or maybe even 4 different (weird) LC comps, just for the rarities they've included. The Japanese Biscuits (with all the extra live material), and some weird comp with about 4 acoustic cuts -- and another one with that KILLER cover of Tracy Chapman's "Talkin' About A Revolution" on it (live in ~1988/89, iirc).

Here 'tis, if anyone doesn't know it. The fun thing is that Corey almost (almost!!) sounds more than a little bit like Tracy at the beginning -- just enough that you can put it on for people, and if they know the original Chapman version -- then when the band kicks in, I've had a few people who were all "Holy F***, who the hell is THAT??!!!" :winkgrin:

jhm, ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Are you thinking of the Biscuits EP? Perhaps at one point they released them as a set?

17. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

It feels like a different band to me. The groove isn't as obvious, the music is darker and less melodic. I like Nothingness, but most of the rest of the album wears on me.

mikmcmee and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

ther is a 2 cd Australian only version of pride I believe

19. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I have the first two albums, Vivid was repressed in the last decade.

20. doc021

doc021 Forum Resident

Living Colour was a band way ahead of it's time. A combination of rock, funk, hip hop molded together by a guitar virtuoso, a driving bass and drum and a vastly underrated frontman/lead singer. Saw them at Pittsburgh Syria Mosque in support of Vivid and it was an excellent show. Sadly missed them more recently at local clubs. Very underrated band in my opinion.

21. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Time's Up was probably my own first Heavy Metallish CD. I didn't have any friends at the time that were into HM, and the mainstream media professional reviewers hated metal, so I missed out on a whole lot of good stuff. But suddenly it was recommended (because of the eeh - colour ;) - and I finally had a kind of metal album. It was a great album: Type, Information Overload, This is the Life and many more. I couldn't get Vivid, but a got the single CD Cult of Personality and the following album. Time's Up is the favorite!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Liked the first album a lot, apart from the god-awful Talking Heads cover version.

Caught them live in London at the Town & Country gig, a lot of my friends went, and it wasn't a sell out, with meant it was quite free flowing in the stands, so we could get right to the front and it was no hassle on anyone. Really good fun, great gig. If I remember the lead singer ripped his trousers!

I was transfixed by Vernon Reid, what a great original guitarist. He made his guitar sound like he was putting it through actual pain.

They always came 2nd to Fishbone though IMO, one of the greatest bands of all time, especially live.

Instant Dharma and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

T

Those two Japanese comps of Biscuits and Dread are pretty amazing. Only other comp I have is Pride. I know there are several other comps out there, but I never noticed anything rare on any of them unless it was live and I didn't notice.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Big fan of Living Colour BITD, 1st 2 albums, Biscuits, and liked Stain a lot too. Saw them put on an incendiary show in Burlington, VT around 1990. How else could you describe one of their shows back in those days? Lost touch with them during their hiatus, got out of the habit of buying CDs and haven't picked up any of their more recent releases.

Got Reid's solo album "Mistaken Identity", loved the way he played on their early stuff. But man, do I hate that solo album!!! Anybody on here wants it, offer me a trade of something you might be looking to get rid of and we can talk.

ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

see i have reid's solo stuff and love it

ytserush likes this.