Thoughts on Living Colour?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JosephRose, Feb 22, 2016.

1. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Vernon’s a terrific follow on Twitter, btw. Glad to hear the CBGB’s is solid. I came across a promo single of Cult of a Personality that included a couple live tracks including the Tracy Chapman cover, so I thought that would scratch a live Living C9lour fix, but now I’m second guessing that decision!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

On a Bill Simmons podcast today on the ringer, the same website from the Vivid article I posted yesterday, Bill calls them ‘In Living Colour’ while mentioning new content on the website this week.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Yes! Now that I'm home, I just grabbed it and it is indeed an Australian edition. Eclectic track listing, but a pretty cool comp.

Pride (Living Colour album) - Wikipedia

mikmcmee and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever seen that version. you actually own it?

5. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Yes, much to my surprise! Little did I know that to track it down I had to go all of four feet. When Tower Records was still a thing in Chicago they had an amazing import section, I'm sure that's where it came from and it just got lost in the endless pile of plastic. The version of Final Solution is epic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Matthew Tate

thanks. I want that plus the rare releases dread , the import biscuits and the hard to get whats your favorite colour compilation

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

For me, a flash in the pan, although like most other artists who had a brief heyday, they will always have their loyal cult following.

8. I wouldn't go that far, but Reid certainly has the worst lead guitar tone of any name player I'm aware of.

Malina likes this.
  9. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Saw these guys live in Tampa some time around 1989 or 1990 on a MTV 120 Minutes-sponsored co-headlining tour with the Godfathers. I went there to see Living Colour but wasn't all that impressed. But the Godfathers were fantastic.

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Absolutely love Living Colour. Time's Up and Stain are my favourites.
    Saw them in 1993 on the Stain tour and they were fantastic.
    My ears rang for about a week because they were so loud, but otherwise, it was fantastic.

I love Vernon Reid's guitar playing and tone.
    If Frank Zappa morphed into a demented noodling, widdling, million notes a second type player, he would sound like Vernon Reid.
    It's ugly and beautiful at the same time, and it's not so slick that it's sounds mechanical and soulless.

Hermes and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I can see how someone might say that on certain songs, but on songs like Type, I think his tone cuts right through and has a frenetic energy to it that fits the song perfectly.

Hermes and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Discussions of Tone in the Rack Effects Era is pointless. Nobody playing through that type of front end had any discernible Tone, really.

Vernon had some really smooth sounding rigs that he used in spots (Solace for example).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i really liked vivid and times up... but i kind of lost track of them after that

14. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

When would you peg the boundaries of that era? Because, IMO, some of Reid's contemporaries had phenomenal tone: Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani. I even love that era for Alex Lifeson.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I'll give you Johnson and Leifson, those guys are dripping with great tone (and really I never understod how Johnson was able to have the touch he does through his rig, which was massive then).

Satriani's was pretty similar to Vernon's in those early years. Sometimes amazing others, meh... it really depends greatly on how you use all of that gear.

But I would say from around 1985 - 1995 there were a ton of great players who abandoned tone for a giant rack of effects and pre-units (EQ, Noise Gates, etc).

16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Great band all around, I prefer Muzz to Doug, but they really are both fantastic bassists. Have Shade on the way to me, and I am definitely looking forward to hearing it. I like that they didn't really sound like anyone else.

17. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

See, I hear Satriani's tone on The Extremist and Flying in a Blue Dream and to me, it just sings. When we get to Crystal Planet and later, I'd agree, it starts to sound like Reid a bit. Another guy who I feel had sick tone back int hat day was Jason Bieler of Saigon Kick. I was a lousy player, but I wanted a Rivera just to sound like him. I later learned that tone is 90% hands, 10% gear.

And then of course, there is Slash. :)

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You are right, there.
    Al DiMeola taught me that lesson back in 1991.

19. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Got the RSD live CBGB's and it's great! I had totally forgotten about LC. Great band

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Not to mention that a couple of the Time's Up songs could be considered AOR hits as Type and Love Rears It's Ugly Head were played a lot back in the day.

Matthew Tate and stodgers like this.
  21. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Yeah, I looked at it that way when I came up with six earlier in the thread. Though the songs that made up the six surprised me. I heard Nothingness way more than Leave it Alone, and thought Elvis is Dead got more play than the numbers suggested.

I still think their biggest mistake was never releasing Solace of You in the US.

22. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Maybe just a case of someone thinking it was too much a departure from earlier singles.

stodgers likes this.
  23. Matthew Tate

yeah they had some big radio rock hits and other charts. I thought they had a few r&b chart hits too

stodgers likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

have any ofg the bands other live releases on cd or vinyl?

25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I saw them twice, once backing up the Stones: phenomenal.

Matthew Tate likes this.