Thoughts on MARANTZ SR 6011

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Interested in knowing comments on musical quality of this AVR and if Audyssey is worthwhile as earlier Audyssey is just a gimmick as outlined in Hi-Fi World magazine.

2. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I've never used the previous versions personally so I don't know if it's an improvement. It sounds great though. I've sold and installed a few and bought one for my personal use.

3. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

I have both the SR7005 and SR5007 AVRs from Marantz and we love them. Each has Audyssey which works very well, IMHO. My rooms aren't perfect listening environments so I found Audyssey to be very beneficial, and in fact sought it (or other good equivalents) out when buying.

4. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

I just won the bid on a Marantz SR5007 on eBay in excellent condition but don’t think the Audyssey mic is included. Do I need one specific for this make or would the one from my dead Onkyo work? Or maybe just set the speakers manually since I just have two fronts and a center.

5. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Yes, you need the correct microphone. Very important, if it's not the right mic then the mic calibration programmed into the Marantz will be incorrect. They are not all the same. There is a calibration curve specifically made that is stored in the receiver. Its the Audyssey ACM1H(B) mic for that model.....

Kubricker likes this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Kubricker likes this.
  7. Kubricker

Thanks guys.

LarryP likes this.
  8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The one that I linked is advertised as working for Marantz and Onkyo, but I am not sure if it is the exact same model.

Kubricker likes this.
  9. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

I have a 6011 upstairs and a 7011 in my basement home theater. Love them both and I used Audyssey to set them up.

10. Kubricker

I have a pretty simple speaker setup. Wonder if it’s worth getting the mic or just setting them manually?

11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the best part of any AVR that has it (I have an SR 6011), so getting the mic is a no-brainer to me. You can set levels manually, but you can't do the MultEQ room correction or use Dynamic EQ.

LarryP likes this.
  12. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I have the SR6010 - the previous year's model. (Marantz is up to the 6012 now). Overall it sounds really good to these ears, esp. with well done 5.1 & hi-res material.

Sometimes program material seems to have a bit of a solid state/digital glare. Use it for music and video. I play BDs and also stream Netfix, Amazon, Hulu. Just got the 4K Apple TV, which is hooked up to the 6010 as well.

Totally digging all of it. Good value for money. See my profile for the rest of my gear.

[Edit] Don't use the Audessey - didn't care for it. Prefer to do my own calibrations by ear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.