Thoughts on Marvin's "Midnight Love"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottenbold, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    I picked this up for 50p from a charity shop today. I only know "Sexual Healing" from this album. How do people on here feel about this album?

2. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

A pretty good comeback. A few very good tracks. And some filler. He sounded very good and refreshed...

3. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i like the single-hit and "third word girl"... surely one of the better soul albums from the eighties with bobby womack's poet I + II albums and rapture by anita baker

4. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

It's okay. Two great tracks, and some filler. I actually prefer the outtakes album that came out after his death, Dream of a Lifetime. It's got 4 great tracks: Sanctified Lady, Masochistic Beauty, and remixes of two older, unreleased songs - Symphony and Dream of a Lifetime.

Here My Dear, the album before Midnight Love, is the one to get. For me it's his second-best after What's Going On. The two-disc deluxe version is amazing.

5. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

As an album of its time, it stands out. I love the tracks Rockin' After Midnight and Midnight Lady from it. But you can tell he just wanted to have a hit again after so many years writing introspective stuff. I read somewhere that this was one of the albums that musically influence what became new jack swing later in the decade so it definitely had some impact as most of Marvin's records had after 1968.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Not a fan.

I like the Hot 8 Brass Band version of "Sexual Healing" better

musicdr likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

A few people I know think it blows (“Sexual Healing” aside), but I think it’s his strongest album after What’s Going On and Let’s Get It On. I like every cut on Midnight Love.

somnar likes this.
  8. musicdr

musicdr Active Member

Here My Dear and In Our Lifetime are much better. Personally I think its his worst album.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  9. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Love this album. Unlike many artists who had difficulty adapting to new styles and production techniques, Gaye made a record that sounded like the times in the best way. The songs are terrific, as are the arrangements (particularly the horns). The only ones ahead of it on my list are What’s Going On and Here, My Dear.

Reading David Ritz’s book sheds super interesting light on how it came to be.

10. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Late to the party, but IMO this is a classic. One of many fine albums Marvin released. "Sexual Healing" is fantastic and the track "My Love Is Waiting" brings a smile to my face everytime I hear it. I think the album sounds ahead of it's time.

somnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.