Thoughts on SVS subwoofers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JBStephens, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

Or, if you prefer, subwolfers.

I'm considering a pair of SVS to sit under the Polks. I do wish I could find unpowered subs, as I have extra gear I can use to drive them. But with all the shopping around I've done for subwoofers online, SVS seems to be the best choice. Music only, not the least but interested in home theatre.

If anyone here uses SVS subwoofers, I'd sure appreciate hearing you opinions. Since I got the Polks I don't have to spend the $2,000 I was going to on new speakers, so I'm very close to a subwoofer purchase. What speakers are you using them with? Difficulty in setting them up? Overall impressions?

The BIC's work well as subs, but the bass is very sloppy and loose.

Thanks!

JB

2. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Svs does seem to offer very good value, for music I'd go with a sealed model.

I'd also consider rythmik.

Kyhl and gd0 like this.
  3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have the SB-2000 and am considering getting a second one. It is not the least bit boomy and very musical.

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Another vote for sealed in a music-only system.

Any of the big 3 online sub mfrs will be a good bet: SVS, Hsu, Rythmik. Popular online speaker mfrs Salk and Ascend partner up with Rythmik rather than try to design their own subs.

I've got SVS's very cheapest cylinder sub from 15(?) years ago, and I'm not in any hurry to upgrade. My HT speakers are unspectacular Cambridge Soundworks, but everything is locked in nicely.

Any setup difficulty will have more to do with your room than any procedure. Be willing to calibrate more than once. Be willing to reposition subs, or consider bass traps. Get a cheap dB meter from Radio Shack.

Enjoy!

5. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't considered Rythmic before reading the posts, but they look pretty capable as well. Two things: I must have a sealed sub, and I must have a pair. But the more I think about it, the more SVS looks like the winner. For one, their return policy/trial period. For another, free shipping. Of course there is no such thing as FREE shipping, "price includes shipping" would be more accurate, but the price is reasonable given that. And Rhythmic has a clause about "abuse", saying that running more than 25 percent of the time is "abuse" and voids the warranty. Of course, I don't intend to listen to continuous sine waves, but that still bothers me in a way. It implies that their woofer "can't take it". And the Rhytmic has a "Q" of 0.3??????? Must have something to do with that servo thing, because that's just impossibly low.

I'm just about ready to take the plunge, here, and while most subs are by themselves capable, I think SVS has the winning company. Plus the SVS has a phase control. I like that idea.

Thanks, everyone.

6. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Me too. Love mine. Thinking about getting another, as well as an SB1000 for the office...

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I've been happy with SVS for my 2 channel. It really augments my Heresys which don't go below 60htz.

8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've owned a lot of subs over the years including three Martin Logans.

I replaced my ML Grotto with a $769 ported sub from SVS for my home theater. It is night and day better than the ML - NIGHT AND DAY.

I use a $499 sealed sub in my office system with Silverline Minuet Supreme plus's. It's a fabulous combination.

They are great folks to do business with, terrific customer support.

Highly recommended.

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yep. The do have great support. Forgot to mention that.

As an aside, I bought a sub off ebay. The PO packed it in peanuts, which meant the port, which was across the basal part of the sub, got packed with peanuts too. The cat really enjoyed trying to catch the peanuts as they were blown out and sucked back in. Fantastic humor. It was a Velodyne and in no way comparable to the SVS.

10. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I have 1 Rythmik down firing 15" sealed sub and the thing never gets above an idle. I couldn't imagine using two. The room is about 2,800 cubic feet and it fills it easily.

11. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I'm considering upgrading from the $10 Mediabridge connecting my Marantz receiver to an SVS SB 12-NSD and was looking at the Audioquest Irish Red, Boxer as well as SVS's own SoundPath cable. A 3 meter SVS runs $35 while the Audioquests are $89 and $179, respectively. Now, I would think that SVS, selling subwoofers would want to associate their product with a cable that would put it in the best possible light, so their $35 cable should be just fine. But part of me wonders whether spending 3X to 6X as much on the Audioquests would improve things (or not). I welcome your thoughts. Thanks!

Edit: I've not heard any BICs, but my previous sub was a $100 Polk which was pretty awful (I gave it away). Am very happy with the SVS; setup is important though (crossover at 80, etc.)

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm thinking of getting a subwoffer and after reading many threads on the subject, I've decided to go with a SVS SB-1000 as I will be using my 5.1 set-up for multichannel music, not movies.

The question I have is why do some have two subs in their set-up instead of the usual one?

Thankls for sharing your thoughts on the matter.

13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

^ Achieving good bass/sub-bass response – with no "holes" or "bumps" – can be difficult, depending on the room.

Simply adding a sub can sometimes minimize or eliminate such problems.

Or sometimes a large room needs the extra energy that a 2nd sub can provide.

For the time being, set up your single sub, calibrate and hope for the best. You might or might not need a 2nd.

It's all about the room.

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.