thoughts on the Dynavector 20X2L cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Coldacre, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwduke

rwduke Member

When you say retipping, is that something you do once the needle is worn down from use? Or is that some kind of tweak to do right away?

2. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

If there is groove damage, you will hear it. Overall my collection is in VG++ shape on up, some dogs that I played back in the days of ceramic cartridges, but overall in pretty good condition. With that in mind, the Dynavector 20X2L is a great cartridge and you will enjoy your collection.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have heard both. I had a Rega P3-24 with a 20x2H that went out for repair, and my dealer gave me a P3-24 to use while I waited. While the 10x5 is a nice cartridge it's just not in the same league as the 20X2H was for me. Everything about the 20x2 is significantly better. So, yes, it is very well worth the extra cost. The 10x5 sounds flat and lifeless after you've heard the 20x2 for a while.

Meanwhile, I have not been able to get good synergy with the Rega RP3/20x2H in my room and system (the Rega interacts with the room too much). I am ordering a Clearaudio Performance and Maestro Wood to replace it. I want something a tad warmer in the midrange, thus I'm going to try the Maestro Wood instead of moving the 20x2H to the new table.

20x2 takes 100 hours before it sounds right, and 300 hours before it really shines.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've heard both the 20xH and xL and I feel the low is quite a bit better than the high. Better resolution, more detail. Just better all around. Plus if you're going to use the P75 phono you can gain all the benefit(which is a lot) by taking advantage of the PE circuit.

Dahuky likes this.
  5. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I'm just talking about when you know the stylus is just about at the end of its lifespan. It makes a lot more sense to do the retipping on a more expensive cartridge, in my book.

A lot of times, I think it's only natural when people tell themselves they hear huge differences when they've just spent a lot of money on a new toy.

Sure, the step up is a little better, but it's not one of these "Wow, a veil has just been lifted!" kind of things. Maybe I don't hear it as much since I've only had high output moving coil cartridges, who knows?

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member Thread Starter

it's 20% off the price of the old cart - otherwise you could buy a 10X5 for $500 then trade it in and get a $2000 discount on the top of the line Dynavector cart :D

7. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member Thread Starter

sometimes descriptions on the internet shouldn't be taken too literally. it's not like if you're listening to AC/DC, the Marshall amplifiers will start to sound like Roland Jazz Chorus's :D
    the term "relaxed" was used just in comparison to the 10X5 cart; as in the 1%'ers that differentiate between the two.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Dynavector is a lot kinder to a lot of surface defects than the ATOC9 II. Mine is retired for now as I was finding the top end a bit dull as it wore in (800 hrs). It is a great tracker and better more musical midrange than the AT.

Dahuky likes this.
  9. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

No, it'll rock with great bass. In comparison to the 10x5, I found the 20x2L new to have much greater bass along with loads of detail and a fuller overall sound. It's definitely more refined. I'd find a dealer that has one and give it a listen.

10. Josquin des Prez

Relaxed is definitely not what I would call my 20x2H. I would have gotten an L but I'd really prefer to get a better phono stage before using low output cartridges (I have a Moon 110LP).

I think maybe my only complaint is that the 20x2H can sound slightly thin and analytical in the midrange for classical music (I only listen to acoustic jazz and classical). That's why I'm going to try the Clearaudio Maestro Wood on my new table.

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, and if you go a few threads over 'Totally New to Vinyl -How to Take Care of My Records' some have been claiming that you'll have to replace that same cartridge at 500 hours. Thankfully, this statement was corrected by others and I now feel a small sense of relief.

This is what I'm looking forward to with the P75mk2 w/20x2L combo. This is what I suspect is my last step in my system for the complete synergy I've been aiming for over the last few years.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking as I was doing the same kind of math in my head. I felt like a ******* for asking but I figured I'd throw it out here before I do so at the store.:laugh:

12. rwduke

rwduke Member

Great info. Thank you. I'm confused though. Needledoctor has 20X2 and it appears to be Low. You mentioned 20X2H. Are these all the same carts or what is that letter designating?

13. rwduke

rwduke Member

Ahh, ok thanks. That makes sense to me as well.

Good, I'll be listening to AC/DC :) I love almost all genres of music pre-1990.

I will try to find a dealer.

14. Josquin des Prez

The DV 20x2 comes in two versions, L for low output, H for high output. I have a Simaudio Moon 110LP. While it's great for high output cartridges, it doesn't really have enough gain for low output. If I am going to get a good low output cartridge I don't want to use it with a better phono preamp.

Soon I will be switching to an even higher output moving magnet cartridge.

15. Vinny Richards

Vinny Richards New Member

its dissapointing but the 7.1 with the mojo isnt that much better. i think the mojo id between the blue and bronze. so after all my research i am back again trying to find a better cartridge. the highs on the mojo are ugly to say the least

16. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I purchased the 20x2L for my VPI Classic 1 based on a recommendention from VPI.

Very happy with the sound, which has gotten even sweeter over time.

Great cartridge.

If you are hearing too much bass, I would suggest slightly adjusting the height of the tone arm.

17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the 20x2 and jazz? And would I need a 2mm spacer for my RP6 to run this cart? Can anyone compare it to the Denon DL-103R?
    TIA!

18. Josquin des Prez

I had a 20x2 on a RP3 a couple years ago. It needed a 2mm spacer. All I listen to is jazz and classical. The 20x2 with a Moon 110LP sounded great with jazz.

raferx likes this.
  19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Well, my 20x2 has a Soundsmith re-tip, so not equivalent, but it does just fine with jazz.

If you need to adjust your Rega tonearm height these are the best way to go (though expensive):
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Acoustic-Signature-Shim-Set-for-Rega-Tonearm

bluemooze likes this.
  20. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

raferx and bluemooze like this.
  21. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I had a Dynavector 20x2 high output cartridge on my VPI Classic 2 for almost two years. I really enjoyed it. I found it exceptionally warm and liquid. Smoooooooth. The 20x2 sounded great with almost all jazz that I played.

While not the most accurate cartridge I've ever owned, it consistently made me want to listen to more music. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, there's a whole bunch right with a cartridge which does that.

Dahuky and raferx like this.
  22. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Many thanks for the responses!!!

23. Josquin des Prez

Matches my experience with that cartridge. The Clearaudio Talisman V2 I have now has similar qualities but takes things up some notches.

24. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Very tempting to upgrade my 10X5...

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's a good cartridge especially bass and vocals. However the AT 33EV beats it all round for similar money or less. Nice bass, more neutral and superior treble and tracking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.