Thoughts on these Paradigms?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Poolshark, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poolshark

Poolshark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any thoughts on the Paradigm Studio 100 v.2 ? They popped up on my local Buy/Sell for around $375US ($500CA). Not sure if my incoming Yamaha A-S501 could drive them. Also curious if they are worth the asking price. Seem to be in good condition. Won't be able to audition them until the weekend and thats only if they are still available. Here is a pic for reference...cause we all love pics :)

[​IMG]

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Yes they are worth it. The Studio series was an excellent speaker. I now have a pair of the Monitor series in my home theater. The monitor series was the series right below the Studio series. I have the Monitor 7v3 with a Yamaha Adventage home theater receiver and use a TT in two channel mode. Sound is great! $350 for the pair....good shape....I'd say go for it with the quickness!

Manimal, wgb113 and Poolshark like this.
  3. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Paradigm makes great speakers...I used to own a pair of Studio 60 v4 and a pair of Studio 10 v5...great sound.

Manimal and Poolshark like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I have 100's v.5 and they are great. They are reasonably efficient at 93 db but I feel like they really blossom with power. They recommend 30 to 300 watts. I ran mine with a 200 watt amp and they really open up and run super clean at 90 db and higher. I hooked them up to 25 watt tube amp just for fun and it wasn't very much fun.

The complaint I would offer is that they can sound a bit bright or harsh depending on the amp you connect them to. I would also say they like some space and the ability to run them loud. I wouldn't get them if you have shared walls with a neighbor.

For $350 its a no brainer. Mine retailed for $3,500.

Manimal and caupina like this.
  5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

If in good shape, it is a good price. I have seen v1 selling for double the price locally. But I don't think the Yamaha can make it sings. 85w is kind of too low power if you want loud punchy bass.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. Poolshark

The issue I have is that my listening room is 10'X13'. I won't be cranking these super loud due to the house layout and well....kids. No neighbours super close but the Yamaha I have coming is giving me pause.

7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I wouldn't be worried about the size of the room. Just make sure you get an amp with enough power. Mine are 93 db and I have them running off a 90 watt per channel home theater. In two channel mode with me playing a turntable in the family room, the sound is great...and not bright at all. Good clean sound.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Look at it like this, it's not going to make you Yamaha sound any worse. I would say that you are getting out in front with your speakers as far as the system is concerned but that is a pretty good thing to do with speakers and a great thing to do for only $350.

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I agree but I would also say a good clean sound can be bright depending on what you are running through it. There isn't much color there if you need it to balance a system.

10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Great speaker, well worth it IMHO. Paradigm is a consistently decent speaker. In the day I used to pine for the 100’s. Heck still do.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

If I don’t figure out what to do with this situation, I might be able to help you out.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Is that your listening igloo?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Not yet. The reality is that I have no desire to sit in that basement when I have a perfectly comfortable situation worked out other places. It’s not looking good for the $5,000 dollars worth of speakers I have in this picture. If only I could go back in time I would spend that money much differently.

We did however have many happy years together.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I had Paradigm Studio's in my Home Theater years as well. I had actually totally kicked my HiFi addiction until I replaced them with B&Ws, then needed a better amp to drive the B&Ws, then...........

Bananas&blow and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice! Kinda looking at them Tekton Impacts though. The beast with a thousand eyes might like the mighty Pioneer 1250:)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Assuming they don’t have black mold in the cabinets Studio 100’s for $375 is a spectacular deal (even if the drivers are damaged they’d be worth the expense to fix).

The current equivalent Prestige 85F’s are $4,000/pair.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I stared with studio 40’s and a REl sub. I started playing records, the sub wouldn't work for some reason I could never figure out so I got the 100’s. It has really spiraled out of control from that point. I always thought they sounded a bit harsh on the high end. Hence vacuum tubes for a pre amp, then for a phono stage and then a MC cart. All an attempt to tame a bit of harshness and warm it up a bit. All big improvements, gobs of detail but missing a bit of tone.

Enter a fisher 400 and cornwalls and now I have an igloo full of paradigms.

I’m still quite fond of them but for me, I think they need a warmer sounding amp. I’m thinking a McIntosh, sunsui g9000 or an impractical tube amp that is pushing 100watts or more.

I don’t think I would personally dig them with an 85watt Yamaha but that is more of and issue with the yammie than the speakers.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I never heard the 40's, but always loved that half-tower design. Surprised that concept didn't take off. Kind of like a modern take on the classic three-way monkey coffin.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Did someone say three way monkey coffins?
    [​IMG]

20. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Patience @Poolshark , you don't even have the amp yet. Take a deep breath. Live with the amp a couple of weeks and see if you like it. I'm being somewhat hypocritical here as I've been on a binge myself. While I love your enthusiasm, it's easy to go too fast in this hobby and end up with $4,000 on your credit card in just over a month like some impatient idiot I know :whistle:.

BZync, Dennis0675 and caupina like this.
  21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Man. That's what I'd expect to see at Glenn Danzig's yard sale.

black sheriff likes this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nothing creepy about this at all. Also, I have a full Munsters theme in my listening room.

23. Poolshark

Yeah you are probably right. Just been a long time since I had the time, energy and enthusiasm to setup a 2 channel oasis away from people and life so to speak. I'll wait until the amp arrives and cool my audio jets :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.