Thrash metal all purpose thread (love AND hate)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DDTM, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Oh yes, I forgot that there isn't an Amazon in Serbia, which must restrict music shopping somewhat. Going off topic for a bit, have you always lived there (your name would suggest that, but there's a forum member who resides in Slovakia who's actually originally from the US)? Your English is remarkably good, especially given how different it must be from the Serbian language.

2. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Yes, I was born here. I am a post-graduate student of English language and literature, so there's that, plus, English is everywhere here, really. Music, TV series (classic British comedy has always been HUGE here), movies... The children here also have 8 years in total of compulsory English classes. It's easy to pick up. I do believe that sometimes native speakers of English, who are not familiar with or interested in the minutiae of English grammar, do not realize how relatively simple it is. By contrast, Serbo-Croatian is an absolute nightmare of a language to learn, even, I think, for native speakers of other Slavic languages.

EDIT: Oh, and, thank you. Where are my manners! :D

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've found myself nostalgic lately for my headbanging days of the late 80's/early 90's. I have CDs of all the Megadeth/Metallica/Slayer albums and play them regularly, but I am thinking of groups like Sacred Reich and Vio-lence that I'd like to hear again. Naturally, my old cassette tapes have vanished over the years. So I've hit Amazon looking for them. I am surprised and a little dismayed that these and many other titles by bands I loved as a teen are now OOP and relatively expensive to acquire. What gives? No love for thrash metal out there no more? I don't want no MP3 download, dammit! I want to relive my childhood with a Sacred Reich CD!

4. DDTM

I tell you, thrash gets no respect. :D

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think you are sadly mistaken about metal music.

Now, i'm not its biggest fan, but I do like quite a bit of it from the 80s. Even I know that it is varied. Not all of it is dark, angry, or deals with the occult. Those are the stereotypes. Metal is just like R&B, that it's varied. But, as the reverse, as you point out, there are those who think that is all the same.

6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Yes Chuck loved those first few Kix albums! The first album is GREAT!

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I've been using Discogs for stuff I don't find in the shops. Amazingly I have come across some relatively hard to find metal LPs in the better used vinyl stores.

8. DDTM

I must say I didn't like the one Kix album I've heard. I think it might have been Midnite Dynamite.

9. Juggsnelson

Yeah that one is kind of a hybrid between the hair metal sound they would become (of which "Blow My Fuse" and "Hot Wire" are excellent albums in this genre) and the record company induced new-wave leanings featured on the previous "Cool Kids" album (which is not so great). The first record is rock-pop with some killer hooks. Definitely recommended! As are "Blow My Fuse" and "Hot Wire" if you dig 80's rock. Check out the video for "Cold Blood" on YouTube...if you like this tune then explore "Blow My Fuse" and "Hot Wire". IMHO "Cold Blood" is awesome!

Standoffish likes this.
  10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I think I wore my cassette out playing "Cold Blood" back in the day. Now I'm tempted to dig out the CD...

11. DDTM

I know the title track from Blow My Fuse, and it's alright.

12. Juggsnelson

"Cold Blood" is to me their best track. Totally worth checking out if you have not heard it!!

13. Juggsnelson

Agreed....I love Kix but that song isn't all that great!

14. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

Sorry I never got back to you. Rockadrome has Energetic Disassembly for sale here, though I'm afraid it looks like the item is currently out of stock AND they never reissued Control and Resistance.

http://www.rockadrome.com/store/roc...wer-energetic-disassembly-cd-rock013-f-2.html

THAT was reissued and remastered last year by some label named "divebomb." I have no idea if this edition is any good or not. They have streaming samples at a bandcamp page, bitcrushed of course.

http://tribunalrecords.bigcartel.com/product/watchtower-control-and-resistance

http://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/control-and-resistance

15. HumanMachinery

16. HumanMachinery

To be fair, the pronounced segregation of musical appreciation by genre is FAR more common in Europe, Japan, and other developed countries. Music fans in The United States (and to a lesser extent Canada) are more known for an attitude of "take what you want and leave the rest."

Which I think definitely has its benefits in an artistic context, but in another fashion, it can also represent the breakdown of communities. Not surprisingly, the hyper-individualist culture of America has an almost adversarial response to the notion of a community.

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm definitely interested in these 2 CD's, especially the debut (currently out of stock, and only few copies left, but I've requested a notification via e-mail when it's back in stock). :wave:

As for Control and Resistance, I'm interested in hearing from someone who has listened to that re-master. I doubt it's truly adequate dynamics-wise, but who knows... I recently bought the re-mastered 2CD set comprising the 1st and 3rd Psychotic Waltz albums (I know, it's not strictly thrash but it has a strong thrash influence) and wasn't very pleased with the sound (funnily enough, A Social Grace was compressed much more than Mosquito). But it has some essential bonus tracks, and I got it brand new from a genuine e-tailer, thus supporting the re-united band, so whatever...

18. DDTM

Another band I need to check out. If I'm remembering this correctly, Chuck Schuldiner spoke very highly of them.

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

A truly original band, and, compared with Dream Theater (since they belong to the same prog metal generation), it's almost a complete antithesis. Technical without unnecessary show-offs and noodling, and really challenging, heavy and atmospheric. The two later albums are groovier and more straightforward (the main influence shifted from art rock to psychedelia), but still very good.

20. HumanMachinery

Yep. For what it's worth, Dream Theater credit Psychotic Waltz, Watchtower, and Fates Warning with giving them some of their earliest support and first big breaks.

In fact, I think Petrucci said something to the effect of "people who credit us with inventing prog metal need to learn their history. There were bands already doing this sort of stuff in the mid '80s."

Then again, I think the first few Dream Theater albums are pretty awesome. IMO, they didn't degenerate into aimless and tasteless wanking until the second half of Scenes.

21. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Saw Anthrax and Exodus last night at Cleveland HOB. Exodus was pretty good, but I'm not a big fan of their singer. Anthrax was really great. I missed my opportunities to see them in the late 1980s, but over the last couple of years I've seen them 3x. All were excellent shows but I thought last night was the best I've seen them. Setlist -- including all of Among the Living -- was great. Thought it was cool that they broke it up a little bit rather than just playing it straight thru.

Met Tom Hunting (drummer/founding member of Exodus after the show. Talked a little about Bonded by Blood and their tour with MOD in late 1980s. (My second concert.) Really nice guy.

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for the report, it's great to hear they're in good form. I'm gonna see them in a couple of months and I'm pretty excited about it.

23. DDTM

Very cool. What did Tom say about Bonded by Blood? That's a legendary album.

24. HumanMachinery

Tom Hunting is an amazing drummer. It's a shame that I only like two things He has played on: Bonded by Blood, and the original demos for Pleasures of the Flesh.

Well... I also like a handful of Zetro era songs, but the quality-to-crap ratio is pretty sad.

25. powelb

powelb Forum Resident

I know this is an old post, but can't believe you left out I Hear Black and WFO! Those two with Horrorscope are an incredible trio of albums, all consistently great. The earlier ones have some fantastic songs but are patchier. IMO of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.