Three Dog Night Albums Getting SHM Treatment 4/24/13 By Universal Japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenpwood, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive! Thread Starter

The Three Dog Night catalog is getting the SHM-CD treatment by Universal Japan. The entire ABC catalog is being released on April 24th. This means Coming Down Your Way and American Pastime albums will finally make their CD debut! They are also doing the live albums. I assume since this is in the Carboard Mini LP packaging there will probably be a box of all this like they did last year with the Diana Ross/Supremes albums but haven't found a listing yet. Just thought I'd put this out there in case anyone needs to fill their gaps in their 3DN collection...

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Deserves a thread of it's own, thank you ! :thumbsup: Maybe because I'm an old fart, but Dunhill had one helluva stable !

3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

They deserve a proper reissue campaign. I don't know why I lost internees in this band for years. Just recently I have been reaming out some of the old albums and listening to them again. The work holds up well.

I remember these guys Steppenwolf and The Mamas and the Papas all being on Dunhill. The label is burned into my memory from playing their LPs.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  4. Glenpwood

I hear the reason we have been getting the missing never been issued CD's in these campaigns from Universal Japan is that the agreement with the US tends to be they have to issue all of them to get any of them out. Andy Skurow listed this as the reason Japan got to jump ahead of the Hip-O Select reissue program on the Ross albums this past Xmas.

Will be nice to get Coming Down Your Way out. My needledrop despite cleanup sounds mediocre. Never heard American Pastime. Any highlights on it?

5. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Captured Live at the Forum.............Please :pineapple:

6. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Please, Golden Biscuits!

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Tremaindous likes this.
  8. Tremaindous

rswitzer likes this.
  9. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

American Pastime is the worst album. It only has the three singers and the original keyboard player, all the other musicians are new guys. The best song is
    called Everybody's a Masterpiece, kind of Cory and Chuck singing together, I don't even know if Danny Hutton is on the album except for the one lead vocal
    he did which is horrible. there is another decent song by Cory called Yellow Beach Umbrella, Randy Newman sounding thing sort of. Oh and they did a cover
    of Easy Evil by Alan O"day, John Kay did a much better version the year before.

Coming Down Your Way, I know Chuck Negron has several unreleased songs from that album, he let me hear one of them it was good. Sounded more like
    Hard Labor than Coming Down your way, I just emailed him and asked him if they will be on the reissue, I hope so. Probably not. I think he wanted to remix
    that album. But I'm not sure.

They did one more reunion EP in I think 1982, but that was on a label called Passport I think. I think Ringo was on that label, maybe Burton Cummings
    I'm not sure. So I don't know if these people have the rights to that EP that was pretty good, interesting to hear them several years later, it only has five
    songs on it. That one is called "It's A Jungle" that probably won't be incuded in this deal. I think Chuck's solo albums were on Universal I'm not sure.
    They probably wont be included either. The first one was good and it has Floyd Sneed and Jimmy Greenspoon on it, and the original TDN producer.

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I wonder if these will be same masters as the 2002 releases?

11. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

It was called as you indicated It's A Jungle Out There. I thought it pretty good as well. My guess though it was going to have limited success as Chuck Negron was still a mess.[​IMG]

fifth beatle99 likes this.
  12. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

Cory Wells is the only member of Three Dog Night I never saw loaded. Chuck wasn't the only one with issues. And Why would the Jungle EP be any
    different than all the other smash hits they had when loaded? Chuck'' addiction probably had progressed somewhat by the early eighties, but I don't
    think that's the reason at least not directly. First I heard labels loved Jungle, they thought it sounded like Men at Work, and then when they found out
    it was Three Dog Night nobody wanted it. They were being dogged by the old "they didin't write their own songs' thing.

Now maybe some of these labels backed off because they had seen Chuck or some of the other Dogs around town partying. But the majority of people
    getting hit records in them days were high on something, so I don't see why that would matter. The small label that finally put it out didin't have much
    ability to push it, radio ignored it, and it was in the EP format which didin't help at all. They did do some live shows around the time the record came out
    but it was dead on radio, I think that's why it didin't sell. Most people don't even know it came out. They had everybody but the bass player involved, even
    the original producer and engineer. Too bad they couldn't have released a full album that might have helped.

Do these Universal Japan remasters generally have bonus tracks? I've only bought a couple of those over the years and didin't notice if they tend to
    add bonus tracks or not. Three Dog don't have many bonus tracks, they do have some for Coming Down Your Way though, at least three never
    before released studio tracks with vocals. The one I heard is cool.

13. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I also loved it when I heard it, especially because there was a certain adventurous, "we got nothing to lose here" attitude. The title track had a reggae feel to it which no one would say was very Three Dog Night-ish. As for bonus tracks or the lack thereof, I don't know this in any way shape or form, but they don't strike me as a band that has a lot sitting in the vault somewhere.

Sidenote-When my daughter was about 4 years old we took her to see Three Dog Night (Cory and Danny) at a local county fair. As her mother and I rocked out, bless her little soul, she was terribly puzzled. Now as an 18 year old, she recently asked me to get her a CD or two of their work. As they say, what goes around.........

14. What we really need for Three Dog Night is a compilation SACD of their singles from Audio Fidelity.

Sneaky Pete, Jarleboy and stevemoss like this.
  15. Glenpwood

These Mini LP releases from Universal Japan usually forego the bonus route. The only ones I have where they did give bonuses were the Olivia Newton John ones but that was because she and her management ere actively involved. We got three previously unreleased tunes and the rest was mostly the Japan only release Love Performance which was a live album from her 1976 tour chopped up onto the album the song came from.

16. Glenpwood

Thanks for the heads up on what to expect on American Pastime. I'll probably still pick It up since I have the rest. Hard for me to skip an album on an artist if I have the rest of them.

17. Tremaindous

I'd like to see an extended version of "Golden Biscuits", please.

18. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

Kind of excited about this. I was a huge fan at one point. I bought all [I think, maybe missing 1 or 2 ] CD's when they were issued.
    Is this only going to be available in Japan, or in the US only as an import ?

19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I wonder what the Seven Separate Fools disc will look like....

20. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

Which LP had the cover where they were nude ? was it this one ? it would be cool if it was at least included on the inside art.
    Or maybe in a way where you could fold the cover ...

21. Runt

Runt Senior Member

That was It Ain't Easy...I've got the original vinyl with the nude cover.

22. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

There is not many choices when it comes to Dunhill masters. The multis were destroyed either in the Universal fire or were purged (the mono masters were all purged, that's why album mixes are all you can get unless someone does needle drops).

23. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I'm mostly excited about "Around The World With Three Dog Night" since it has not been available except as an import twofor.

24. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That would be awesome.
    How strange I was hearing a Three Dog Night Song on the radio a couple weeks ago and was reminded how much I used to like this band.
    Golden Biscuits is killer, I need to delve into the vinyl and see how many I have from the old, old days.
    Their version of Eli's Coming is great.
    About the only cover they did that I didn't really like was Mama Told Me Not To Come.
    Newman's solo version is the best, imo.

I will be on these. thanks for the heads up. Really.

25. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I picked up these two first. The attention to detail on the packaging is stupendous, as usual. They sound VERY good, not "overly loud" well worth the price. (Sorry about the picture quality)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.