Three Dog Night question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Skip Reynolds, Jul 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind Thread Starter

Greetings All.

Where will I find the best sounding version (mono or stereo) of "Out In The Country" ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Stereo is all I know of on CD, which means either IT AIN'T EASY[MCA MCAD-31047] or the CELEBRATE collection[MCA MCAD2-10956]. The former has more hiss, which probably means it wasn't futzed with. But the latter is a good(if imperfect)overview of their work, and has many mono single versions/mixes(even if they're lifted from vinyl)that don't appear anywhere else, AFAIK.

ED:cool:

3. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

the one i like is THE BEST OF 3 DOG NIGHT mcad2-6018. Most of the versions on that 20 track cd are the best I've heard that material sound anywhere.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I don't really hear a lot of difference between any of them, except CELEBRATE was cleaned up a little more than the other two. The mono mix is only on the 45, another one to add to Grant's ever-expanding list and thread....

ED:cool:

5. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The version on the "It Ain't Easy" cd has some drop-out on it..listen to the nice crisp tambourine...it becomes muffled...this is not the case on "The Best of"..or on "Celebrate".

That drop-out is from 1:40-2:00..listen to the tambourine in the left channel..

I don't remember the times but I think "Your Song" on the It Ain't Easy CD also has some drop-out.

Hope this helps

JF

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Ed, would you say that "fidelity-wise", "Celebrate" is currently the best sounding Three Dog Night comp or is the 20 track best of the way to go?
    I remember an 80s MCA CD that sounded like audio doody and it kind of threw me off acquiring any Three Dog Night until I heard Steve's "Joy To The World" on the Suddenly 70's comp. By the way, while DJing an anniversary party last night, I played Steve's "Joy To The World" and was struck by how freakin' great he made that song sound. The tonal balance is just perfect. I squeezed in to the middle part of the dance floor just to listen (I don't usually do that since I nearly always get accosted to "Play YMCA"!):)

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

MONO TDN is the way to go.

8. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind Thread Starter

Thanks everybody!

9. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

As an addendum, Universal Internatonal in Japan (marketed by Victor Entertainment Inc) reissued five Three Dog night albums on CD using something called Rubidium Atomic Clock Mastering.

Regardless what they call the technology, etc., these are, in my opnion, the best sounding Three Dog Night reissue/remasters.

The product codes are:
    UICY-3370 One
    UICY-3371 Suitable For Framing
    UICY-3372 Captured Live At The Forum
    UICY-3373 It Ain't Easy
    UICY-3374 Naturally

I am open to 'debate' on this, but I do find them to be excellent.

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

FatherMckenzie, I don't know if you own the US MCA TDN cd's but all the defects(dropouts etc) that appear on the US discs are the same on these new Japanese discs. It seems to me they took the mastering used for the US discs and boosted the levels and the high end and what do ya know, another remastered mess. I thought, on first listen that "Naturally" sounded really good...but after going back to the US disc I noticed they just boosted the bass and high end and the levels overall..I'll stick with my US discs...esp for the price they are getting for these Japanese pressings. I was really dissapointed that the same dropouts on "It Ain't Easy" were in the same place on the new issues. The same dropouts are also on "Captured Live At The Forum"...Just a lot of remastered tinkering as always....

When I heard about these new issues I was pretty excited..but I was really bummed that they did not use new tapes(possibly Japanese masters) to master these discs.

I would love to hear other feedback about this also....why did they do this....the Japanese did'nt have their own master tapes to use for these new issues????

JF

11. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

At this point, I have listened to the discs several times and I don't have the problem(s) with them as you have.

I am not expecting miracles. I believe more work was done than playing with highs, lows and levels. I don't hear the 'defects' as being so annoying to not buy TDN discs, especially the Japanese ones.

I don't know what kind of masters are around and what state they are in.

I suspect the 'defects' that we all know and hate are going to be present for time eternity unless someone knows of better material out there.

Regardless, the Japanese discs do sound better for whatever reason. I'm glad to have them and have gotten rid of my US discs.

Money is not as much of a concern to me, not to belittle anyone's budget. I did say 'not as much of a', not 'not any') Everyone makes judgment calls, based on their own personal factors, on that basis. But, yes, these discs are pricey, possibly cheaper at a web site that I can't remember but has Japan in its name.

I have a lot of Japanese mini-discs that are considered pricey, so I don't know how the issue can be included as a factor in a discussion. I would hope we all makes good choices, and, I hope eveyone can afford the top end of their chosen entertainment (knowing that even the top end is subjective and debatable, as it is here).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.