Three Dog Night...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Highway Star, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member Thread Starter

I'm not a TDN fan by any means but do like a few of their songs. The only music I have of them is the MCA CD of their 1971 album Naturally, which isn't half bad. Actually, it sounds pretty good quality-wise too. There isn't any info that I could find as to when this CD was issued, or who did the remastering etc. I would like to find their 1st album (with the hit 'One') and was wondering if it sounds ok, if anyone here has heard it. And also, what is considered to be their best album?

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Three Dog Night was the first band that I saw live. I've always loved their music. I can't comment on their first album on CD because I haven't heard it. I will say that most the early MCA CDs from the 80's sound consistently good. One to stay away from IMO is 'Joy To The World - Their Greatest Hits' MCA 1466. It's too muddy for me. Could have used a little more high end.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, that CD isn't worth hunting. I have the "Best Of Three Dog Night" on MCA. It's good, but could have been better.

Steve mastered some Three Dog Night in his career. Steve, any rec's from the insight of the mind that was inside MCA?

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The fact that this has more songs than "Joy To The World" is what drew me to this CD later on as I wanted Best of but didn't have the money so I settled with Joy To The World but now I replaced Joy To The World with The Best of Three Dog Night.

5. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

3D NIGHT

Howsabout a stereo mix of "Shambala" for cryin' out lowd...

Is anybody else kinda hopin' that that will happen some day?

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Same here. At the time, those two Cds were what was available in the US. The "Best Of" was a better track lineup.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I maintain that the best way to get the TDN hits and assorted LP tracks and B-sides is the "Celebrate: The Three Dog
    Night Story". It contains the single mixes of several hits including "Joy To The World", An Old Fashioned Love Song", and "Liar". At least "Shambala" is in true mono instead of that horrible rechanneled version. There is no stereo mix due to the way it was released. I guess no one ever got around to it. Oh well, it's the song that matters.

Overall, the stereo TDN tapes are mellow-sounding.

8. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

All,

I second Grant's post. The best sounding Three Dog Night CD out there is definitely Celebrate: The Three Dog Night Story. Essentially, the best sounding and approved by the band members versions were chosen for set the whether they be Stereo or Mono. I will note that Three Dog Night songs that were mastered by Steve sound wonderful but they are not located on one disc.

It is obvious that the band preferred the Mono single mixes in many cases. Considering they were a big AM Top 40 vehicle, this makes sense and verifys that a lot of sweat equity often went into those single mixes to make them sound just right for AM Radio airplay.

Bob :)

Myke likes this.
  9. Grant

Yeah, the stereo versions of songs like "Joy To The World" and "An Old Fasioned Love Song" sound like they are just not finished. They are missing the overdubs that made the single versions great.

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

And, they simply do not have the right "impact". I am under the impression that a lot work went into those Three Dog Night Mono single mixes because they were such a staple of early 70's AM Radio....one Top 40 hit after another. The stereo version of Joy To The World is truly off the mark as compared to the Mono single mix. I also like the Mono single mix of Try A Little Tenderness.

Bob

11. Grant

I can't even listen to the stereo versions of "Joy To THe World" and "An Old Fashioned Love Song". Thank God for Bill Inglot bringing the mono mixes back from the dead!

12. Bob Lovely

Grant,

On this CD Inglot gets very high marks...and that is "on the record"!

13. Grant

I'm also glad oldies radio, even though I don't listen to it, is also starting to play the correct mixes of their songs. I couldn't care any less if something is stereo or mono!:D

14. Bob Lovely

Grant,

The Oldies station in this market plays the Stereo mix over the Mono mix even if the Mono is the best version or the "correct" single mix. It is frustrating and the public probably does not even notice. They carry Dick Bartley's syndicated program on Saturday evenings and I notice that he is more likely to play the correct single versions but, not always. He plays all the Motown hits in Stereo v. Mono, for instance.

Bob

15. Grant

I think that non-musical people (your average consumer) doesn't know the difference because all they comprehend is the hook. People hear the hook and maybe the lyrics and they are happy. Many don't hear the whole picture, like we do.

Bartley? Methinks he cares more about stereo for stereo's sake than getting it right. You wouldn't know that from the Varese Vintage CDs that bear his name but then he is not the producer of those CDs, either.

Just my observation...

16. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I think Dick is one of those people who likes Stereo but who likes to edit Stereo mixes to mirror the length of the original Mono single mixes. He also has a habit on his show of truncating songs before they end to mix up the next selection. I find that very annoying. He is a nice guy though. Let me tell you a story.

When Varese Sarabande first came out with the Collector's Essentials series, I wrote a letter to Dick and he actually called me to thank me for my letter and suggestions for future releases. We talked for about 20 minutes. That was a very "class" thing to do. There is no question that he loves music from the Golden Age of Top 40 Radio.

Bob

17. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member Thread Starter

The song Liar works very well in stereo to me. In fact, that song was the reason I purchased Naturally in the first place. BTW, wasn't Liar recorded by someone else originally, Argent?

18. Grant

A lot of people think these guys are all a**holes who don't care about the music or their customer. It's not true. They do care. To be fair, these guys are pressured from all sides. They have the corporate BS from one end, or demands from special interest music types (stereo lovers), the average consumer or listener, and what they want. My guess is that they usually go with whatever the most VOCAL majority wants. I guess they figure they are playing it safe that way.

It would really be nice if some of these industry guys would chime in, annonymously, or not, and explain what goes on in the decision-making! We hear Steve's philosophy, now I want other industry people's views.

19. Grant

But I like the effects in the mono mix of "Liar". The single mix just sounds like a tighter, more coherent track to me. I also hate added reverb on the stereo mix.

20. Bob Lovely

Grant,

In my opinion, there is a lot of "management by fear and intimidation" in the music and record business. Perhaps, more so than some sectors of business. It is truly astonishing how many record labels are not listening to their most knowledgeable and appreciative customers. Ironic really. This open Forum is a real rarity in the business and it should be cherished. My guess is there that are frequent visitors to this Forum from "the business" who, for job security reasons, must remain incognito or simply observe from afar. That is just sad!

Bob

21. Bob Lovely

Grant,

The Mono mix is the definitive version. A lot of re-work was completed on the Mono mix over the original album cut (the song became a single because of heavy album cut airplay) to make it sound just so for AM Radio. The mix is different and there are a number of edits.

Bob

22. Grant

Yeah, I know. I guess people like the LP version because it's what they are used to hearing.

23. Bob Lovely

Grant,

When I have time I am going to publish a list of preferable "single versions" and some listening notes as to why on a new thread.....over the weekend.

24. Grant

It will be interesting to see your views and chioces.

25. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I have the first 4 Three Dog Night releases on CD released in the late 80's. They all sound good, especially Suitable for Framing. I too though enjoy the single mixes on the Celebrate compilation. I saw them live on an oldies tour about 5 years ago, they sure need Chck Negron back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.