Three Stooges butchered on AMC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

Very rarely will I watch the Three Stooges on TV anymore, except during the New Year's Eve marathon on TV 38 in Boston.
    The pristine DVD restorations by Sony are just terrific and watching them anywhere else is just a step back.
    I enjoyed the Christine McIntyre story and it reminded me how talented the Stooges' regulars were.
    BTW...I believe Moe's son and daughter are still alive in addition to Curly's daughter.

2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Bill, who located Christine and many other Stooge actors, is a very close personal friend. Not just the Stooges but other actors Bill has helped locate over the years.

Someone mentioned Vernon Dent. There is biography on him published a couple of years ago. Well worth a read, very interesting (and his widow plays an active role in the book with pictures, interviews, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/15939...ernon+dent&dpPl=1&dpID=517ZOHrISoL&ref=plSrch

3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

That's awesome thanks for sharing! I have always wondered about Vernon and haven't been able to find anything, I will be picking this up.

Here's a phone call someone placed to Emil Sitka in 1997. Sounds rather amature like they guy doesn't really know what he's doing but it is neat to hear.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  4. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Love, love, love the Stooges.

Upsiditus likes this.
  5. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I used to get holiday cards from Emil for several years from the early 90s through his death. This was post stroke for Emil but still interesting to hear.

The Vernon Dent book is a fantastic read. I think you will be surprised to learn what an extended career he had!

MikaelaArsenault, Tanx and MikeInFla like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

$22, actually. You called it.

7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

AMC could've done worse things to the Stooges...

[​IMG]

D.D.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

problem solved: buy the Three Stooges box set on amazon for $22.99!

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

So, is the Sony "Ultimate Collection" set from 2012 (a.k.a. the "black box") the best one to get everything in one place?
    I know there was another large Sony box set called the "Complete Collection" from 2010, which looks like it has a lot of the same content... does the 2012 set have more?

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

There are a few stray movies and the Ted Healy shorts from MGM, but all the core Stooges shorts are included. The last bonus set is movies and shorts featuring Joe Besser Joe Derita and Shemp. The odd films are available but not everyone needs everything. This is more than enough for a Stooge head.
    Oh, if you can find an older set it includes 3D versions of 2 shorts. These are eliminated in later issues.
    Three Stooges Collection DVDs »

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The eight volumes were first released separately. It's volume 7 IINM which has the two 3-D shorts (orange cover). The description on the back of the box was changed when they removed the 3-D versions. Both have been re-released again as extras on something else (what the "something else" is escapes me at the moment), apparently remastered and in better shape than on the Stooge DVDs. I don't know if there is a way to tell if the "big black box" has the 3-D shorts or not.

They also just re-released the 190 shorts (only) as the "complete Columbia shorts." IIRC this box is more expensive than the "Ultimate Collection" which has the 190 plus all the extras.

Here is what's on the bonus DVDs in the Ultimate Collection -- under "Rare Treasures"

DVD 1
    Rockin' In The Rockies (1945 starring Stooge feature with Curly)
    Have Rocket Will Travel (1959 starrng Stooge feature with Curly-Joe)
    Bon Bon Parade (1935 cartoon with Stooge caricatures)
    Merry Mutineers (1936 cartoon with Stooge caricatures)
    A Hollywood Detour (1942 cartoon with Stooge caricatures)

DVD 2
    Home On The Rage (Andy Clyde short featuring Shemp)
    Glove Slingers (Glove Slingers short featuring Shemp)
    Money Squawks (Andy Clyde short featuring Shemp)
    Boobs In The Woods (Andy Clyde short featuring Shemp)
    Pleased To Mitt You (Glove Slingers short featuring Shemp)
    Pick A Peck Of Plumbers (El Brendel & Shemp Howard short)
    Open Season For Saps (Shemp Howard short)
    Off Again, On Again (Shemp Howard short)
    Where The Pest Begins (Shemp Howard short featuring Tom Kennedy)
    A Hit With A Miss (Shemp Howard short, remake of Punch Drunks)
    Mr. Noisy (Shemp Howard short)
    Jiggers, My Wife (Shemp Howard & Tom Kennedy short)
    Society Mugs (Shemp Howard & Tom Kennedy short, remake of Termites Of 1938)
    Bride And Gloom (Shemp Howard short)

DVD 3

(Joe Besser shorts)
    Waiting In The Lurch
    Dizzy Yardbird
    Fraidy Cat (remake of Dizzy Detectives)
    Aim, Fire, Scoot
    Caught On The Bounce
    Spies And Guys
    The Fire Chaser (remake of Waiting In The Lurch)
    G.I. Dood It (remake of Dizzy Yardbird)
    Hook A Crook (remake of Fraidy Cat)
    Army Daze (remake of Aim, Fire, Scoot)

(Joe De Rita shorts)
    Slappily Married
    The Good Bad Egg
    Wedlock Deadlock
    Jitter Bughouse

12. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

The two 3D shorts have been included as an extra on the new Twilight Time Blu-ray of the Vincent Price film, THE MAD MAGICIAN.

Both the Price film, and the Stooges shorts, can be viewed in either 2D or 3D. The quality is stunning!

I believe Twilight Time releases are only available here

THE MAD MAGICIAN 3D / 2D (1954) -- SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT »

or here

Mad Magician, The (3D Blu-ray) »

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Does the "Ultimate Collection" include any of the cartoons? I remember this one from when I was a kid:

altaeria likes this.
  14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Nope, no cartoons on the box set that I have. Only the shorts and the Shemp & Besser bonus stuff listed above. Still have not finished watching it all, we need to get it out again and finish it up. These are great after a long work day because my wife and I get tired before 9 PM and these 20 minute shorts are great and we don't fall asleep like we do during a 2 our movie.

15. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Short answer:

No, they are not included. However, they have been released in a complete set:

Amazon.com: The New Three Stooges: Complete Cartoon Collection: Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Joe DeRita, None: Movies & TV »

Long answer:

But there's some "caveat emptor" stuff here. These cartoons were first "officially" released by Embassy Home Video in a series of VHS/Beta tapes. They did seven volumes of four cartoons each, in chronological order. Then they stopped those and released an additional 14 one-hour tapes grouped by "theme." (Cartoons with bears in them, cartoons about the Stooges at work, cartoons about superheroes, etc.) There were 156 cartoons in the series, and 155 of them were included on these tapes. They were pretty good for the time -- however, each cartoon originally had its own opening and closing titles, which had different versions with variations (different sound effects, different info in the credits, and in a very few cases, some slightly different animation -- sometimes the distributor is "Heritage Productions" and sometimes it's "TV III"). On the tapes, there was only one opening at the beginning and one closing at the end, which made for less tedious viewing.

Years later, Rhino released two DVDs which were mostly chronological (with a few exceptions).

Amazon.com: The Three Stooges - Cartoon Classics, Vol. 1: Three Stooges: Movies & TV »
    Amazon.com: The Three Stooges: Cartoon Classics, Vol. 2: Artist Not Provided: Movies & TV »

These were very nicely done, well-mastered and clean. Each cartoon has its own original opening and closing, although the distributor name is spliced out of the closing credits. Between them they included 32 of the cartoons. Meanwhile, a lot of the cartoons showed up in numerous public domain collections, mostly from old 16mm TV prints or dupes of same (or dupes of dupes of...). Then a company called Madacy released a public domain Three Stooges set called The Three Stooges Collector's Edition

Amazon.com: The Three Stooges: Collector's Edition: Curly Joe deRita, Moe Howard, Larry Fine, None: Movies & TV »

with some of the "usual suspect" public domain films, but also containing one disc of the New 3 Stooges cartoons. Much to my surprise, these were not the usual PD stuff, but nice masters like the ones on the two Rhino DVDs, picking up where those left off (this must have been authorized by Comedy III). The Three Stooges Collector's Edition includes cartoons #33, 34, 35, 37, 38, #40 through#43, and #45 through #48. The Rhino sets include cartoons #1-32 (except for #12 and #21, which are replaced with #144 and #153).

A complete list of the cartoons can be found here:
    ThreeStooges.net :: THE NEW 3 STOOGES »

Which brings us to the "complete collection" mentioned above. It's very nice to have them all in one place, but this was not done with the same care as the Rhino DVDs. Basically what they did here was take the masters of the Embassy VHS/Beta tapes, slap them onto DVDs in a random order, add the one missing cartoon (#150) and then cut in one version of the opening titles and closing credits, repeating it on every cartoon -- so it's the same intro/outro with no variations. A minor footnote of a detail, but still not historically accurate. Speaking of variations, they did 156 cartoons, but only 41 live-action intros and outros, which were recycled throughout the series. But even though they might repeat one of these intros/outros on another cartoon, the next time you see it, it might have different music and sound effects on it. (This is how they were originally shown; I'm not talking about "rights issues" type changes.) I just learned this not long ago. I thought that was interesting.

16. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

In all the years the Stooges made films, they never once got a raise. After the shorts division was shut down, Moe wasn't even allowed onto the studio lot. There was a semi-biographical film made, but it wasn't very factual, they got a lot of things wrong. Larry was an actual violin player. He started playing the violin as a youth to strengthen his arm, which got badly burned. I've always been a Stooges fan since I was a kid, and they showed the Stooges on channel 11 before school. But what made the Stooges the Stooges was the sound effects. If you watch them with the sound turned off, they don't work at all.

17. When I saw the thread title, I thought "did they make a horror film I don't know about?"

18. JBStephens

They obviously got them confused with KISS.

19. I remember reading (not sure where) that Moe made most of his money by making savvy real estate investments.

20. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I've heard that..apparently Moe didn't make tremendous amount of money but he was good handling what he got. Curly and Larry tended to spend it. There was a lawsuit a few years ago where Larry and Curly's heirs sued Moe's heirs to get more merchandise made so they collect...their lawyer was Bela Lugosi Jr!!!

I remember Moe appearing on The Officer Joe Bolton Show (which presentedThree Stooges shorts, Dick Tracy cartoons) and Moe commented he raised buffalo to sell for meat

21. JBStephens

WOW, memory jog! Totally forgot about Officer Joe. What did "six two and even" mean, anyway?

22. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

It amazes me what they did to They Stooge to Conga. It's like the old 50ft 8mm films from the 60s-70s.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  23. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Have you seen the home movie of the wrap party for The Outlaws Is Coming? A film based on saving the buffalo and what does Moe do? He has a buffalo roast!!! I would have loved to have met those guys ... my three year old daughter is getting into them and knows the difference between Curly and Shemp.

24. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Humphrey Bogart says that to the gunsel played by Elisha Cook Jr in "The Maltese Falcon" ..."six two and even they are selling you out"when Greenstreet and Lorre are talking to each other...Apparently it's an old phrase from betting on horse races circa 1905. 6(to 1) to win, 2(to 1) to place, even for show...what the average horse is expected to pay

MikaelaArsenault and Gumboo like this.
  25. JBStephens

THANK YOU! Should have known that, as my grandfather was hugely into horse racing. He made a tidy bundle at it, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.