Three Stooges Collection DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

I'd be willing to bet that Sony eliminated the 3-D versions because they were "anaglyph" and Sony, the TV manufacturer has now moved on to real 3-D television manufacturing. When that original set came out, no one had given any thought to real 3-D televisions yet, so the red/blue thing was all they had. Thus, by eliminating it from the DVDs, they avoided the confusion of people with 3-D sets trying to figure out how to make the 3-D Stooge shorts work on their 3-D TV.

Harry

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great point! nothing missing in my book...that form of 3D gives me a headache!

3. Michael

my open complete box has a 2012 date on the back of the box...inside Vol7 has a 2009 date with the 3d glasses, but no sticker....on the sealed BB complete box it has the same 2012 date...so I must have the same Vol 7 inside as well...Interesting.

4. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Not necessarily. I checked the bottom of my box and it too has a 2012 date. Even though the Volume 7 inside has a 2013 date. So my presumption is they still were assembling these sets throughout 2013 using the boxes they printed up with 2012, but somewhere along the way Volume 7 was changed and that was being put in the box in later runs. So one could get either in the box. Crap shoot.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

that figures...I'm keeping my second box sealed..bought it for gift giving anyway. I already have the Vol 7 3D edition twice...no need to find out If I have it thrice!:laugh:

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

7. Michael

that's what I have on my original Vol 7...not on Vol 7 in box set, but i do have the glasses and 2D 3D listing on back? weird.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Maybe that's why the blowout on the boxed sets....The 3D isn't compatible with
    modern technology.

Evan

9. Michael

10. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Not really....the boxed set can contain the volume with or without the 3d versions, so I can't imagine that being a reason. And the 3d will work on any tv as long as you wear the supplied glasses. A 3d tv is not required.

11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

One thing I noticed with the 3d was that when I first bought the set we still had our old TV and DVD player, and the 3d was not all that great. Since that time we have had to upgrade to a new flatscreen and blu player. I'm not sure if it was the combination HD TV and upconversion of the DVD or what, but the last time I watched "Spooks!" and "Pardon My Backfire" the 3d was so much more improved. Still not 100% perfect, but a lot better than the first time I watched it.

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Perhaps they got rid of the (so-called) 3D because IT DIDN'T WORK!

The green and red colors on the screen don't match the green and red colors on the glasses.

Look through the red lens and you see two images on the screen.

Look through the green lens and you see two images on the screen.

The red lens is supposed to make the red image on the screen invisible (and the green lens the green image) if the process is to work at all. (Yeah, you might be able to mess with the red and green levels on your set, but good luck with getting them both to match the colors on the glasses.)

So, it's no big loss they removed the 3D. It didn't work properly in the first place.

13. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

True, it didn't work too well. They didn't do a good job with the method they used on these discs. Takes some getting use to focusing the eyes and it will work, but not the greatest result. However, that's not a reason they would have changed the volumes. I saw these in a theater with glasses and the 3d effect worked great. And yes, the loss is no big deal. But I'm glad I have them.

14. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Thrice?!

15. Michael

yes, thrice never heard of this? here, saved you the trouble of looking it up...

thrice (thrīs)
    adv.

1. Three times.
    2. In a threefold quantity or degree.
    3. Archaic Extremely; greatly.

16. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

It was a joke. Watch the video? ;)

17. Michael

I will watch the video... the question mark was not a giveaway.:)

18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

My set was ordered from Amazon when they had the big sale and it contains the 3D glasses.

The 3D on these episodes is terrible, though.

19. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Anaglyph (red/blue or red/green) is the worst type of 3D, but the easiest to apply for home viewing.

I saw these in actual polarized 3D in the theater a decade ago, and it looked great.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

21. Michael

SUCKS! IMO, they removed this from the set due to the lack of quality and with 3-D moving forward it's an embarrassment for the studio and a waste of cardboard and plastic.

Benno123 likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Why i oughta ... !

23. Michael

be glad you've been spared the bad 3-D.;)

24. Michael

It makes me feel cross-eyed!

25. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

It's even worse when applied to color content, as the color in the image also contains the colors on the glasses, making everything even more wonky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.