Three Stooges Collection DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 - $19.99 ea. @ Amazon - 2008
    Vol. 3 - $16.99 - 2008
    Vol. 4 - $21.99 - 2008
    Vol. 5 - $15.99 - 2009

$95.00 invested in a 56 year lifetime favorite !!!!!!

2. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

[​IMG]

Mark Nelson likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it a MOD...not interested.

Jimi Bat likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

But it's got Hello Pop!. No collection is complete.

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

don't do MOD...thanks for the concern.

8. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Don't get hung up on that. The quality is still there. Fully restored and all. Your loss.

jeatleboe likes this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I don't love MOD, but I have gotten several DVDs like that when The Warner Archives offered no alternative. Sometimes first-run copies are officially "pressed", just like "real" DVDs; I bought the four multi-disc volumes of Warner's BOWERY BOYS COLLECTION, and they're all normal, official DVDs.

jupiter8 likes this.
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

So its a crapshoot at this point. I'll let you know if its a DVD-R. I expect that the Shemp set will be. I have two DVD-R archive issues and my only complaints are the lack of logical chapter marks. I have Carbine Williams with Jimmy Stewart and Penn And Teller Get Killed, and they look fine.

11. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

MODS are just a stopgap until the death of physical media-I have no problem with them, and it beats VHS or a grey market bootleg of a 4th generation dub. And like was posted above, a lot of Warner Archive stuff initially comes out on manufactured DVDS.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I am hopeful because the Howard/Fine/Howard shipped almost immediately, while the Shemp set hasn't. Perhaps they had those on the shelf already as pressed discs. We shall see.:cool:

13. Michael

yes hit and miss...

14. Michael

yes, Thanks... I do not support MOD...

15. Michael

and the high prices for 25 cent DVDR...pox on it!

16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

If a MOD disc looks and sounds great, and if it never goes dead and lasts... what's the problem, really?

Mark Nelson likes this.
  17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I would rather have seen this released as a "real" DVD too, but given that Hello Pop had been written off as a lost film until being recovered last year, this is an essential disc no matter the format. Just for the record, there is one other M-G-M short still among the missing: Jailbirds Of Paradise, which features Moe and Curly without Larry. Missing as in, still considered lost.

These shorts are not quite like the classic Columbia shorts that followed. Ted Healy is the star (interesting how he isn't mentioned on the cover, given that these are his shorts) and the Stooges are still evolving. Plane Nuts is my favorite of the M-G-M Healy/Stooge shorts, as it preserves an example of their stage act of the era on film. Beer And Pretzels seems to be the one which most closely resembles the style of the "real" Three Stooges shorts. Roast-Beef And Movies has Curly teamed with two other comics rather than Moe and Larry: ethnic comedian George Givot ("How do you like that?") and Bobby Callahan, who played the telegram guy in the Stooges' Men In Black and also in Laurel & Hardy's Helpmates. I'd be interested to know how that odd teaming came about, splitting the Stooges up, and why they didn't just have the team of Howard, Fine and Howard do that one (Ted Healy isn't in it either). Of course, at the time these guys were not "The Three Stooges" yet, but it still seems kind of strange.

18. Gotta ask...what's a MOD?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Made On Demand. A DVD-R

20. Thanks!

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I always run a duplicate and save it to my hard drive if I buy a DVD-R.

RockWizard and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

nothing obviously for you, But I have a problem with them. really I do my friend.

23. Michael

guess that's the best bet...as they do fail. I have a friend who had a nightmare with Warner Archives...

24. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

If they apply a stick-on label to the dvd-r, the adhesive will erode through the disc and ruin the playing side of the disc. It will take a few years but it will happen.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

These are not on the Rare Treasures collection ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.