Three Stooges Collection DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Enjoying the Shemp set very much as I slowly make my way through the 20 or so shorts. Shemp was simply a hilarious guy, naturally funny with the noises and slapstick. For example, watch his pitching in the baseball short!

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love it! what's this from?

4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'm poised to open up my box set and start watching this with my 4.5 year old grandson this Sunday. He will soon know The Stooges.

Mark Nelson, JamieC and Myke like this.
  5. Michael

and just like many of us he will love them!

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Wee Wee Monsieur (1938).

7. Michael

Thanks Jamie...must watch this!

8. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Anyone join the Three Stooges Fan Club?

http://www.stoogeum.com/id3.html

They come with VERY interesting Journals with Biographies of supporting players, scripts for deleted scenes, rare photos and info on live appearances, trivia, etc.

Three Stooges Journal Back Issues

The best part was it was sanctioned by Moe and Larry themselves! The club has been around for that long!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  9. Michael

no, but thanks for the info!...been a long time since I was a member of any fan club.

The Spaceman likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

1600 members worldwide ? :laugh: Funny...from 1959-present, I never once thought about a fan club for them. I do find watching a few of their shorts between other activities still pretty amusing, which, as I said upthread, wouldn't surprise my dear, departed mother one bit.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have been a member of the Three Stooges Fan Club since 1989, since I was 10 years old. Gary Lassin, the president of the club, does a FANTASTIC job with very in-depth articles about films, supporting players, vaudeville tours, collectibles, and on and on. I have joined fan clubs for other people but this is the only one that I have kept the membership for because The Journals are just so well done!

The Spaceman and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

geez, I'm leaning towards joining! I loved being a member of a fan club...I was in the Hank Williams Fan Club for years! still have all my back issues of their newsletter.

13. The Spaceman

Look at the link I posted about back issues. It will show you the table of contents for each issue. It will have you drooling with the content they have!

14. Michael

Thanks I will...I wonder how much they charge for the back issues if one becomes a member?

15. The Spaceman

I don't know about members' prices but the regular back issue prices according to the site is $3 an issue.

16. Michael

OK, thanks...If I join I'll ask.

17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Speaking of ... The Winter 2014 edition of The Journal was in my mailbox today. Example of articles in this issue (which I have browsed but not read yet) include a story about supporting player Edward Coch Jr., supporting players biographies, review of the recently released DVD of the MGM shorts, background on how Shemp Howard came to play Knobby Walsh in the Joe Palooka shorts, and a big story about the Stooges on Tour in 1942 (with 2 pages of photos which I don't believe have ever been published anywhere else before).

Trust me when I say if you love the Stooges as much as I do you will not be disappointed. It's $9 for a year, you will receive 4 high quality newsletters ... And if you find you enjoy it you can sign up for more years at a discounted price. If not then you're out just $9 ... But I have read your posts and I think you would really enjoy reading the Journal!

The Spaceman likes this.
  18. Michael

If you are replying to me? I'm pretty much convinced to join...

Benno123 likes this.
  19. Moonbeam Skies

Did Curly ever give any interviews that have been published?

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

I couldn't find any, but supposedly there are some.

21. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

In case anyone's interested: The Three Stooges Fan Club was founded in 1974 by Ralph Schiller. He published the first eight issues of the Three Stooges Journal, which went on hiatus in 1978. The club was taken over in 1980 by Morris "Moe" Feinberg, Larry Fine's brother, until he passed away in 1986. Then it was taken over by Gary Lassin, who is married to Moe Feinberg's granddaughter. When Moe Feinberg did the Journal he typed the issues on his own typewriter. Today's Journal is much slicker, more professional and has more interesting content, but those 1980s issues had a lot of charm, coming right out of Larry's brother's typewriter.

Benno123 likes this.
  22. rushed again

Only into this about 10 episodes and enjoy it big time (great clarity) but finding the audio on the low side. Anyone else have to crank the volume up 2x's normal for the level to be close to normal?

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Which are we talking about?

24. rushed again

On the first dvd, the 1934-1936 episodes. I'm in about 10 shorts of 19 on this dvd and they are at low volume...so far.

25. Moonbeam Skies

Just finished watching this set of early Stooge shorts. It's definitely worth having if you are a big Stooge fan. I enjoy watching Ted Healy, his style of humor and his delivery and singing, it's a fascinating look at the humor popular in the late 20s/early 30s, and it is evident that it had a lasting influence on the Stooges over the next few decades. I like Curly's physical humor in this era, his reactions to getting hit are hilarious. He can make me laugh without even making a sound, just by giving that indignant, incredulous look whenever Ted or Moe would slap him or bonk him on the head. But on the other hand, every one of these shorts seems to recycle song and dance scenes from other films of the era. These are not like the Stooge shorts we all know and love from 1934 to 1959. Also, I don't believe every early short is on this set. I have a 4-DVD set of Stooge DVDs featuring excerpts from several early shorts including at least one that's not on this set, and it was a good one, maybe better than anything on this set.

JamieC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.