Tidal Audio Launches Lossless Streaming...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

EDIT: It just occurred to me that option may be the new thing the article is talking about. Anyone who has been using this for a while know if the $9.99 option is new?

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

A few co-workers already told me about it. I'm surprised it's spreading so quickly.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Sort of like the Peanut Butter Conspiracy.

And we know how that took off.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. benjammin

benjammin Well-Known Member

If it's really only $10/month for cd quality I'm signing up tonight.

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I was working out at the gym this morning and it was being discussed on The Today Show.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

WOW! i've been waiting for a FLAC hifi streaming service, so glad this is finally here! just signed up and will be trying this for a few weeks to see how i like the sound quality and functionality compared to spotify.

benjammin likes this.
  7. benjammin

If Tidal successfully establishes 1411 kbps as an acceptable rate for the consumer and the Internet providers, MQA encoding could soon make high resolution streaming a reality.

8. benjammin

It needs to figure out how to integrate WASAPI soon though, or that would be a shame

9. benjammin

Still $20 :(

10. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Neil Young: Poh No!

guidedbyvoices and dino77 like this.
  11. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have a Spotify Premium account that I use to stream music in my car, when I am walking the dog, at work and also on my home system. I would like to use Tidal for the better quality, but one thing I do like about Spotify is, when I am using it at home (in my listening area) I can use the Spotify app to control my laptop that is running Spotify into my DAC. It's a pretty cool feature that they recently added to the app and it comes in handy when I have some friends over for some drinks and music.

wbhendrix likes this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

50% more expensive in the UK (£19.99). That price differential is hardly something I'd want to encourage with my custom.

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

They posted some videos on Facebook and the videos are receiving nothing but scorn and ridicule from the commenters.

14. junk

junk Hellion

:agree: It is.

15. JohnnyQuest

Check out some excerpts from Jay's #NewRules below.

On restoring "fair trade" in music:
    Definitely. For someone like me, I can go on tour. But what about the people working on the record, the content creators and not just the artists? If they’re not being compensated properly, then I think we’ll lose some writers and producers and people like that who depend on fair trade. Some would probably have to take another job, and I think we’ll lose some great writers in the process. Is it fair? No. If you put in work, everyone else, you go to work you get paid. That’s fair trade. It’s what our country is built on.

On what he wants out of TIDAL:

Artists come here and start making songs 18 minutes long, or whatever. I know this is going to sound crazy, but maybe they start attempting to make a “Like a Rolling Stone,” you know, a song that doesn't have a recognizable hook, but is still considered one of the greatest songs of all time, the freedom that this platform will allow art to flourish here. And we’re encouraging people to put it in any format they like. It doesn't have to be three minutes and 30 seconds. What if it’s a minute and 17, what if it’s 11; you know, just break format. What if it’s just four minutes of just music and then you start rapping?

On whether it will offer exclusives from artists:

Well, it’s up to the artist. You know, there’s a thing now, it’s called the album cycle. You put your single out, promote it, then another single -- I think that now for an artist an album cycle doesn’t have to end. They’re on Instagram and Twitter and all these things, so we’re just talking about ways of extending that album cycle, and it could be anything. What if it’s a video offering tickets to the next concert, or what if it’s audio or video of the recording process? It could be anything. It could be them at home listening to songs that inspire them. Anything they want to offer, you know; just be as creative as possible, that’s the only charge, really. Make it look really good and make everyone that consumes it think, “Man, I got something really great.” Treat the people with respect; make it memorable.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/jay-z-w...d-restore-fair-trade-in-music-news.14621.html

jerico likes this.
  16. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Is he saying that Tidal is paying the artists more than the other streaming services?

17. JohnnyQuest

Yes. It's highly unlikely though.

18. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

Summerisle, jkoponen and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The $9.99 subscription is new today. No lossless for that price, though.

20. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Spotify has 15 million paid subscribers. Tidal has 17,000. Nobody cared before, nobody's going to care now.

21. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Is Taylor Swift on Tidal?

Malina likes this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yes of course the artists get more money, you can't use this service for free. Another great thing about it is that it will force spotify to do the same thing. Supplying lossless that is.

What do you guys think? Will this be succesful? Will it put an end to physical media once and for all?

Think about it, if you don't care you use youtube, if you want to skip commercial you use spotify. Audiophiles however have traditionaly been listening to cd's because the higher quality.

If this is lossless and every album is represented on the service is there still a reason to even buy cd's anymore?

Go buy, store and take care of a cd-collection when instead you plug a device to your stereo and get everything the world has to offer in the same sq?

That's something to think about.

jkoponen likes this.
  23. knripsshmf

knripsshmf Member

I've been listening since late last year via the native Linn DS interface. It'd be great if ECM was available to stream in the US.

24. If it has decent classical and jazz catalogs I'll subscribe to the lossless option.

25. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Saw a commercial on NBC tonight. He had some heavy hitters in pop and hip hop in the room with him.

Seems like he's gonna throw everything at this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.