Tidal Audio Launches Lossless Streaming...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I signed up for the email, because why not.

RickH and LeeS like this.
  3. art

art Senior Member

It's WiMP ....

LeeS likes this.
  4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Joshua277456 and LeeS like this.
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Are they going to have an app for streaming?

6. LeeS

I will try to find out more. A friend of mine just joined in a major role.

TIDAL Dave likes this.
  7. edvj

edvj Forum Resident

8. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

I'm really looking forward to Tidal Hi-Fi! 25 million lossless audio tracks? $19.99 USD monthly subscription?

I'm all in.

RickH and LeeS like this.
  9. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

Tidal Hi-Fi will be cheaper than my Qobuz subscription and it looks like both will become available in the fall and winter of 2014. Tidal Hi-Fi has several millions of more lossless tracks compared to Qobuz, but Qobuz allows me to purchase and download 6,000 high resolution lossless audio tracks. However, Tidal Hi-Fi has 75,000 high resolution lossless music videos.

It looks like Tidal Hi-Fi is getting my money sooner.

LeeS likes this.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

curated editorial…

11. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Claims to offer Lossless 1411KBPS streaming (versus Spotify which offers Vorbis 320KBPS)

www.tidalhifi.com

Sound interesting, but at $20/month, it may be more than I'm willing to pay.

Wayniac likes this.
  12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Deezer announced a similar service today, using FLAC, but it's exclusive to Sonos users.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I would hope that $20 a month (or .66 cents a day) is not too much for an audiophile to get lossless music streamed.

If audiophiles aren't willing to support a lossless option at 66 cents a day then we all deserve the lossy music that we've been stuck with from streaming services. We can't complain about something and then when someone tries to do things right for a reasonable price just ignore it.

goodiesguy, FVDnz, Beech and 11 others like this.
  14. Welly Wu

Welly Wu Active Member

LeeS started another thread about Tidal here. I'm keeping a close eye on this one. I'm going to wait for the reviews to be published online before I spend my money to subscribe. My concern is how long will it take before it becomes financially solvent? Spotify took years and they are still losing a lot of money every month, but they are growing at a fairly rapid pace. To me, this is catered toward audiophiles and if that becomes the case, then I think that it will fail and go away in a few years. The record labels want to get paid. The artists want to get paid. Lossless streaming is very expensive and it's more expensive than lossy streaming due to the higher costs. I'll wait and see how it develops.

15. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I signed up to get early access whatever that is, hopefully some type of free trial period. To be honest I wouldn't pay the $20 a month. I use free spotify at work and don't care about sound quality there, actually at 320KBPS it's quite good through headphones or powered speakers.

octaneTom likes this.
  16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Imagine if Tim Cook's "One more thing..." were the announcement of a Beats Music/iTunes HD streaming-plus-download plan. No one would be talking about Tidal or Deezer...

Galley likes this.
  17. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I signed up for early access, looking forward to this

LeeS likes this.
  18. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Let's assume that I sign up to Deezer through Sonos, Do you know if this service (streaming of lossles files) is also availabe if someone wants to stream music out of an iPhone/iPad via Airplay instead of using Sonos?

19. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Tidal just launched in the U.S. and U.K. this morning. Has anyone here tried it yet?

20. LeeS

Thanks for the update. I have not tried it yet.

21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

There's a 7 day free trial available at the moment. Going to give this a go tonight :)

22. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Listening now. Pleased so far. Good library (though no ECM titles in the US at the moment), great sound quality via my uber-fast work connection.

My decision to remain a subscriber after the trial period probably hinges on the ECM thing.

MothAudio likes this.
  23. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

I got a 30 day trial. Just downloaded to my iphone and listening to my first track now. Sounds great. I like the interface. Will have to play around with it more tonight and do some comparisons to Spotify and CDs.

24. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Nice service, I like it. Free 7-day trial right now. Although it figures, the first thing I search for - "The Who Hits 50!", and no luck...

25. Got an email that it's live in the US, but when I signed up I got an error message. Sigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.