Tim Conway suffering from dementia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Heavy Music likes this.
  2. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Alzheimer's/dementia, eats away the mind,and just leaves the shell. Truely sad.

3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Without Tim Conway's golf instruction videos, I would NOT be the golfer I am today!

[​IMG]

4. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

This is sad to hear. He brought so much laughter to the world. I loved his work on the “Carol Burnett Show” while he amused my kids with his voice-overs on “SpongeBob Squarepants.”

5. Do we know if anybody actually "suffers" from dementia? As far as we know, dementia might be blissful ignorance. I've been around several people who have had dementia, Alzheimer's and the like. Some very close to me, and while it might be unsettling for me, if my grandmother thought she was talking to my dead father, when she was really speaking to me, what's so bad about her speaking with my dad?

In other words, if Tim is not responsive, maybe he's just chillin' in his head and drifting along. No problems, just easy going the rest of the way. Like sleep. Or, maybe it is sleep.

So, perhaps it's us, the fully cognizant, who are suffering, because we think they are suffering, only because we fear that it will happen to us one day, too.

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

He is also known for playing Barnacle Boy on SpongeBob.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

And don't forget Dorf Goes Fishing.

8. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

That was a tough read for me :(. I grew up watching him on TV and in movies. He helped me realizes that you don't have to be the one who is in the spotlight in order to shine brightly. He's comic genius and in my books he always will be.

MikaelaArsenault and BradOlson like this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

I have a DVD set of the Dorf videos

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

11. JM Jones

JM Jones Forum Resident

He was also friend/partner of the great Ernie Anderson....

boboquisp likes this.
  12. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Tim Conway was a huge part of my childhood with the Carol Burnett Show, Tim Conway Show, McHale's Navy, etc. I had not seen or heard from him in quite some time then lo and behold a year or so ago, I heard him voicing one of the characters on the Zootopia movie! And the character was even designed to kind of look like him too. The minute the character started talking I knew right away it was him. It was like saying "Hello, Tim!" after many years of absence.

I take care of a family member with dementia and there does not seem to be any voiced pain or agony or anything like that, just a lot of verbal repetition, confusion, etc. There needs to be a lot of supervision though to prevent them from choking or wandering off.

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wonder if ME Tv (or is it Antenna TV) will pull that promo with him, in which he looks and sounds pretty sad.

14. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Very sad to read this about Tim. He always seemed to be a good guy in addition to being insanely funny. I had an idea that there was something seriously wrong when he wasn't able to appear on "The Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary", but I couldn't find any info on it. Carol only mentioned that he was "under the weather". Anyway, Tim has done many memorable characters that have brought me many a good laugh when I've needed it most: Mr. Tudball, Dorf, The Dentist, etc. In recent years, I've enjoyed his newly filmed Gorf Christmas short videos for ISpotSanta on Facebook. The one where Gorf is one of Santa's helpers trying to wrap a doll is classic Tim. Earlier this morning, I purchased the Nook version of his autobiography, "What's So Funny?" as I have heard it is a great read. However, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that Tim is properly and lovingly cared-for. For a man who has given the world so much joy and happiness, Tim deserves the very best care possible.

arley and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

So why is this being reported?

"Conway’s daughter Kelly has gone to court in an attempt to become her father’s conservator so she can make medical decisions for him, The Blast reports. In court papers, she said that Conway is “almost entirely unresponsive.”

Kelly Conway, 56, alleges that the comedian’s wife, Charlene, is attempting to have him moved from the skilled nursing facility where he has access to registered nurses at all times to another facility that has a lower level of care, The Blast said.

Kelly Conway said her father cannot “properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, and clothing,” according to People. She is seeking guardianship so she can administer her father’s medications."

Jebus, not again.......

16. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

This is a real downer! Tim Conway ranks right up there with Red Skelton, Robin Williams, and several other OUTSTANDING comedians, and he's never given a less-than-fabulous performance.

I hope that several posters who opined that dementia patients don't realize how far they've slipped and therefore don't suffer in the conventional sense are "right on," because Tim should have no memories other than knowing he was loved and revered......

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

This is very sad to hear. Tim Conway is a comedic genius. To those of use who grew up in the 1970s, watching Conway make Harvey Corman "lose it" during their sketches on Carol Burnett was a major part of our childhood. There is an outtake of an episode where Don Rickles was on, where Conway , as the old man says "She Stole My Powerhouse", and the whole cast goes into hysterics.

I hope that Tim is being cared for well. He brought A LOT of happiness into this world.

JM Jones likes this.
  18. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I first remember Tim from McHale's Navy, he would always make me laugh sad to hear of his dementia.

19. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Very sad news.

My family used to watch McHale's Navy when it was on. I remember my dad laughing so hard that I thought he might hurt himself somehow. No doubt that his work on that show and Carol Burnett's show was classic comedy.

Rose River Bear and forthlin like this.
  20. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Very sad indeed. I grew up watching him (and Harvey!) on the tube with my dad, who loved him, so many great memories. As others have noted, I been a HUGE fan of his son on KFI AM (Los Angeles) for many years. What a hoot, and my kids love him too (Ding Dong!).

Dementia/Alzheimer is a bitch, my parents both succumbed. Thats all I got to say about that.......

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I like how much of the sketch the other do their best not to look at Conway any more than they have to, so he wouldn't cause them to crack up.

Michael likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My girlfriend acted with Tim and Harvey on a TV commercial for four days in 1992. Needless to say, it was a blast and a half. I still have the U-Matic of it that Tim personally made sure we got.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that sucks, but such is life. : (

24. Michael

that's excellent Steve...nice to hear positive comments.

25. Michael

I always was amused how much they cracked up during each show...it added to the show IMO...

kevywevy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.