"Time After Time" - Speaking of H.G. Wells; this was a wonderful thriller!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GKH, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member Thread Starter

Starring Malcolm McDowell (as H.G. Wells), Mary Steenburgen, and David Warner. :righton:

[​IMG]

It was released in 1979. Very,very well done! Timeless, I would say! :agree:

SandAndGlass and DesertChaos like this.
  2. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I saw this movie when it came out in 1979. That was the beginning of my decades-long crush on Mary Steenburgen.

Gumboo likes this.
  3. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Ditto!
    Great movie! Must have seen this at least 5 times.
    Haven't found it on DVD yet.

4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Same here. I loved the movie, and her.

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Same here. Pretty funny scene when he's in McD's and imitates the guy that was ahead of him when ordering a Big Mac.

6. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I like the part where McDowell tells Steenburgen that he just ate at this delightful little Scottish place "MacDougall's."

7. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Same here. I saw it at a theater in Iowa when I was just a teenager. I was already a big H.G. Wells fan (I was a bookish kid), plus it had the added attraction of having a screenplay written by a writer in residence at the University of Iowa's Writer's Workshop - one of Iowa's few claims to fame (along with being the birthplace of John Wayne).
    I may have been too young to really appreciate Ms. Steenburgen's finer attributes. ;)

8. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have always been a huge fan of time travel movies and I thought this was a very good time travel movie. The peolple who portrayed three main characters in the movie were very good, indeed. Malcolm McDowell was espacially good.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I love that scene! "Gimme a Bic Mac...fries...and a tea."

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

11. vinyl anachronist

They've been playing the heck out of this on cable lately, which is probably why this thread started. I watched a week or so ago, and I still like this movie a lot. It isn't perfect...it's marred by some choppy editing, and there are some over-conveniences in the plot. But the three leads are indeed great, with the chemistry between Mary and Malcolm is truly real (they did get married in real life, remember). And yes, you do tend to fall absolutely in love with Mary Steenburgen. I think it was the first time I'd seen her in a movie, and I remember being happy that she won the Oscar the next year for Melvin and Howard solely because I liked her so much in this film.

A neat little Mary Steenburgen tidbit...about fifteen years ago, I had a girlfriend who was attending Cal State Northridge, and she swore that Mary Steenburgen was teaching her calculus class. Her first day at class, she said something like "I know some of you might know my from my film career, but hopefully we can get past that." Apparently she was a math teacher before she got into film. I didn't believe my girlfriend at first, so she told me to come on down and see for myself, and I did. Yes, Mary Steenburgen was teaching calculus at CSUN in the early 90s. And in person, she was utterly elegant and mesmerizing! :love: :love: :love:

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  12. GKH

Actually; no. I had no idea it had been showing. I have never seen it on the cable or DirectTV, actually. I saw it when it was originally released. And; I rented it a few times.

It's a wonderful movie! And; probably the first time Malcolm was cast as a good guy! :)

13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I kinda had thing for her in Cross Creek. Go figure. :)

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I really like the movie. I've seen it too many times at this point though. I got the Laserdisc of it back in the 80's, when I didn't have so many LD's yet and overwatched it. I got the DVD and it was better. Then I saw it in Direc's HD "Lite" on HD Net Movies, I think...?...last year. It was even better and looked like it would really excel on future HD formats. I hated to drop it off the hard-drive but I have the not so spacious, for HD, stock ones.

15. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

16. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Considering his other "over the top" roles, Malcom McDowell has never been more restrained (and for the better). I've always thought it was a great performance, as were Mary Steenburgen's and David Warner's. I saw this as a young lad when it came out and, unlike most other films from that period, I still find it quite worthwhile and certainly very enjoyable.

Aaron

17. GKH

I know! I felt it was a brilliant performance by McDowell! Just brilliant! And; great performances by Warner, and Steenburgen, as well. :righton:

I really need to get this on DVD.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My first post-grad job was in a theater, and it was playing. She was/is so adorable. Loved the role in "Joan Of Arcadia", too.

The film, however, doesn't grab me somehow, as if it's dated. Not enough element of menace, I guess. But if you just pay attention to the three main characters and leave the rest alone, it works.

19. vinyl anachronist

If you were going to remake it today, who would you cast in the three leads?

20. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I noticed that the back insert of the 2002 edition states:
    "Feature-length commentary by Malcolm McDowell and writer/director Nicholas Meyer"

While the 2008 edition states:
    "Feature-length commentary by Malcolm McDowell, David Warner and writer/director Nicholas Meyer"

Can anyone tell me if the commentary track is actually different between the two releases?

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Weird film with a Jack the Ripper plot.

22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

...and about to be produced as a TV series to premiere on ABC Winter 2017, I begin working on it next Monday!

JakeM, gramfan and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. I believe the commentary tracks are identical.

24. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I've always loved this movie since I saw it in the early 80's on HBO.

townsend likes this.
  25. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Well I've now heard the 2002 commentary track, and David Warner is not on it. Can anyone confirm if he is actually on the 2008 version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.