Time-aligned speakers and "sweet spot" inquiry …

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bhazen, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Fact!

2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

geez you would need the discipline of one of those zen monks to slow your heart rate down and keep yourself in position long enough to listen to an album.

bhazen and Adam9 like this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

Yes the Kestels use a very simple 1st order xover along with time aligned drivers. They really do have an uncanny knack of sounding good no matter where you are. I'm not talking about precise imaging as you get in the sweet spot, but they can sound very natural almost anywhere in the room.
    Now the Thiels will beat them for imaging in the sweet spot. But the Thiels lose the magic if out of that spot. They still sound room-filling good, just not as natural as the Kestrels.
    The Kestrels come up on ebay fairly regularly and sell for $250 to $350. You should try a pair if they come up locally. The xover is super easy to get to if you want to play with it.

DaveC113 and bhazen like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Agree 100%.

5. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN Thread Starter

Thanks - but I live on the West Coast of America. :)

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Much, much easier! :shtiphat:

bhazen likes this.
  7. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

I just purchased a pair of Vandersteen 3 a few months ago and here are my observations.

1. The speakers are very sweet-spot dependent. A slight shift on the horizontal plane away from the sweet spot (say, from middle of the couch to the right side of the couch) means one speaker overpowers the other. That is, you will hear more from one speaker than the other.

2. When I move around the house, the shifting effect described above is not noticeable. The music is just there.

3. If you have length in the room, it might help to set up the speakers in an isosceles triangle. That increases the distance from the speakers and might help diminish the shifting effect described in #1.

bhazen likes this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Guess I'm not the only one who thought our location was the UK.

9. bhazen

Will Vandersteens (or Meadowlarks) work up against the wall?

10. Combination

bhazen likes this.
  11. Combination

They can get close for sure (I have no choice but to place them like this), but directly up against the wall is probably not a good idea.

bhazen likes this.
  12. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Buy some vintage Linn Isobarrics
    They proudly said they had no sweet spot
    'The musicians are in the room with you'
    ie its mono prat.

bhazen likes this.
  13. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I was leaning on purchasing a pair of Kestrels. And then, they were gone. A bit of a bummer.

14. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Imaging also has to do with the directivity of the speakers and the ratio of direct to reflected sound. I am playing with some large, 20" diameter waveguides that use a Le Cleac'h curve with single drivers. Without the waveguides the imaging is close to as good as it gets, it's a time-aligned point source... but with the waveguides the imaging is the best I've heard from any speaker at any price. The guides eliminate short 1st reflections and the result is spectacular, but it doesn't sound as good outside of the sweet spot. In another room there is not much difference with or without waveguides.

Doug Sclar likes this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

The original Kestrels are rear ported so probably best out from the wall a bit. The Kestrel IIs are front ported and are a whole lot better looking. Unfortunately, they don't have the same sound as the originals. Yes I owned both. Bought the IIs and sold them after a few months of listening and put the original Kestrels back in to compare; that was all she wrote.

bhazen likes this.
  16. bhazen

I had Saras for awhile, smacked right up against the wall; I'd have them still, as they were perfect in just about every way that counts: groove and PRaT in spades, non-existent sweet spot (i.e. no need to sit anywhere near the middle of anything), and great tone, except for a tendency to 'shout' on certain material. Shoulda just violated protocol and gotten an equalizer!

17. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Check out the Decware ERRx to throw another radial into the mix, I've heard many great things about them. They are fairly inexpensive new, but if you can get a pair used you could save even more.

18. Drew D. Saur

Drew D. Saur Forum Resident

Khyl,

Well, what I am trying to say is that time alignment is almost always given some consideration in any reasonably mid to high end crossover and enclosure designs. One cannot really consider phase alignment without giving some consideration to time alignment.

Drew

19. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I would have to agree with this fact, my setup is a lot like Doug describes here. I have horns that have been time/phase aligned using measurement equipment to verify the results, if I am not in the sweet spot there is a huge difference in the sound. I listen to music in the sweet spot when ever I am listening, that's the way I set it up and that's the way I like it!!! There are trade off's here, in the sweet spot it doesn't get any better; out of the sweet spot there is a noticable difference in the sound quality much more bass for example!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.