Time for a Godfather Saga Blu Ray !!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by [email protected], Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident Thread Starter

This was shown on USA a year ago and we still don't have a Video release, The Extra scenes in part 1&2
    are simply worth more to me ,than the brilliant editing of the original Godfather 2 ,Most of these scenes
    were cut strictly for time and not because they were below the high Quality of the first two films
    Having some of these scenes as Non HD non anamorphic clips in a extra section done years ago isn't good enough for me !!

2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I would buy it.

blind_melon1 and lbangs like this.
  3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Meh.
    I love 2 because of the contrasting stories - don's rise, michael's fall. I never liked the chronological rework.

Are all the added scenes in the saga included as deleted scenes on the current bluray set? Or are there some only in the saga not on blu?

Greedo shot first - leave the godfathers as originally intended

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  4. PNeski@aol.com

no they aren't all included ! and they aren't even HD!! ,plus scenes go on longer ,for example one scene (which I thought was a set) you see Michael and the Don walk out of his office into the Garden
    There are way too many scenes cut that make up for missing the editing sorry I don't agree ,Plus we have I&2 already ,we don't have the Saga

5. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I have it on Laserdisc. I really love the additional scenes as well (especially for Part 1!) Would love to see a blu Ray release but it probably won't happen.

6. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

The scene between Bonasera the undertaker and his wife(?) before he goes to see what "service" the Godfather wants from him (after Sonny dies) was not among the deleted scenes in the DVD Collection. I kinda like that scene, it gives his moment of reckoning with the Don an ironic twist.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I would buy it! been hoping for years that this would turn up on DVD...never happened. Sooooooooooo, bring on the BR!

8. PNeski@aol.com

Coppola must have not cared for it ,since when he did his video version (the Trilogy ) it was gone

9. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I also have the Laserdisc set. Worth a watch one time, but a curiosity only.

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I personally prefer the structure of "The Godfather Saga". I do not expect widespread support for that view but no reason that option could not be made available in a DVD or Blu Ray box set.

Simon A, JohnBeas and Vidiot like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The remix would be expensive and time-consuming to recreate, but it's possible to do. I'm sure Coppola and Paramount have considered it.

12. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I'm still waiting for the complete uncut saga on BR!

13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

THIS.

Coppola only put together Saga because he needed to raise additional capital for Apocalypse Now, the theatrical films themselves need no further additions or alterations (although getting a time machine, going back to 1989 and convincing Robert Duvall to do Part III would be nice!). Besides, I always considered Saga as The Godfather For Dummies, which it essentially is... making the story unfold chronologically utterly robs Part II of everything that makes it a masterpiece.

If Coppola really valued Saga as something essential, it would have recieved a full restoration and ancilliary re-release... he doesn't so it hasn't.

Myke likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

....make you a offer you can't refuse.....

Bump

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That would be cool. I would buy it.

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I would love to have the reworked version that appeared on TV as the "The Godfather - A Novel For Television". It was done long before "III". It runs around seven hours long. There was a another set released commercially as the "Godfather Epic 1902 - 1959" but that ran shorter. The "Godfather Trilogy 1901 - 1980" came out later and was on laserdisc. That also had some of the extra scenes, not all.

From the ending sequence of the TV version...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Vidiot and bluemooze like this.
  17. Muzyck

Yeah, but he but he decided to release part III, so his judgement is not to be trusted.

;)

The Hermit likes this.
  18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

19. Muzyck

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too! been wanting for years ...

Holy Diver likes this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The Hermit likes this.
  22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

;) right back at ya dude!

In fairness to Coppola, he didn't actually want to do a third Godfather, he steadfastly resisted the very notion of one throughout the 1970's and into the late 1980's, claiming that for him, the story was told and done. But by the late '80's, he was in a dire financial strait after several flops and reluctantly agreed to make a third installment.

I really like Part III despite it's obvious flaws, but again, Coppola isn't entirely to blame there either; Paramount only gave him and Mario Puzo a mere six weeks to deliver a first draft of the script - Coppola wanted six months - and Paramount set a Christmas 1990 release date in stone for the film - Coppola wanted an Easter 1991 release - and that wasn't even the end of his woes as Paramount refused to pay Robert Duvall half of what Al Pacino was getting, and Duvall's request was entirely reasonable as Tom Hagen was the second most important character in the original script for III, the studio refused and insisted he only get one-fifth of Pacino's salary so Duvall opted out, and then just as principal photography was about to begin, Winona Ryder drops out due to "exhaustion" on her doctor's orders, necessitating Coppola to find a replacement at the (quite literally) very last minute, which led to Sofia Coppola's hiring... it wasn't nepotism on Coppola's part, it was circumstances.

Had Duvall and Ryder been in the film, the original story outline would have remained and the film itself would have been immeasurably better a as result, but flawed as it is, it's a worthy swansong for the Corleone saga...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Vidiot, bferr1 and tonyc like this.
  23. PNeski@aol.com

Your viewpiont dosn't cut it for me " need no further additions or alterations " sorry a long Godfather 1 would only be better ,the scenes are all that high standard ,and only make the film better

MarkusGermany likes this.
  24. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I see that HBO is playing "The Godfather Epic" this Sunday (1/17, 5pm EST). I don't get HBO but I'll be interested to hear how its presented since this version has never been remastered (as far as I know) and is not available on DVD or blu-ray. Has this ever run on HBO before?

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

what exactly is included, or excluded, or added, to the "coppolla restoration" version on blu-ray?

is the 4th disc worth the price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.