Time for another indy mike's pick ONE tune per hour - howzabout 60's garage bands???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Hmmm, almost pushes into the psychy-heavy realm, but Nuggets - Original Artyfacts had some stuff of a similar flavor - as long as we don't get drenched in the patchouli oil stench of a head shop, I think we're ok...

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

A bit 'heavy,' perhaps, but so rudimentary--Blue Cheer were not Cream, to be kind--where else does it belong? Hell, the Amboy Dukes had more chops, and therefore one step beyond garage, though their origins, too, were certainly there...as for 'lack of innocence'....about what? They cover the old Eddie Cochran tune, and cover tunes were a garage staple.

Along other lines, as with my choice of Southwest F.O.B., patchouli smells or not, by '68 even garage bands were dabbling with the stoner sounds of psychedelia...but when they went too far, I left them out even though they are sprinkled throughout NUGGETS and other comps. Blue Cheer, if nothing else, was neither stoner nor psychedelic.

Still, fun to debate....

ED:cool:

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Okay Ed, I'm going to pick on of the Rascals with "You Better Run". If you picked this early I apologize.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

HP Lovecraft-I've Been Wrong Before

5. Ed Bishop

Nope, not on my list; goes to you, Joe! The last of their 'garage' 45's, and funny how it turned up not on COLLECTIONS--where you would have expected it--but on GROOVIN' instead; really out of place there, but, at the same time, most welcome.

Here's another obscure, uncharted item, but you know the band:

THE WILDWEEDS: "It Was Fun(While It Lasted)"

From early '68. I found this at a record show for a buck, and it has writing on the label, but that was just another reason to buy it: the writing reads, "Love Bernadette" at the top and at bottom, "Al Anderson, Wildweeds." Cool! And that's the only time I can stand writing on any label. That one was a real surprise. Wonder what became of Bernadette, the lady who got this one signed for her so long ago...

6. Michael

The Choir-Any Way I Can- on the Sundazed Choir Cee Dee, I believe it was unreleased...what a fine song.:thumbsup:

7. indy mike

Anyone mention Baby Please don't Go by The Amboy Dukes? Again, stretching just a bit, but I think it's just sloppy enough to slip in quietly (and it was on Nuggets from Elektra/Sire - should we give Lenny Kaye a pass on this one)???

8. Ed Bishop

THE RACKET SQUAD: "The Loser"

Released on the Jubilee label, early '68. Like your decent but unremarkable high school band doing a love ballad that doesn't have much going for it, though they meant well. Most of the garage acts attempted at least one, but this one touches me more than most, though the band's name does not live up to the two songs on this 45(the flip is a cover of The Association's "No Fair At All.") One of those songs that reminds you of your attempt to be a player, too...and got nowhere.

9. Michael

The Knickerbockers-Come On And Let Me...infectious bass...:thumbsup:

10. Michael

October Country-The Smoke

11. Ed Bishop

And now, the bridge between Terry Knight & The Pack and Grand Funk Railroad:

THE PACK: "Next To Your Fire"

Produced by John Rhys--who did the honors for the Shades Of Blue("Oh How Happy")--out of Detroit, and, despite the title, this is Jimi Hendrix's "Fire" garaged to death. Knight dropped his name for this one, but used this as a door opener that resulted in a Grand Funk contract with Capitol and a lot of success before the inevitable split four years later.

12. indy mike

Say Ed - by any chance, do you like garage band music????

13. Joe Koz

From Them's - Them Again - "Call My Name"

14. Ed Bishop

Can't stand the crap, really....should sell all those old 45's for some real cash...buy the entire Silverline catalog, ya know, better myself.....:laugh: :laugh:

15. Michael

The Standells-Little Red Riding Hood...:thumbsup:

16. Ed Bishop

And now, continuing with the obscure....

THE EPIC SPLENDOR: "It Could Be Wonderful"/"She's High On Life":

Their lone chart record was "A Little Rain Must Fall"; this was the less than successful(but more garage-like)followup. Can't beat the B-side's title....

17. Joe Koz

Good one Michael, From the Standells "Hot Ones". Great CD. They cover hits of the day sort of thing. As a matter of fact my next pick is form that CD. "Sunshine Superman" Yeah it's the Donovan song, but Donovan's version is *trippy* the Standells version is pure garage....

Joe:laugh:

18. Michael

Yea...That whole Cee Dee is HOT! Garagey at it's best...

19. Ed Bishop

Sorry about this one, but I just pulled it out of the box, can't help myself...

THE FUN AND GAMES: "The Grooviest Girl In The World"

Or, Gary Zekley in yet another garage incarnation, though this one sounds like garage after too much wine and tabs of acid...has a playful charm, though, which is why I snuck it in.

20. Ed Bishop

Finally....a chance to post in this thread that never ends...because garage rock never seems to...at least, not quite yet:

THE HUCK FINN: "Two Of A Kind"

Another obscure Mike Appel co-writing/production attempt[Kapp 958, from late '68]; lighter side of garage. Mr. Appel would not have any real success until he managed The Boss; even then, that would, too, be fleeting, though he came out of it well enough.

21. Michael

Luv'd Ones-Dance Kid Dance...Cool Chicks!:thumbsup:

22. Michael

Dripping into the very very early 1970...Dirty Business-New Riders Of The Purple Sage...Great Wah Wah /Fuzz.

23. Joe Koz

Before I post my next pick I just have to say Ed Cobb rules!!!! Did anybody happen to pick one of my favorite Ed Cobb songs done by the Chocolate Watch Band "She Weaves A Tender Trap" There happen's to be strings on that one, oh what the hell-Garage with class???

24. Michael

Ditto on Cobb! I have every available CWB Cee Dee out there! Big Beat/Ace-Sundazed...Crazy am I??? Yup! for The CWB!

25. indy mike

Chocolate Watchband was one awesome combo - why they couldn't snag any chart action is amazing... :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.