Time Machine: 1 trip back, your choice:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'd go back to October 1998 and buy as many shares of Apple Computer for $8 that I possibly could.

Then I'd hang around for three years and stop the bastid terrorists the day before 9/11. I'd even do it quietly, just take them out at their motels. No heroics, no parade, just kill 'em dead.

With my luck, it'd have the same effect as what happened with Brian the Dog in Family Guy. (Things did not go well.) Tampering with the past is risky business.

Let's take a second trip and push Mark Chapman into a bus on December 7th, 1980.

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd take it a bit further.
    Go to a movie with Cheng when we were still just friends in 1997.
    Start dating a year earlier, so my Dad gets to know her.
    Also if this happens, my Grandma will get to see us married.
    Originally she died 5 months before our wedding.
    She did she us get engaged.

Darryl

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The Mothers of Invention - Festival Hall, London 1968

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

To The Way-Back Machine!

"No Future for You ! ! !"

[​IMG]

I would worry too much about the 'butterfly effect' to step into that phone booth.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'd have to say Woodstock festival....

6. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

That has been working my mind also. If SOMEBODY could have been there to track that bastard. Changing history is one thing, but John died well before his time.

Concert moment - Seeing the Allman Brothers at The Warehouse's opening show with Duane and Berry. Hard to imagine by the age of 12(1971), so many legendary artists dead - Duane Allman, Hendrix, Janis, Jim, Brian Jones and two weeks before my birth - Buddy Holly.

7. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

Bob Dylan in Salt Lake City, Utah, 1976.

8. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I had a chance to see Springsteen in '74 (or perhaps it was earlier) at John Carroll University in suburban Cleveland. That concert was arranged by a grad student named Tim Russert. Yes, thatTim Russert (rip)!

9. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

No, but word on the street is that some robot was going to go back and look for his mother.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'd take a Bach music expert with me and we'd go back to Bach's time to find out if Bach wrote the famous Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV 565) or even ever played it himself. There is some dispute as to whether Bach actually wrote it. It would be fun to find out for sure if Bach wrote it or played it. And as part of the investigation I'd get to hear Bach himself play.

11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You are lucky, friend! I was only 1 1/2 years old and still living in Detroit!
    I would love to hear or read about eyewitness accounts from that time. There are indeed great books and movies/videos, but mostly from a historical point of view with hazy unreliable memories from the bands' point of view!

Has anybody on this thread read Stephen King's latest 11/22/63? The JFK references remind me of that!

12. Rando

Rando Active Member

Scott Joplin and his opera company performing "A Guest of Honor," 1903.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm ready!

14. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

No question: The Floyd -- Montreal, Canada, July 6, 1977 @ Olympic Stadium.

Roger Waters completely losing it on stage. "Come Here Boy!"

Thanks for the music Rog.

15. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ed Sullivan Theatre NYC Feb 9, 1964--front row center audience.

16. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

King Crimson at the Marquee in 1969.

17. Rory Gallagher - somewhere on the Irish Tour '74.

or

INXS - Dec 17, 1990 (my mother said she heard me comng down the road singing INXS songs that night after the show)

18. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Man... there are so many possibilities!! Lots of stuff that would be historically interesting and would also be great concerts. Lots of stuff also that Id like to see but has become so familiar through DVD etc that I wonder if it would be a little stale. I would LOVE to have seen Queen live - how to choose just one show tho! I could say Live Aid, or the FM Tribute Show, both of which would have been amazing, or Milton Keynes or Hyde Park or Leeds, but I think I would probably choose the local show that I missed because I was too young really, which would have been two days after my 14th birthday on April 11th 1976. I have newspaper stills from that show and I know what the set list would have looked like. I have tour posters from that tour, so Id love to have gone! As it is, my first concert ever was nearly a year later in March of 1977 when I saw my then number 1 favourite band [Queen were number 2 then] ABBA live in concert. Awesome show. Still... seeing Freddie live remains my holy grail.

Steve

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A good buddy of mine wrote a time-travel novel in the 1980s where a character sent a postcard to the White House on November 17th, 1963, saying, "My name is Lee Harvey Oswald. I live 1026 N Beckley Street in Oak Cliff, and I plan to shoot the President of the United States in the back of the head with a Mannlicher-Carcano rifle from the 6th floor of the Texas Book Depository at 12:30PM on Elm Street & Houston Street on Friday, November 22nd. Try and stop me, coppers."

Three days later, a bunch of FBI and cop cars show up and take Oswald away. The book's character is satisfied that he's managed to successfully change history. But on Friday afternoon... another guy with three names kills the President.

So I think major historical events probably can't be changed. If you did, bad things will happen. (And that was covered in an episode of the 1980s Twilight Zone I worked on.) Stephen King's recent novel 11/22/63 covers similar ground, with even more harrowing results. More than one historical observer has said, "if Kennedy had survived and been re-elected, there's always the danger that the public would find out about his medical problems, drug use, and extramarital affairs, all of which could potentially create the biggest political scandal in history."

As Varispeed says elsewhere, Kennedy surviving might have adversely affected (or delayed) the success of the Beatles. But given the hundreds of thousands of lives unnecessarily lost or damaged in Vietnam, maybe that would be an acceptable trade-off.

20. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

The European shows were much better. Zep at their finest was the German shows in 73. The MSG shows were weak. Zep was tired and worn out by the time they played them.

21. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Hamhead already replied "I'll join you" to this one; I'd be a willing third. If the trip was limited to just one day, it would be one in 1966 or 67 when the Buffalo Springfield were playing the Whiskey or somewhere.

22. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I would travel back to the late 80's and start grabbing those MFSL + DCC gold discs!!!

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

This!

Also, I would've liked to have seen Elvis Presley live in concert. Doesn't matter what era, though it would've been cool to see him in the '50s and at the start of the comeback in the late '60s.

24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm a mad Beatles fan but...

Yorkshire Moors 1978 to see Kate Bush film the video for "Wuthering Heights"..:love:

Some Beatles related ones

1960 Litherland Town Hall gig to see The Beatles explode
    1967 Knowle Park to see The Beatles film the video for "Strawberry Fields Forever"
    1969 A sunny friday morning 8th August 1969, somewhere on Abbey Road.

25. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

This one is very easy for me. Go back and experience the entire Grateful Dead Europe 1972 shows. That would be watching a band go through a musical transformation and it would likely have the same effect on my psyche.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.