Time to get a power amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ashulman, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vinyl listener using a Whest phono into a Krell integrated to Totem Forest Signature, which are about 86-87 efficient. Thinking it's time for separates, power and pre. First step power. Budget around 2k used. My system leans clinical and bright, so maybe something more musical or warmer than Krell. Thoughts?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If you like tube power, I'd get a new Rogue Audio Stereo 100. Very sweet, holographic with enough power for your speakers. Another solution if you prefer bottomless power and speed to warmth and depth, would be to get the Medusa power amp and use it for a while with a passive controller or your current integrated as a preamp while saving up for the RP5 preamp. That's ultimately a very neutral, quiet and transparent combination with some soundstage depth from the tube stage and extremely deep and tight bass.
    -Bill

3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well I went for about $700 Quad909 and a Tisbury Audio passive preamp.

billnunan likes this.
  4. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds interesting

5. SHU

SHU Forum Resident

Or perhaps a hybrid, if you want to stay in the realm of integrateds.

I retired my Krell 300i a couple of weeks ago after buying my Pathos (inpol 2). Very happy that I did. The soundstage has improved quite a lot, but the main difference is that I just want to keep listening. No fatique whatsoever.

Best of luck!

6. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Been running Rogue Cronus Magnum II for a year and it really is perfectly warm but not too "tubey" sounding.
    Plenty of power too.
    The phono section quality wise is in the $300-$400 separates range.
    Which is to say the phono section is quite usable in a second system or for those that like superior MM phono if not super expensive "reference" phono.
    If you always wanted a cheaper alternative to a McIntosh C22/MC275 combo because ten grand is a bit much---the Cronus Magnum II offers comperable tube goodness on a tight budget.
    For heaven's sake people---this thing rocks!
    The guy who has an older model that blew up---well I can't speak to that.
    Mine is acting like it is solid as a rock so far.

SandAndGlass and KT88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.