Time to Gush over Another New Film: "Puzzle"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Saw it tonight, one of those nights when I went into the theater with no idea what it was going to be. I was presented with a great, quiet family drama, what many would call a "small film". (WARNING: this film contains scenes of real people acting like real people; expect nuances, well-drawn characters, emotions, and a beautifully-shot film that will keep you glued to the screen, without the use of explosions, weaponry, superheroes, or CGI). It's also (amazingly, only) Marc Turtletaub's second directors' gig, adpted from the original Argentinian film.

Agnes is a shy, uptight woman in service to her family, until a chance birthday gift of a jigsaw puzzle leads her on a voyage of self-discovery, and the first steps towards unlocking her passions, honesty and finding out who she really is and what she really wants. Kelly MacDonald plays her like a second-fiddle gradually overtaking the entire orchestra; I didn't recognize her at first, and then she just blossoms (reminds me of my first experiences with Rebecca Hall or Rosemarie DeWitt). The whole film is on her face, and I can't take my eyes off of it.

A visit to a NYC puzzle store leads her to an Indian guy you've forgotten, you've seen in probably 20 great films you'll remember; he's well-known Bollywood actor Irrfan Kahn. Robert needs a partner to enter a major-league jigsaw-puzzle championship (yes, that's a "thing", and of course if there's a "thing" anywhere, you're going to buy that it happens in New York City, so just shut up and roll with it). As Agnes has done for everybody else in her life so far, she makes time for him as well.

So, what do you expect to happen to a mousy housewife cocooned in family, church and the same house all her life? If you guessed already, you'll miss watching it develop in real-time, and how it effects her husband (David Dennan, television's #1 on speed-dial to cast "Doughy Husband/Mundane Breadwinner") and her two boys. There aren't a lot of surprises in this movie, but somehow that still keeps you engaged, chuckling, and bowled over by the scenery (which has to work damn hard to take your gaze off of MacDonald's maturing smile). And by the time the gorgeous freakin' score has ushered in the credits, and Ane Brun has come out of nowhere with the Grown-Up's-Movie-Song-Of-The-Year, you are already texting friends to tell them they have to see this...and already hoping in your enthusiasm, you haven't over-sold it to them.

Don't worry. You haven't.

kronning, jlocke08 and Silver Surfer like this.
  2. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Saw it too and it is a quite different type of film, sort I tend to want to see. Irrfan Khan is a wonderful actor ! Check him out in Life Of Pi and a few other titles I've seen him in , have to look up titles..

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Watched this last night and yes a big thumbs up, it's Indie, no big pretensions and theme of flowering reminds me of Ladybird.

Like Ladybird Kelly MacDonald's spreading of her wings doesn't produce a smooth flight and what we have here is a nuanced portrail of love and how life complicates everything.

This is not Hollywood so don't expect a popcorn ending, in fact this was one aspect which was somewhat disappointing as it feels like we needed more time to see how all this would eventually unfold, I suspect not well as MacDonald's character seems to attract egocentric men.

The song at the end feels like a massive misstep as we seem to have fallen in to the crevasse of Hollywood schmaltz

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'd rent it, but I just can't spend money on something unless it really really is a must see.

It IS a non cycled original plot idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.