Time Travel. TV and film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeMusic, Jul 18, 2020.

1. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can't beat a *good* time travel story

Back to the Future and early Terminator probably the best
    Sarah Connor Chronicles wonderful
    Timeless, TV series not perfect but excellent

Quantum Leap fabulous at the time
    Dr.Who not really for me, a Brit at that

What did I miss that is truly excellent ?

(Searched on Time Travel but not found)

2. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

3. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, of course. Remember that as a kid.

4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Star Trek TOS Season 2 Episode 26, "Assignment Earth" - While back in time observing Earth in 1968, the Enterprise crew encounters the mysterious Gary Seven who has his own agenda on the planet.

Star Trek TOS Season 1 Episode 19, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" - The Enterprise is thrown back in time to 1960s Earth.

Star Trek TOS Season 1 Episode 28, "The City on the Edge of Forever" - When a temporarily insane Dr. McCoy accidentally changes history and destroys his time, Kirk and Spock follow him to prevent the disaster, but the price to do so is high. Guest Star Joan Collins.

5. Madness

Star Trek IV, "The Voyage Home"

6. Madness

This current season of Marvel Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. is quite good, jumping around through time.

Andy Smith and MikeMusic like this.
  7. Madness

Star Trek: The Next Generation: “Yesterday’s Enterprise”

When the Enterprise C, the predecessor to Picard’s Enterprise D, moves through a temporal rift, history is altered. The Enterprise D is no longer a peaceful ship of exploration, but a battleship, on the front lines in a decades long conflict between the Federation and the Klingons. This episode is great for many reasons, we get to see an entirely different take on the Star Trek universe, a character who died years before is back, and Picard must contemplate sending a crew back to face certain death in a gamble to change history. Worth it to see Patrick Stewart’s delivery of the line “Let’s make sure history never forgets the name…Enterprise.”

sotosound, BrentB, polchik and 5 others like this.
  8. Madness

Star Trek: The Next Generation: “All Good Things…”

The final ever episode of TNG is one of the best, and really should have been the first Next Gen movie as it is superior to the tepid Generations in almost every conceivable way. The time travel conceit here is simple and mysterious, Picard starts moving backwards and forwards in time for no apparent reason. His backwards journeys take him seven years into the past, where he re-lives the events of the pilot episode. His forwards journeys take him decades into the future, where he is an old man who has been diagnosed with a serious illness. As the reason for his journeys is revealed, he realises that the very existence of the human species is at stake. This episode explores parallel universes, causality, the direction of time, and has a great performance from John de Lancie as the brilliant villain, Q.

sotosound, Leviethan, BrentB and 5 others like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

How about time loop movies:

Groundhog Day
    Source Code
    Looper
    Happy Death Day

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

11. Madness

Star Trek: First Contact. My favorite Star Trek movie.

sotosound and Hadean75 like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Purple Jim likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Most recently I have enjoyed 11.22.63. 12 Monkeys (the series), and the Netflix/Canadian series Travelers. I like the latter especially, in that it spends a lot of time not only with the "being there", but the nuts and bolts of the plot device is also a part of the plot itself.

As much as people want to ignore the plot device and just concentrate on the "going back and changing stuff" part of the equation, one would think anybody who can transcend time, should have a pretty interesting backstory themselves worthy of exploring, on just that alone. In fact, a story just about the time traveler, I think would be enough, without actually getting to the point where he's gotten to the actual event.

I'm thinking of a film such as Aubrey Plaza's 2012 Safety Not Guaranteed, in which she answers an ad from a newbie time traveler looking for a traveling companion. Most of it is just leading up to the actual event.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

INTERSTELLAR would be the big, obvious one, as well as the MCU's ENDGAME finale.

I read a book about the reality of time travel and it pointed out that given what we know about wormholes, they wouldn't work as everything is destroyed to the subatomic quantum level and re-arranged. You couldn't pass a message, even if you somehow had a Jupiter-sized mass to fuel the process for a fraction of a second.

JediJones likes this.
  15. ries

ries Forum Resident

16. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Nice Thread, OP! :righton:
    Esp. since you mentioned, as you're a "Brit":winkgrin:...

Life On Mars
    (TV Series - UK original version!!!)
    Super-fantastic! Possibly favorite show of All-Time! Has everything: time travel, crime-drama, cop-buddy, comedy, romance, killer soundtrack. John Simm, Philip Glenister (Possibly best male duo all-time, too! Fantastic actors! Can't sing this shows' praises high enough. It's still fresh in my mind b/c I just viewed it last year. (It originally aired in 2006-2007.)
    *I'd started a thread here on visual arts, after seeing both UK & US version trailers; was leaning UK anyway, specifically asking opinions, which one... I thought I might have previously viewed the US one & after viewing trailers was leaning UK myself - results heavily weighted UK. 2 Seasons. I've since read, this year, that there's been talk of possibility of a 3rd in the works (don't know how C-19 situation may impact that).
    :D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

Plot[edit]
    Life on Mars tells the fictional story of Sam Tyler (John Simm), a policeman in service with the Greater Manchester Police (GMP). After being hit by a car in 2006, Tyler awakens in 1973 to find himself working for a predecessor of the GMP, the Manchester and Salford Police, at the same station and location as in 2006. Early on in the series, it becomes apparent to Tyler that he awakes as a Detective Inspector, one rank lower than his 2006 rank of Detective Chief Inspector. As part of the Criminal Investigation Department, Tyler finds himself working under the command of DCI Gene Hunt (Philip Glenister). Throughout the two series, the plot is based on the ambiguity of Tyler's predicament and the lack of clarity, to both the audience and the character, whether he has died, become comatose or has time travelled.[4]

*Link to thread
    Life on Mars TV series: UK or US version?

- I think the original trailer's been taken down; this is very short & the others' are fan-cut tributes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmFwGgC4aU&t=31s - Fan cut.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWucqxbhV00 - A scene from season 1.

Life on Mars creator confirms third and final series is in the works

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)

18. Dillydipper

Major downer, there.

Can you imagine the combined strengths of all the nations desperately pooling their resources to send an urgent message to the past, with details on how to avoid coming cataclysms, instructions on circumnavigating scenarios, and timelines on how we can save ourselves...and guess who receives it...

"Hey, this envelope just appeared in my desk drawer...and it says, I'm gonna be President!"
    "Uhhh, Sir...you ARE President. And that's dated 2021..."
    "Oh. Well, I'm gonna go ahead and shred it then...okay, who's up for lunch? I say Five Guys...so, so many guys..."

There's your next big time travel movie, right there...:rolleyes:

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

A couple of obvious ones not mentioned yet:

Planet of the Apes
    Time Bandits

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Et oui. L'inspiration pour "L'Armée des 12 Singes" !

SomeCallMeTim and polchik like this.
  21. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Er........The Time Machine

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Dark (German) on Netflix. 3 seasons and it's the best time travel based thing I've seen. It's not light hearted though so don't expect anything like BTTF, it's very dark and grim but gripping and intelligent TV.

Predestination (film), thought this was excellent. The way the story is told is very clever too. Again it's quite dark and grim.

EVOLVIST, SomeCallMeTim, SRC and 3 others like this.
  23. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Another, viewed around same time as LOM/UK. Travelers: It is an intense "saving-the-world type" drama, but not so somber & dark that the content has an air of hopelessness about it, as I've seen other shows have & have abandoned those, such as (The Leftovers - viewed both outstanding customer reviewers & then, those who'd hated it. No middle ground on that 1. I hung in for, oooph, probably about 6 episodes, hoping there would be some spark of something, anything uplifting in all that despondency, but nope & that was w/appreciating the talents of the actors involved.) -
    I can only attest to Season 1 of Travelers. There are additional seasons, but I viewed on DVD player & Season 2 is not available in NTSC format/I don't own a universal player. It's also multi-themed: Time travel, action, drama, crime, espionage, relationships. Intricate & Riveting. :righton:

Travelers
    [​IMG]

Travelers is a Canadian-American science fiction television series created by Brad Wright, starring Eric McCormack, Mackenzie Porter, Jared Abrahamson, Nesta Cooper, Reilly Dolman, and Patrick Gilmore.[1][2] The series was an international co-production between streaming service Netflix and Canadian specialty channel Showcase for its first two seasons, after which Netflix took over as its sole production company and exclusive worldwide distributor. The show premiered in Canada on October 17, 2016, and worldwide on December 23, 2016.[3] A second season followed in 2017, and a third season was released on December 14, 2018.[4][5]
    Premise[edit]

In a post-apocalyptic future, thousands of special operatives are tasked with preventing the collapse of society. These operatives, known as "travelers", have their consciousnesses sent back in time and transferred into the "host" body of present-day individuals who would otherwise be moments from death, to minimize unexpected impact on the time line. The transfer requires the exact location of the target, made possible by 21st century smartphones and GPS, providing time, elevation, latitude, and longitude (TELL) coordinates that are archived for use in the future.

P.S. Such a cute pup you have there (avatar) @MikeMusic! :)

You enjoyed Timeless (I did, too); While this isn't time-travel, you may enjoy Limitless (the TV show)::thumbsup:
    "Based on the feature film of the same name, `Limitless' follows Brian Finch, who, possessed of extraordinary cognitive powers thanks to the mysterious drug NZT, works with the FBI to help solve complex cases. Working with him in New York City are Special Agent Rebecca Harris, an investigator with a dark past, and her confidant, Special Agent Boyle, who is a former military officer. Brian also maintains a secret relationship with Sen Edward Mora, a fellow user of the drug who has plans of his own for his protege."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdcLM9xYa70

SomeCallMeTim, will_b_free and Shawn like this.
  24. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Leviethan likes this.
  25. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Second vote for Dark on Netflix.
    Excellent series.