Timeless (NBC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I know some truly enjoy a fast paced tv series. I'm enjoying this show's pacing and for me I am perfectly okay with watching character development and book style plot development instead of comic book zooming to a reveal. Two months is only 8/9 shows in. I'm interested in the situations they are going into and I think they are making it interesting most of the time. I think it's perfectly okay for a show to reveal slowly as long as the character development is there. If I recall, Star Trek next Gen didn't really find it's groove until the second season. We had to learn about the characters to enjoy what they did.

dougotte and musicfan37 like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I bailed. I like Abigail and I like "Rufus" but the stories were just silly.

3. It's been pretty entertaining as a light adventure series. The three leads are surprisingly likable.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hate to judge people by their looks, but the woman in the show is not hot enough for me. I'm not saying you have to have a drop-dead gorgeous female actor in every leading role, but I think there are a couple of dozen other women actors on TV who look a lot better.

I don't deny that her acting is serviceable and I believe her in the part, but she's a little odd looking. Think about Eric Kripke's last show, Revolution, which had Elizabeth Mitchell. She would've been absolutely fine, even at 46. That type is what you needed for this part.

5. Lonson

I don't know, Abigail Spencer is very good-looking imo, she can also look appropriate in many time periods, and I'm an Elizabeth Mitchell fan as well but glad Abigail is in this. But the story lines and the general structure . . . just not that great, has the same feel over and over with little movement.

[​IMG]

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

[​IMG]

She studies hard.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  7. carrick doone

One of the things I like about the show is the cast. For the most part the leads are standard character types but there are some differences from other shows. I really enjoy that they went with the more exotic looking Claudia Doumit as Jiya as opposed to the standard blonde with glasses. And they don't play up her obvious physical beauty. I don't watch this type of show so possibly this isn't that unusual but I like that they have deviated from some norm. She is dressed, and she looks, like a really smart, intense, university geek.
    It's not really daring but it's daring enough and the slight differences add to the look of the show.

dougotte likes this.
  8. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Yup.

I'm starting to find the show a bit frustrating to watch.

Which is annoying, because I enjoy watching each episode.

I like the basic premise of the show, the characters, and the actors. It's a fun, entertaining hour...and I usually don't make a point of watching many TV shows on any regular basis. Each episode on its own is interesting to watch. I like how they deconstruct the events of each episode and in the end create a slightly skewed rendition of past events, and the subsequent affect on the present/future. It's what got me interested in the show in the first place, the apparent development of the new timelines with each step back in time. But I was expecting a storyline that developed a little more with each episode. Instead, the show seems to just drop the characters into random past events without any really clear explanation for their actions, and at this point the story in overloaded with vague, confusing, and unexplained motives, and timeline issues seem to have been generally forgotten. I still enjoy each episode, but each one ends with more questions than answers.

For me, "The Alamo" episode was the one that started to make me genuinely wonder where the heck all this was going, and the French War episode was beyond convoluted. I really want to like this show, but it keeps getting harder to do so.

Eric_Generic and Vidiot like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Just watched last week's ep about the first lunar landing & enjoyed it more than the last couple.

Re: Abigail Spencer, I feel she is right for the part.

Eric_Generic and reapers like this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

This starts in the UK this week. It looks interesting (I've stopped reading this thread after page 1) and I'll record the first episodes to try over the Christmas holiday.

12. Lonson

That was the last episode I watched. I thought there were several glaring anachronisms and that sort of bugged me, and I decided I didn't like the show enough to continue.

For example: the "No Signal" image on the screen in the Houston control room. I don't think that was era appropriate. Don't know for sure, but think NOT. Several other things which I no longer remember clearly. I am becoming my father I guess. . . those sort of things drive him NUTS as a historian and biographer.

13. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^This is one of those shows that you most definitely have to turn off your super-critical eye for details & suspend your disbelief for the hour.

The draw (for me, anyway) is the almost child-like feel for the show that harkens back to the favorite sci-fi shows of my own youth. The core team of the show is gelling more & more with each passing episode, and we get more insight to their indivuality & (more importanly) their humanity. I also like how they play up the human aspect of the historical icons they meet. This week's ep with Bonnie & Clyde was no exception.

I don't have high hopes as to how long the show will last. However, when Abigail looks into the camera with those eyes, I melt.

14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

We've been watching this show since the start and have enjoyed every single episode. As a historian by education, I have to suspend my overly-analytical mind and just enjoy it. I hope they are able to build on the first season and continue the show.

Eric_Generic and carrick doone like this.
  15. carrick doone

So the show is filmed in Vancouver. On the Apollo 11 episode you can see an obvious discontinuity(of many I'm sure).

They film a scene where a police officer comes up to the male lead in his car. The cop is wearing a coat and it is clearly raining and cold. Everyone is wearing a coat. And when did Apollo 11 land on the moon? July 20 - middle of summer. And where was all the action in the episode happening? Houston. Odds of Vancouver's wet weather mimicking the conditions in Houston on that day in history is pretty small. That is one of the most obvious continuity problems (if that's what it's called) I've ever seen. We have had an unseasonably amount of wet weather - even for us - since summer.

I forgive a lot on the show with my very small American history knowledge but during that scene I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't just find a way to do an inside shot. They were using Queen Elizabeth park for the shot so possibly they were stuck financially and for time.

Small point. Still enjoy the show.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I usually love time travel shows or films, but after watching from the beginning, I bailed last week.

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently started watching this again on Hulu.
    I had previously only got through episode 1.

Darryl

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I watched the first 3-4 episodes and gave up. The stories did not hold my interest.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

interesting that 'timeless" did a story on the lady behind the lunar landing,,,,,,,the highly acclaimed movie "hidden figures" is on the same subject.

Eric_Generic and Vidiot like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When the producers are cheap and won't shoot the show in LA -- an area where you can have beaches, snowy mountains, cities, suburbs, deserts, and farmland within about 45 minutes in any direction -- they suffer the consequences.

21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Love Abigail Spencer from Rectify and had high hopes for this show. We quit after 4? (The Alamo) episodes. Just seems to be the same thing week after week but just in another historical moment. I still wish the show success but unless it gets some killer buzz we're done.

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

She basically replaced Matt Frewer - yes, good decision - whose character was killed off. His character only appeared occasionally, as does her's.

There's only one more episode left. The series has moved past simply setting the three heroes of the show in a different historical situation each week to more series 'mythology' episodes, especially the conflict amongst Rittenhouse, Flynn and the three time travellers trying to fight the other two, with personal back stories working their way into the narrative.

I hope it is renewed, but I see its ratings have gradually been declining each week. Terrible night for the entire evening on network TV, though. In the same time slot at 10 is Scorpion on CBS (which is winning the time slot easily) and Quantico on ABC.

musicfan37 and Vidiot like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and 'scorpion' is just an absolutely wretched TV show..........wretched.

24. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

lol @ Lucy 'not hot enough'... it's the frequency of the commercials (so many) that really mars my experience watching this show, it's a joke.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Unwatchable by humans. I hate, hate, hate Scorpion. Bad in every possible way. (Except ratings.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.