Timeless (NBC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I've been enjoying the show, and now with Rittenhouse taking over, it's getting even more interesting.

2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I bailed sometime after the Alamo, maybe I can catch up someday.

3. If it had been set I. Aflorida it al let might have worked but, yeah, Houston wouldn't have that kind of weather. Sometimes you have to go with it although I will admit when I see anarchistic things or moments that don't look right it does bug me.

It reminds me of "Cool Air" on "Night Gallery" where in the window out of the back (it's set in the early 20th century as I recall) we see a (at the time) modern car in the distance.

remember the Alamo!

4. I would say it's unlikely Timeless returns next season. The ratings really haven't been that good.

5. It's a Universal show they might give it a second season like "Grimm" which they also own. They are a little more likely to keep it around for that reason (much like Fox did with "Sleepy Hollow") since it's an in house production.

I've grown to enjoy it even if it is silly at times (my whole issue with them always being in a hurry...why? They have a TIME machine they don't need to hurry).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

The finale left enough interesting twists for a second season (hopefully there will be a second season) to continue without merely repeating itself.

musicfan37 and Dennis Metz like this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I hope there is a second season :cheers:

musicfan37 likes this.
  8. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Enjoy the show, better that Eric Kripke's last NBC effort Revolution. If that show can come back for a second season, Timeless certainly deserves a second season.

musicfan37 likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think one problem with Timeless is that it falls into the same cliches that Revolution did: one week, the villain is evil; the next week, the villain does something unselfish and heroic, and there's a vast conspiracy that ties everything together. I would bet anybody $1000 if there's a second season that the lead in the show will become e-vil and suddenly the villain will jump to the other side, just to throw us off balance. (They have already taken the time machine company's boss from evil to secretly good.)

As showrunner Eric Kripke says:

“Timeless is what they call a ‘bubble show’. It may come back next year, it may not. We’re damn proud of the show; the actors are killing it; the reviews are great; and our DVR ratings are quite respectable. It’s the live viewer ratings that need some help."

‘Timeless’ Awaits Renewal Decision By NBC As Season 1 Ends: Is It Out Of Time?

I don't think it's a terrible show, but they need to break new ground and stop prolonging the unanswered questions and toying with the audience. There was a ton of that crap with Revolution, which just went all over the place with some really bizarre, convoluted plots.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  10. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

In this season's episodes it was mentioned by Flynn several times that Lucy ends up helping him and working with him - just not yet but eventually. In the finale it looks like Rittenhouse might still is in control and with Lucy's mother's revelations, my guess is that in Season 2 Lucy is driven (with Wyatt) to help Flynn escape imprisonment and they team up against Rittenhouse. (Then again she might become the Rittenhouse princess her mother told her she was.) Also, Jiya also seems to have acquired some mysterious power to alter time. Will she use that power for good or evil?

musicfan37 and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I think that he last few episodes of the season have been much better than those through the mid season period, which had seemed stuck in a kind of rut of storytelling. Plot and storylines have been sorted to some extent, while at the same time adding potential new, interesting threads. I have to admit, I keep looking forward to each new episode and am never disappointed.

The season finale was quite good, possibly the best since the first few episodes. At first I thought it was a little bit clumsy because it seemed to try and cram a number of plot points and resolutions into the storyline, but it countered that with a number of twists that I think could make a second season a lot more interesting. We'll see...

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They've already proven that the future can be changed. In some futures, certain people are alive; in others, certain people never existed. The show plays fast and loose with logic, so don't assume it's going to behave in a predictable way.

I agree with @HenryH above that the last few shows have been a cut above, but they had been pretty cheap and crappy prior to this.

13. For a show about time travel I didn't think Timeless was particularly imaginative or clever. It became what I expected when I saw Kripke's name attached to it. A mildly interesting show with decent characters held back by its plodding adherence to a case-of-the-week formula.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep -- this is very true. What does not help is that none of the characters have the charisma and impact to kind of pop out. It takes a lot of talent, both in acting and writing, to pull that off. I think Lost did that a few times with their characters, even though the show crashed and burned towards the end.

Lonson likes this.
  15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There's a couple of other time travel tv series about to debut: 'Making History' - a Fox comedy about travelling through time in a duffle bag time machine; and 'Time After Time' - a tv version of the H.G. Wells/ Jack the Ripper film on ABC. Both co-incidentally debut March 5th.

There's also the Netflix/ Showcase show 'Travelers', which has been renewed for a second season (next fall, I believe).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It's too easy to criticize any sci-fi tv show or movie for logical flaws. Ideally, I think the internal logic of the show should be consistent, but there are logical flaws with even the best sci-fi. The ultimate choice with the viewer is whether the show is enjoyable enough to either go with the flow or not, inconsistencies or not. The show has dropped many references that Flynn and Lucy eventually team up to fight Rittenhouse that I think that will happen (if I'm allowed to predict the future) - especially since Lucy felt Flynn's arrest was unjust. In 'Timeless' time lines do change to lesser degrees and people's lives are altered, but the general thrust of history continues on. An argument can be made that even a seemingly insignificant change will have great ramifications, eventually. (Bradbury's 'A Sound of Thunder' seems to have set the 'laws' of time travel fiction, including that small changes will produce great ripples of change; and that a time traveller can't revisit any point in history again. Both repeated in 'Timeless', BTW.) I think a far more interesting question about altering the future is - if Lucy is to fight and defeat evil and in this case that means destroying Rittenhouse, and since both of her parents are a part of Rittenhouse, does she do that knowing that she is risking her own existence?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    jpelg likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It should have been a 90 minute show :cheers:

Dok likes this.
  18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

How many of those are there Dennis?! :winkgrin:

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can agree to a point, but really good SF writing doesn't have logical inconsistencies or flaws -- the writer figured out a fix and added it to the plot and dialogue.

I'm not convinced show creator Eric Kripke is sharp enough to fix problems like this or even care about them, judging by his past work. Time-travel stories are very, very hard to do convincingly even when the writing is extraordinarily good; I would put the Back to the Future movies, Somewhere in Time, Time After Time, and even the original Time Machine in that category.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

OH thank god. I had high hopes for it, then again I didn't realize there were going to be 5+ shows in my face this year with the same old issues: Hooray, I changed history!/Omigod, my BMW is now a Buick...made by Hitler!? Dunt-dunt-dunnnn!

This actually makes me nostalgic for the days when there were 3 ripoffs of Animal House, up until all 3 networks suddenly looked at their competitors channels, and mercy-killed all 3. Why was that good? Because this was in the days before the DVR, and you could count on the nets to quickly replace any canceled program with some reality crap (less scheduling logjams to handle with two VCR's)(Then again, I would have been just a happy with three awful ripoffs of Animal House taking up space, for the same reason...).

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Maybe the Time Travel binge / obsession will cease now
    since a lack maturity was not any of these past tv series..I want
    a show with creativity and maturity. and no cute girl
    leading characters yawn

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Vahan, musicfan37 and Dok like this.
  24. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Or at least long enough for Lucy & Wyatt to hook up (c'mon, all of you were thinking it :p)

25. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.