Timeless (NBC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's extremely rare that a series is cancelled and then suddenly picked up by the same network 3 or 4 days later. Usually, that means they satisfied the network by cutting the budget and/or giving them financial incentives to want to keep the show going.

Vahan likes this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Mr. Belvedere went through a similar situation 30 years ago. ABC was gonna cancel it after three seasons and 51 episodes, and then immediately, the fans spoke loud and hard, and ABC changed their minds. Mr. Belvedere would have three more seasons and 66 more episodes.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet there were money concessions behind the scenes. If sponsors stepped up and guaranteed ad sales, and if the production costs were cut, then the network would renew the show. I don't think the network pays that much attention to fan mail, pro or con.

It's interesting that when Mr. Belvedere was picked up, there was a big executive shuffle amongst the producers, which is not unusual when upheavals happen.

Vahan likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'm glad its back, i liked it.

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I think production costs may have been a factor.
    I spoke with someone recently who was working on Supernatural but had also done a lot of work on Timeless (both are filmed locally).
    He said Timeless was quite expensive to produce, in large part to the period sets and costumes required for every episode. He specifically mentioned the Hindenberg episode as being costly.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why? All that humanity...? :D

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, I'm certain budget was an issue. But I can't see a way to do period costume dramas and sci-fi every week, and do it inexpensively.

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'm glad it's been renewed.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

From Deadline Hollywood, bolding mine:

Vidiot and Dok like this.
  11. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Agree. Another 10 episodes of Abigail Spencer is always a good thing......
    [​IMG]

groundharp, alexpop and jpelg like this.
  12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes, indeed. A very good thing.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Have to check this one it.
    Sucker for time travel genre.
    Is it Twilight Zone esqe?

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

anyone know when season 2 will begin?

15. alexpop

Seen the trailer hmmm, not quite convinced. SEason 2 starts 2018.
    Season 1 DVD box is out Jan 2018.
    30 bucks.

16. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

It's a good show imho, but not really much at all like The Twilight Zone. But give it a go.

alexpop likes this.
  17. It's basically a mash-up between the easygoing adventures of Supernatural and some Quantum Leap. It's not groundbreaking television by any stretch. You have to enjoy the chemistry shared between the three leads to truly get something out of it.

alexpop likes this.
  18. It's Time Tunnel using a ship instead of the tunnel and rather than just participate in these things in the past they have to stop someone from permanently altering the timeline when he steals one of the ships.

Scripts are better than a The Time Tunnel. Nice production values.

Vidiot and alexpop like this.
  19. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Even though I didn’t follow this series after the first episode, I’m interested that it’s coming back this Sunday — since I assumed it was long gone. There seemed to be a glut of time-travel/change-the-past-to-alter-the-future things going on during the season when this premiered, and too much of that sort of plot makes my head hurt. I’ll give it another try if there’s nothing else fighting for my attention.

BTW, Have they ended up on the deck of the Titanic yet? Seems like all time travelers have to end up on the deck of the Titanic at some point. The ship probably sank because it was weighted down with a sudden influx of time travelers.

troggy likes this.
  20. alexpop

Any time travel series where the travelers go to the future?

21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I can't think of any. Going to a different era in the past each week must be expensive enough, but creating a different future era each week would probably be even more expensive.

And, the past has emotional resonances for an audience, where the future wouldn't.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

H.G. Wells Time Machine is the only thing I can think of.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not the future, but "Sliders" had an alternate present each week and some of them were very different realities.

alexpop and greelywinger like this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

The old Irwin Allen series THE TIME TUNNEL did two or three episodes in the "then-future". One went to a manned launch to Mars in 1978. One went to a town in Maine in the same year of 1978. And one veered to One Million A.D. for a section of an episode.

alexpop likes this.
  25. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Doctor Who travels to the future quite regularly.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.