Timeless (NBC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The fourth episode aired Sunday ('Salem Witch Hunt') .

I find the Rufus character whiny and annoying. Starting to hate when he takes up screen space any more.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Glad I don't have to depend on Hulu for stuff like this. "You can watch it, but only if..." is NOT the same thing as, "You can watch it". Why jump through hoops to use a platform where, just having the platform should be the hoop.

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

As a non-cable subscriber, I find the hoops I have to jump through just to watch a TV episode that's already aired on free-TV to be absurd. My situation is that I bought a Roku device to watch CBS All-Access for STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. I bought the $10/month package to avoid commercials and this works out great for me. Over the air reception of CBS is spotty for us, and there are a few shows on the netowrk that we like, so having access to their programs as a stream is a big plus.

The Roku also gives me access to ABC and NBC, but with the aforementioned hoops: I have to wait seven days after an episode airs on the network before I can stream that episode on the Roku, WITH commercials. This is the part that I don't get: if I had a cable (or dish) subscription, I could watch that show within that seven-day window after it airs - with commercials.

Why am I, an over-the-air viewer "punished" so that I can't watch for seven full days? What does that accomplish for the network?

There was no episode of TIMELESS in the week prior to this episode (they were running their JESUS CHRIST: SUPERSTAR special live), and I chose not to watch TIMELESS at 10 PM as we had just had to drive to and from Miami over the weekend for a funeral. We were both tired, and the 10 PM slot is a bit late for us. I actually don't mind watching it through streaming at a time of my own choosing. I just don't get why I'm punished because I don't subscribe to a cable service. We won't be able to see TIMELESS' S2E4 until next Monday.

4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Can't you watch it on NBC's website?

Timeless - NBC.com

5. HGN2001

On a computer perhaps, but not on a TV through the Roku version.

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The second season has only ten episodes and six have been broadcast (up until and including the Robert Johnson episode). Since the series most likely will not renewed, only four episodes are left to wind up not just the season but the series, and leaves me with a few questions, including:

Why was Jessica's destiny altered? If she was brought back from the dead and cultivated as a Rittenhouse operative, why hasn't she just killed everyone in the bunker, yet?

Flynn's sole motivation for fighting Rittenhouse is his deep love for his wife and his grief over her death. He wants to alter his wife's destiny and destroy Rittenhouse. And despite this deep devotion to his dead wife, all of the sudden he wants to have sex with Lucy - that's a little inconsistent with his established character.

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

But understandable. I mean, "I" would want to have sex with Lucy (Abigail Spencer) as often as
    possible.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I just watched the Robert Johnson episode.
    Liked the fact that they made a music related episode.
    Though I kept thinking 'how much stuff are they getting wrong?'
    Love the fact that Mason had a vinyl collection.

Darryl

marmalade166 and sixtiesstereo like this.
  9. HGN2001

I've yet to see the S2 finale, but will do so on Monday.

Interesting to see Abigail Spencer in attendance at the royal wedding.

10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I sure hope there will be a third season. Quite the cliffhanger!

11. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The bride was on a TV show on which Abigail was a frequent guest star.

12. HGN2001

Yep - SUITS.
    [​IMG]

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Man, it was a tough battle just to see the final episode: out here on the West coast, apparently there was a schedule slip and we lost the last 14 minutes of the show on DVR. It was also screwed up on the On Demand service. We eventually figured out that the uncut episode survived intact on Hulu and got it there, and it was worth it: the final 2 shows were chock-full of surprises. I gotta say, they went out with a bang, and I think the last :30 seconds led to one of the biggest cliffhangers I've seen in a long time. I actually laughed out loud at the outrageousness of it all, because it was almost saying, "go on, NBC: we dare you to cancel us now."

The show is uneven, but I have to say it has an awful lot of heart, and the actors' performances have improved quite a bit since the show started. And the time-tunnel conundrums they've gotten into are thoughtful (if not a bit hilarious). I hope they can find a way to allow the show to continue in some form.

https://tv.avclub.com/timeless-ends-its-season-with-a-finale-so-good-it-cant-1826000363

14. sixtiesstereo

Same here...I had to watch the ending on NBC.com. And I agree about the cliffhanger. After spending
    part of the last hour assuming Rufus was dead (and maybe leaving the series) we get the "You
    guys want to get Rufus back or what" tag. Terrific end. Plus Wyatt and Lucy look like they're from some future
    "Road Warrior" scenario. They BETTER have a third season!
    Here's the final scene again for anyone interested:

Vidiot and Steve Martin like this.
  15. HGN2001

Since we don't watch any 10:00 shows live, we've been using streaming options. I have a Roku on our main TV and subscribe to CBS All Access, which gives us all of that networks shows commercial free (with the $10/month option). For the two 10 PM shows that we watch on the other two networks, DESIGNATED SURVIVOR and TIMELESS, I use the Roku's ABC and NBC channel.

Since we are not cable or satellite subscribers at all, we have to both of these shows 7 days or more after it airs. So while TIMELESS' finale aired back on the 13th of May, we had to wait until Monday, May 21st to see it through the Roku. I believe the same rules apply on the networks' websites, where the latest episode is there, but you have to "verify to watch", which means providing them with your provider's name and a password.

I still don't understand why this is. There were articles about TIMELESS all week after it aired with the producer begging people to watch it within a seven-day window in order to reflect in the ratings. But being an over-the-air viewer, I'm punished by the network into waiting eight days to watch - with commercials! Who does that benefit?

mrjinks likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The networks are being dragged kicking and screaming into the streaming/internet age, and they don't like it because it's a massive change in their way of doing business. I think the landscape will be very different in 10 years.

BTW, and now noted hit pop singer Kelly Clarkson is fighting to save Timeless as well (as crazy as that might be to believe):

Kelly Clarkson's next mission after winning 'The Voice' is 'fighting' to save 'Timeless'

No word yet as to whether the show is going to be saved, but it's not on NBC's schedule at the moment.

"As for Timeless, the show seemed doomed a couple weeks ago after NBC didn’t renew the time-travel drama for a third season along with its other last-minute pickups. On a conference call with reporters, NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt didn’t give the obligatory “we love the show but…” when cooly explaining its fate would be decided after the finale aired. When its ratings barely budged for that last episode, odds seemed to go even lower. But then something happened. Which is to say, nothing happened. If NBC was going to cancel the show, why wait? The delay could suggest efforts are being made on some level to keep things going. We’re hearing there should be some resolution relatively soon (if fans are unlucky, then perhaps during the Memorial Weekend bad news dump)."

TV limbo update: 'Timeless,' 'The Expanse,' 'Lucifer' search for homes

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  17. sixtiesstereo

Loved the comments after that EW linked article...seems a lot of people really like Timeless.
    But this comment was hysterical:
    "If Timeless is cancelled I'm pretty much going to hang myself."

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

But with time-travel, you can always go back an hour before and save them.

carrick doone and sixtiesstereo like this.
  19. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

And in 10 years Timeless will have been canceled 10 years ago. I tried to watch an episode a few weeks ago and NBC.COM was never able to cast to my TV. Hey, you don't want me to watch, OK.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hulu's got it. Try it there.

All of Season 2 is up on NBC.com if you can connect the web to your set:

Timeless - NBC.com

There are embedded commercials that you can't avoid, but it is technically "free."

21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I just watched the last two episodes, and loved them. This season has been posssibly even better than the first. I also had to watch the last few minutes on Hulu due to the scheduling delay.

Suppose NBC does cancel it. Would Hulu or Netflix pick it up for another season? With Hulu, we only get DD2.0 audio, but at least we don't have those annoying promos taking up nearly the bottom half of the screen!

Vidiot likes this.
  22. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Thank you for suggesting I give NBC.com another try. The video still freezes on the commercials but after they are over the show comes back on and plays fine. I suppose that could be considered a feature, not a bug.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. HGN2001

These TV network streaming sites are really buggy. I hear a lot of complaints about CBS All Access, which I pay for, but that one I have the least amount of trouble with.

NBC through my Roku generally works OK, but its commercial breaks are often pixellated, low-def, mush. Particularly the network promos.
    ABC through my Roku does some weird things having to do with dropping audio. It will usually get through the first commercial break with the same pixellated promos like NBC. But the second and all succeeding breaks will lose the sound at the network promo. The sound then does not return when the show restarts. To get the sound back, I have to "rewind" the Roku to before the commercial break and let it then skip over it. That will bring the sound back. Rinse and repeat for each commercial break in an hour show, and you'll realize why I'm not sad that DESIGNATED SURVIVOR is going bye-bye.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They are very buggy. What I generally see is a really clunky switchover between programs and commercials, and usually the commercial is a lot louder or a lot softer than the program. And often the 1st second of the show is cut off coming back from commercial. On the other hand... the app is free. CBS All-Access is just about perfect for us, but I don't like the fee.

25. HGN2001

Well one thing in their favor, as dougotte pointed out above, is that there are no bouncing promos all over the bottom of the screen. Those are so obnoxious that I actually forgot how bad they were because we've been streaming everything.

I know that the time of THAT is probably limited because I still remember the early days of digital high definition. The network stations actually had two feeds, one SD and one HD. Not only did the HD feed eliminate the promos and bugs, but they actually ran the credits in full with the real score playing. Quite a treat, but it didn't last forever. Once they started abandoning their SD feeds, the HD became the primary target of their evils.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.