"Times Ain't Like They Used To Be" DVD is essential for vintage music buffs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

The Yazoo DVD called "Times Ain't Like They Used To Be" is essential for any fan olf vintage blues, jazz and early country music fan or anybody who is interested in early popular music, period, as it features newsreel films of many vintage music performances including the Jimmie Rodgers "Singing Brakeman" short (the Basil Smith version of it released in 1930, and this same print can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlURYJI-xs). It also features performances by Bob Wills doing "Fiddlin' Man", a fiddler at a Square Dance, an unknown fiddle band playing Miss McLeod's Reel, the Duke Davis Banjo Band playing Ida, a performance of Turkey In The Straw performed by Fiddler's Convention, Ted Weems' Orchestra doing Cheer Up and more. The Jimmie Rodgers short is worth the purchase of the DVD alone, and even though the print of the Jasper Ewing Brady version from 1929 is in bad shape, I would still buy a DVD if available.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Times-Aint-Like-They-Used/dp/6305831327

2. BradOlson

3. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

100% agree here Brad. This is great stuff, even beyond the awesome Jimmie Rodgers footage.

4. BradOlson

Indeed it is, the other artists and the music the other artists on the DVD included are just as great as the Jimmie Rodgers footage that leads off the DVD and is a core element of the DVD.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That looks excellent! I'll have to pick that up.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The DVD is Region 1 only and unplayable on non-region-free DVD players outside North America.

7. BradOlson

This is too bad. Europeans and anyone else outside North America, this is a reason to get a Universal DVD player or buy the DVD anyway and make a DVD-R for personal playback purposes.

8. BradOlson

I looked up the region coding for the DVD on DVD Decrypter and it really is all region.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In that case the info on the Amazon page you linked to is incorrect, it says "Region 1".

10. BradOlson

Indeed so you can order the DVD after all. This goes to show that one should actually buy a DVD and use a ripping program that gives you the correct region coding info or asking if the Amazon region code info is correct or not. I did send Amazon the DVD Decrypter screen shot that I posted here to help them correct it.

11. BradOlson

McLover says that this DVD has essential footage and that the DVD is well done which I agree with making it worth buying.

12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Brad, it even go farther than that sometimes. I have a DVD (Little Steven Live at Rockpalast) that clearly states "Region 2" on both the cover so that a prospective buyer can see it, and on the pressed disc itself when opened up.

Pop it in a computer and it shows up as a Region 0 disc though. So no problems with your standard North American player handling this.

I wonder if that whole Rockpalast series, which is pretty big, is like that. If so, I'm sure it has needlessly dissuaded lots of people from buying them.

13. BradOlson

In other words, do not always believe the packaging either. Buy the discs anyway and load them in a computer. When I posted this review on Amazon, I stated that the disc is an all-region disc so that the masses will learn what I have found.

14. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

This looks like an amazing release, Brad, thanks for the tip!

15. BradOlson

The 1992 VHS artwork:
    [​IMG]

16. BradOlson

It's been out for several years, but not many people are aware of this.

17. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Wow, I love this stuff, but you're right. Most of it just flies under the radar.

18. BradOlson

Indeed, so order the DVD or for those who prefer VHS, order the VHS right away.

19. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Region codes.....hahahahaha

Haven't worried about that in about 10 years -- rip it and forget it. In the case of this DVD, it looks like it's even 100% legal given that there's no DRM (at least as per screenshot).

20. BradOlson

Yes, the DVD is a pressed DVD and there is no DRM and it is put out by Yazoo Records. The footage is in the public domain.

21. BradOlson

22. BradOlson

23. BradOlson

A friend of mine who does lurk on this forum does think the performances on this DVD are mesmerizing and is proud that these performances have been preserved and I agree with that opinion 100%. This is one of the best DVDs ever issued.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Licensing for Europe only even if the packaging and disc itself have conflicting information?

25. BradOlson

Amazon has corrected their listing taken from my screen shot from DVD Decrypter and it says "All Regions" now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.